Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunting land prices.....

Agree 110 percent . Look, I might of went off on a little rant earlier in the thread and exaggerated some things, I apologize, I do tend to be sarcastic at times too. Buying grounds not in my playbook anytime soon unless something drastic happens like marrying a dr or hitting the lotto . I get it - you can, I can, probably make sacrifices to afford it even on a smaller salary.... The bigger question Ive always had is what Bowtech84 just said . 40 acres or 20 acres is it worth it ? Will it even hold a decent buck or will you just blow half the farm out everytime you walk in there ? What if the neighbors seem like great people , you buy it, then they are next door dumping 100s of AK rounds at it the moment you leave town... What about all that ground I ask permission for that ive roamed for years turkey, coyote, pheasant, goose hunting, mushroom hunting, crappie fishing, ect. What happens when they've given me free roam for all these years and they want to come hunt my 40 acre timber because I kill big bucks on it and I tell them no. Guess whose names getting thrown around the coffee shop in the morning , and guess whose permission is probably getting shut down for multiple acres probably across multiple owners....

Its odd that Bowtech84 brought this up, because a similar situation happened its to me when I was young . I was taught the same thing. My extended family farms also and remember growing up dad always took me fishing instead of brown goat shooting . Id say at the time we had over 15 ponds to fish , we asked to fish a pond that was one of my dads coworkers ponds and got told no. No problem they own the land the pond, they got their reasons whatever. Go on our way, fast forward - guess who calls up and wants to hunt the family ground the following year ? Guess who got told no because we didnt get to fish the pond. Well then it was well uh ya see well uh.... - Guess who never asked again....

Another thing Ive always thought is who am I to say I might buy ground now , and when my kids are old er all the sudden they dont give 2 shits about what lives on that 40 or what they can hunt on it. Ive seen it time and time again with farm kids growing up. Grew up farming hunting, get to highschool all the sudden its not the cool thing to do , it kinda waivers a little, they go to college and soon dads retiring - they have the keys to the farm and turn it down to go live in the city. How do you know your kids no matter how much you try to mold them into deer hunters are going to want to be deer hunters ? The only thing they might care about is , when your worm chow , whats that timber worth at the local realtor so they can put into their downtown Iowa City Loft while wearing a man bun .

Food for thought.

In all of these pessimistic scenarios, the land can be sold, most likely at a profit. Nothing is permanent. Again, owning isn't for everyone. I think most guys that own hunting land enjoy the habitat work as much as the hunting.

Several have already shared some type of story how the managed their lifestyles to give them the opportunity to purchase land. First I guess ill say that I bought(paying for) a 120 acre farm, that me, my wife, and our 4 children built a house on and live on. I also believe that this dream can be more a reality than most people realize but I think a whole lot of people fail to realize that in this instant gratification world, is it takes years of planning, prioritizing goals, and working to meet those goals. For most they just lose the focus and drive to stay on track to achieve their goals.

I see it all the time (I'm a banker), people let their money control them, they don't control their money. We have a saying in the bank, "money is dumb and lazy", you have to tell it where to go, what to do, and keep it busy or it will do nothing but sit there. It is truthfully amazing what creating a budget, putting all extra money in a different account that isn't easily accessible(i.e. no debit card and no checks), within a couple years you will be amazed what you can save, and for most that is the biggest hurdle I see is the ability to get the down payment cash put together. When someone walks into my office and has the down payment or most of it put together most of the time we will find a way to work with them. Also I encourage people to explore options to find easier ways to find financing. For me I used an FSA program that financed 45% of the purchase at 1.5% and I only had to come with 5% down. The catch? I needed to use the land for some type of Ag production. So it was an easy decision, I bought a small herd of cows and run a small cow/calf operation. I dedicated 20 acres of my 120 to housing them, the other 100-Hunting land. They generate cash flow, and cover a decent % of my payment. I know this isn't a valid option for everyone, the point is get creative, ask questions, explore options.

It's been a while so I'm playing catch up but here are some answers to some of the questions.

Me: I'm divorced, no kids, just turned 50. Plan to move to Iowa in about 10 years mostly for the lifestyle and hunting.
I bought my ground 6 years ago with 25% down, money I had been saving for about 10 years. Work all the OT I can and live with a frugal mindset, but I don't want for anything either. I originally got a 5 year balloon loan through Two Rivers Bank and when interest rates began to climb I converted to a 25 year Mortgage with Farm Credit Services. My payment is around $1375 a month. I do not pay any extra because I choose to put the max in my 401K, Roth IRA, and HSA every year. I currently have no ground that is producing income but may have a select timber cut done in a year or two. My ground is 113 acres and enrolled in Forest Reserve so the taxes are less than $230 a year. I currently am saving for another small piece of ground, maybe about 30 to 40 acres that is near my main ground so that I will have another place to hunt and play around on...

Can't wait to retire and get those resident tags!!

Last edited:
I'm really enjoying this thread. Keep it going. I love hearing peoples thoughts and personal stories/backgrounds. It is great motivation. I am 29, next year at this time my house should be paid off and I'll be debt free. Really hoping landownership in a few years is a reality. Its been a dream for about a decade now. So great to hear that not everyone just fell into owning land through inheritance or family help or is working a six figure job.

You sir, should now be expecting to be contacted soon by some realtors! :) :) Just so you know. Well done, you are in great position.

Top Bottom