Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Hunting this wet weekend.. results???

Trapshooter1

So far this wet weekend has been a bust for me, in NEIA. Just a few small bucks looking for does. Friday, I seen 10 does, and not 1 buck. Saturday, just fawns wandering the woods, and today just small bucks. Feels like the calm before the storm. What's everyone else seeing????

I was on the road for most of the weekend. From N. Iowa to Des Moines area, then to Iowa City/ Cedar Rapids area, then on to Dubuque, and finally Dubuque back to N. Iowa. I was very surprised only seeing 2 bucks pushing does and 5-6 lone does. Most of the action may be happening in the timber or river btms but still expected more than what I saw.

I hunted SE IA from sunrise to sunset. Walked 1k acres, set 3 stands and sat for 1.5 hours till dark. Bumped lots of deer. A few shooters in the mix. Bucks are in pre rut. Working scrapes and rubs. Does aren't in estrus yet. Fawns still by their sides. Down there, I'd say around the 7th to 9th, things will really get popping.

Slow for me in eastern Iowa. Small bucks out cruising and making rubs and scrapes. Did see one mature buck tonight running after a doe hard. But he was way out of range. Things should be picking up this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had a very entertaining sit tonight, my youngest son was about 200 yards away from me. He had a huge buck fight right below him tonight, he filmed it for at least 5+ minutes and they were tearing it up. A 3 year old ended up besting a 4 year old, but it was quite the fight. I could hear it at times over 200 yards away.

We both saw many deer moving, several bucks right on the edge of really getting nuts. I passed up several shots at does since it was so wet out I didn't want to mess with getting deer out of the timber tonight, etc, and the bucks were nice, but not what we are looking for.

I was in Southern Iowa this weekend. Fawns still with does from what I saw. Bucks checking and some chasing without much interest from the does. This is what I saw Saturday. I didn't see enough to get me out in the rain yesterday. Took a long drive in the morning and saw a few bucks cruising. I came home to give my wife a kiss and get some things taken care of at work so I can head back down Tuesday night hoping the cold snap called for actually happens.

I know 2 buddies killed good bucks last Friday. Another buddy shot a buck yesterday midday. In was in a group of 4 that were dogging a doe that must have been close.

Incredible!

The eventual winner of this fight, the 3 year old, had come right by me about 10 minutes before getting in that scrap over by my son. He was grunting a lot, made two snort wheezes within 10 yards of me, a scrape and then wandered over towards Mark when he ran into the other buck by happenstance. Mark said he could see them both heading towards one another, but apparently unaware of each other until they surprised each other about 15 feet apart. Maybe all of that contributed to the intensity of the fight...much testosterone in the air last night! :)

I was on the road for most of the weekend. From N. Iowa to Des Moines area, then to Iowa City/ Cedar Rapids area, then on to Dubuque, and finally Dubuque back to N. Iowa. I was very surprised only seeing 2 bucks pushing does and 5-6 lone does. Most of the action may be happening in the timber or river btms but still expected more than what I saw.
Drove from Iowa City to Bedford, MO and back over the weekend. Only saw 5 or 6 roadkill on the way, a couple were bucks. I saw some does out in fields feeding midday in the rain, no bucks seen chasing any of them. I didn't see any bucks on the move. I saw lots of crops still in the fields, guessing some of the action is happening in standing corn.

Very cool experience for your son! I always love watching a good fight that's not on pay-for-view.....

Sat last night in Ringgold. Saw nothing but squirrels. When I left, saw a bruiser with a doe on the gravel road. I saw and dodged deer the entire way home. Two deer hit cars on roadside that were not there on my way down. Felt lucky to make it home unscathed. I’ll be back out Friday as I have the day off work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had 4 bucks with a doe pinned down next to my house sunday morning. Watched them from the house for over an hour, best one was a 3.5 year old 13 point.

I got lucky this weekend in south central ia. Shot him early morning in the rain. Seen 2 other bucks interested in does but checking scrapes mostly. Does still had fawns I think thurs Friday it will be on. Buddy said he seen tons chasing this weekend and he was only 5 miles away.

Was out Saturday evening...saw a couple does and younger bucks, no real action. Sunday morning thru mid-afternoon was good. Started the day with deer running all around me on my way to the stand. Almost got a chance at a 140 class 9 pt. Rattled him in from about 70-80 yards or so. Came in on a string, but unfortunately not the way I wanted him to and he had me pegged on the ground. Maybe another time!

Top Bottom