Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

IBA supports feeding baiting bill

Yes, most would, for the main fact that if everyone is going to be tromping around out there, it is doing no good for habitat use for them, and they just as well farm it and make money. Although it may be in a CRP program, the bank note on the purchase of the ground and taxes don't stop there either.

Another well known fact is, with the CRP program, there actually is quite a bit of work that goes into it. You have to burn, disc, and spray a certain % every year (one of the 3, not all 3), the farmer has to pay half the bill on everything (seed, chemical, burning, if he disc, he has to use his/her equipment), so its not just a hand out. Also, they must keep their CRP ground in "farmable condition", meaning that they can't just let it grow up to cedars and honey locust. In the past, many offices have overlooked that part, but they are tighting down on them (as they should, CRP is tillable ground set aside, but should be kept in a farmable condition).

There is a lot of out of pocket expense on that type of ground to the farmer, but he does get something in return, for letting his ground set 'idol' for years. That builds habitat for all wildlife. I am ok with my tax dollars going that direction.

Now, should be talk about welfare, wick, and Fema payments? :grin:

Great points Brian!!!! :way: A lot of people do NOT understand the work and expenses involved with a farm enrolled in CRP. I would gladly invite anyone interested in helping me cut thousands of small evergreens, chop thistles, spray multi-flora rose, or maintain fence during the month of August on my "no work" CRP farm:D In fact, I think if I were to "farm" the ground it would be less work!

Photos of deer 20 yards from house feeding from a bird feeder.

Just a few of the 10 - 20 deer that come around here regularly.

One of the bigger does will stand on her hind legs and hit the
bird feeder with her head so it spills onto the ground.

I do not think they are eating any of it though. :rolleyes:

100_3735.jpg

100_3731.jpg

No sir, You have your political parties mixed up, I want a return on my $, a democrat just wants to distribute the wealth and bail out and support programs like CPR and cash for clunkers. Like DOR stated, the landowner should take take care of the land and be a proper caretaker, without our tax dollars.

How did a discussion about trail-cam baiting get to be a put down of CRP and farmers?:eek:

Hardcore I think you might have mixed things up a little. If the farmer wants the maximum return on his dollar he would farm the ground to the max totally disregarding any and all conservation practices. He would doze all the timber, fill every ditch, plant crops on every water way, use the max amount of fertilizer and pesticide and forget about runoff, ignore any rotation plan and just generally use up the land for 25 years and then move on just like the Colonial tobacco farmers did. Why should we expect the farmer to be a proper care taker of the land to benefit all of us with out all of our tax dollars.

I own 140 acres of which 65 are in CRP classified as Highly Erodible Land (HEL), and for that I receive the princely sum of $4000 per year. Unfortunately my taxes are $2600 per year so my net profit is $1400 so if I really wanted a return on my dollars( remember I pay taxes at the same or higher rate that you do) why shouldn't I just lease it all @ $100 per acre and get $14000 per year and forget about the government handout( your words not mine) instead of trying to be a proper care taker?

My brother in law lies up the road from a crack-whore with 2 kids who is on welfare and gets all of her HIV medications from tax dollars, I just wonder what kind of public access would you want there for a return on your tax dollars? :thrwrck:

Ok I will quit picking on Hardcore, but one last thing I feel I must address. I do agree with him on the issue of the food plots, however maybe not quit as radically. I well know that many supporters of food plots talk about how they help the deer get through the winters and help with nutrition for better fawning and such things. If we are willing to admit it no healthy deer in Iowa will ever starve to death in our winters, so why do we plant food plots? Basically for one reason to either draw or hold populations of deer artificially to a particular area to improve our hunting, even if we don't actually hunt over them, and I believe that there are virtually no food plots that aren't hunted. I know that there are plenty of folks that will disagree with that statement, but it is truly how I feel, and no I don't consider leaving an acre or two of corn or beans unharvested any differently. I have never planted any food plots, but yes I have hunted some of the standing corn the the DNR left on the public ground next to mine so I don't consider myself above any one else. I did only kill one doe from any of that standing corn several years ago.

I have not killed a deer on one of my clover plots in 3 years.
Wow, soft tossed home run pitch there, but I'll pass.:D

As far as the mineral licks I strongly believe that they help with antler development. I know there is no documented research showing this but why then do deer farmers give their deer special feed and minerals to grow big racks.
They do it because they are in the BUSINESS of raising LIVESTOCK (deer) and it is an insurance policy for them to maximize their livestock's potential, whether it helps or not.

Crp

All CRP becomes open to the public during shed season it seems like......:)

So true, I know someone walked mine (found tracks)...I had to look in places that noboby would bother walking (overgrown shrubs, thick cedars, wet creek areas) to find sheds.

CRP is a big reason why Iowa has good deer, and yes there is a lot of maintenance with CRP. I spend hundreds of hours and lots of $$ every year, mowing/spraying thistle and ***t like that.

Hi Guys, been away from the puter for a while. Many won't see that I brought this up in another thread, so in order to get more exposure with this question, I present it here. Here is an example of what just isn't hunting imo. "I put a food plot out that is 35 yds X 35 yds. I have 4 trail cameras pointing at this food plot. Since deer are very easy to pattern, in early season, and my home computer has been receiving images from my trail cams every day, I am pumped! They show a 170" class buck showing up everyday, along with some smaller bucks, for the last two weeks in Sept at 3:00. I can set my clock by this patterned buck. I don't even have to spook him by checking my SD memory card, as my computer and phone are receiving these images. Since this food plot is only 35 yds X 35 yds, and it is sugar beets(man the deer love this "natural food), all I have to do is crawl in my blind or treestand, several hours before 3 pm. Since anywhere he steps in this food plot is within bow range, I should get him."

Now, let's see, this is Hunting? If this is hunting, NO THANKS! No time in the field, using a small, baited area, and electronics to monitor what is going on in the woods? Woo Hoo, what a blast! What is sad, is the same People that think this is hunting, will call fowl if a guy took corn and spread it with his ATV in a 35 yd X 35 yd area, used no cameras, and just hunted hard every day, learning where and what time deer show up and what class of bucks are showing up with his OWN EYES. hoping a shooter would step into the area. How about rigging a bow to a mount in the woods, and you can aim/shoot it at home a joystick from your computer? Not in favor of this? What's the difference?

Will some one please answer this question? Is this ethical hunting? is it baiting by Iowa code? How about your own "code of ethics"?

So does this mean that the DNR is going to start enforcing baiting in Iowa? According to their regs on page 24, here is their definition of baiting:

“Bait” means grain, fruit, vegetables, nuts,
hay, salt, mineral blocks, or any other natural food
materials, commercial products containing natural
food materials, or by-products of such materials
transported to or placed in an area for the purpose of
attracting wildlife.
Bait does not include food placed
during normal agricultural activities.

http://www.iowadnr.gov/law/files/huntingregs.pdf

Now, according to the Merriam Webster Dictionary, the definition of Agriculture is:

Definition of AGRICULTURE

: the science, art, or practice of cultivating the soil, producing crops, and raising livestock and in varying degrees the preparation and marketing of the resulting products : farming

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/agriculture

Looks as plain as black and white, that planting sugar beets, turnips, or leaving 5 acres of standing corn or beans to hunt over, is illegal and considered baiting by Iowa code, as the crop is never meant to be harvested, therefore is not considered normal agriculture activities, and is strictly for attracting wildlife for hunting over.
Food plotters, what do you say?

There is no debate that CRP ground is good for wildlife. My only issue with it, is tax payers funding it. My reply to those that say it is alot of work, to cut down cedars and meet the requirements for the government, it is this way because you want to collect government checks, so you let government rule you. If the land is such a pain to own, and barely covers the taxes and expenses, the simple answer is to just sell it to the state, so they can fund it(my and your taxes) and make it public hunting.:way:

Sureshot, you have small man disorder, and for you, there is no reasoning. You want your baited trail camera sites, because you are the best whitetail hunter on the site. We got it.:rolleyes: Since when does how many big bucks killed by a hunter, have anything to do with baiting ethics?

Sureshot, you have small man disorder, and for you, there is no reasoning. You want your baited trail camera sites, because you are the best whitetail hunter on the site. We got it.:rolleyes: Since when does how many big bucks killed by a hunter, have anything to do with baiting ethics?

Are you retired Hardcore? You have way too much time on your hands to argue with folks.

By your reasoning, there aught to be no laws. Anarchy!

Last edited:
Hi Dwilk!!! , I remember your post from yesterday, you told me a food plot was OK to hunt over, because it required more labor baiting this way, and it was more ethical, lol, then spreading corn over the same area.Your reasoning I guess, Since you worked harder at the baiting method. You and pro food plot/trail cameras over the food plot guys are Still avoiding the questions I just brought up again though.

Last edited:
Later guys, back to work and I am going to see True Grit tonight with the little woman. Have a blessed day all of you, and I hope to see some of you at the Deer Classic!
Don

To be honest with you HCH I am ignoring you.

I have nothing against you but there is nothing to win here.
To be honest I think you just want to argue.

I do a lot of land management and planning on doing more this year
along with the plots.

Good luck to you.

HCH,

Shouldn't you be building a miniture titanium port-a-potty or an aircraft grade aluminum grunt tube/emergency radio for your public land adventures?

I am still wondering why the IBA supported this bill,i know its all about the future and the herd, but why did they not wait until it was introduced on the floor.

If you remember last year it was a 50 page bill with the feeding baiting agenda hidden in the center,it had all sorts of amendments including the raise of 6000 nr tags.

It will be interesting to see how it is introduced this year????

Okay, so now with the other cwd topic started, and he states it is not spread at a bait pile, how does the dnr have any room to stand on that? Especially when they dont even know how cwd is spread? I am just taking that from the other post, and maybe we should discuss it there. But I guess I feel its hard to back something that no one really knows anything about, and its not even a preventative measure. There is no way you can call it that if you dont know how it is even transmitted, imo.. just throwing this out there, and hoping to get back on the actual topic with this conversation

Top Bottom