Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

I was so cold....

Fishbonker

Life Member
I need some info from folks who have been there and done that, not some sales kid who doesn't know anything but the sales pitch.

I was in my stand yesterday and the wind was just howeling. I have to walk about 1/2 mile to this particular stand. By the time I got there I was hot and had sweated enough so my three layers of t-shirts under my scent blocker suit under my supposed wind proof cammos were wet. How do you dress for the long walk? How do you keep from sweating on relatively warn days and then freezing when the wet shirt next to you skin starts to evaporate? Do you use some kind of wicking undergarment? If so what kind? I've looked though some cataloges and there are wicking underware but I don't want to spend the money unless I hear from somebody that isn't intrested in selling me something, that it works. I don't mind sitting in a tree stand all day and seeing what the little boy shot at (nothing), but I don't like doing it when I'm shivering.

Any suggestions from your experience will be appreciated.

The 'Bonker

I dress so that I'm cold when I leave my truck and carry my heavy clothes with me to be put on when I reach my destination. It's amazing how quickly you arrive at your stand when you're looking forward to putting more clothes on. I used to use polypropolene (sp?) as the first layer, but the static was unbelievable. I threw them out, it seemed like the long underwear and shirt worked as well. Nothing worse than being wet when you climb in your stand.

I take two of the large size freezer bags that have a zipper lock and put them in my backpack along with a small towel and my cold weather t-shirt and undergarments rolled tightly and placed in the bag. When I get to my standsite, I will take off the sweaty wet stuff, wipe down wtih the towel and put the dirty stuff back in the freezer bags. I travel light this all fits in to my small backpack I carry with me with no problem. You can also put hats, gloves,etc in freezer bags to keep them clean and dry and use the empty bags to stash anythng that might smell.

I try to pack all of my heavy stuff in my backpack and just wear what I would feel comfortable walking in. It is a pain to carry all of that stuff in, but if I get too cold I won't stay out .

I do the same as kelcher, dress light so that I'm cold much of the way to the stand. Try to work it so I'm just comfortable when I get to the tree, then climb up and put on all the needed clothes I've carried in and strapped to my backpack. If I think I may sweat on the way in I make sure to NOT wear cotton but a synthetic that doesn't soak up moisture. Good Hunting!

I hunt in some hilly country and it is a tough walk to the stands. I leave the truck cold and put my insulated bibs and coat on at the tree.

Thanks for the info on dressing for the heat. Looks like it might be a moot point from here on out.

I thought about dressing lightly for the walk in and putting on warm clothes when I got to my stand, but I was afraid that I'd "stink up the woods" by not wearing scent stopper clothes into the area.

A few weeks ago I posted a question about scent lock garments asking if they worked. I wasn't going to buy any until it was proven.....well, my wife bought me a full set of scent lock stuff for our anniversery. Looks like I better keep her around.

Thanks again for the imput.

The 'Bonker

Top Bottom