Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunting opportunities

Chad Hutcheson

I'm from South Ga., we have alot of deer but they are small. I love to bowhunt them but have always dreamed of bowhunting Iowa. Would like to get in on a lease or any hunting opportunity where I can get my foot in the door. Any suggestions?

Just making sure that you are aware that at least in Iowa you will have to put in for the draw as it will likely take 3 to 4 years to draw a bow tag. The odds of drawing a gun tag won't take as long.

That's the place to start. Figure out what you need to do to get drawn. I'm assuming you will be coming to bow hunt? That'll give you a few years to research where to hunt, maybe make a trip up here and scout the ground. There's a lot of good public ground in Iowa that can pay off in a big way if you're willing to do some leg work! The Iowa DNR has an online hunting atlas that can help with finding public land if that's what you choose to do!

If money is no issue, lease a place now and until you get drawn. Big enough to hold and grow some nice ones untouched for 3 years. Money is an issue for me so I'll never try that experiment

• Deleted by Central Iowa
Show…
Top Bottom