Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

IBA supports feeding baiting bill

You're more than entitled to, but as of others have done here, give us some logic. The IBA is a great organization, just lacking some leadership at the moment. As some one else stated if they truly are for the good of the Iowa Bowhunter, than this thread alone should show that the Iowa Bowhunter is not backing them on this one. Seems like everyone that is for this won't tell us why, or present factual evidence as to why it should pass.

I know Mr. Willie Suchy and know that he is a smart guy who has the best interests of the Iowa bowhunter in mind.

I support this ban for these reasons:

1. Lower the risk (No matter how small that risk is) of disease being spread by having a mineral lick or feed pile. I want a healthy herd and when someone like Willie Suchy reccomends something, I listen. Others should too.

2. Healthy animals do not starve to death in Iowa during the winter. If an animal does die, it was not healthy or lacked thermal cover. (Survival of the fittest - which is a good thing)

3. There are hunters out there who will purposely feed deer during the late season so as to pull deer away from others hunting grounds.

4. I'm not worried in the slightest that banning feeding/baiting will lead to a ban on food plots. People who believe that have never spoke with a DNR officer or a wildlife biologist. If you do feel that feeding/baiting and food plots are one in the same and in jeopardy, you are a moron.

I want the IBA to have swagger and pull. If the IBA is always against change we may never have the credability that we need to use our voice when it is needed. Pick your battles.

Yes it sucks. I run trail cameras on mineral and corn. I would like to continue... but with no consequences. If there are consequences then I will stop doing so and support the ban. Yes, I believe there is a risk for now.

Sack up, plant a food plot, and quit crying about your damn trail camera photo opps.

But......allowing people to bait would reduce the need for the wasted time stakeout.

How would you prove who put it there?

Not trying to be arguementative with you. I just don't think this bill was created for the reasons you are suggesting. It wouldn't make many things easier for a CO, but it would take a lot of satisfaction and enjoyment away from otherwise honest law abiding people.

The real question is how much are we increasing the risk of any disease spread by using mineral licks and corn piles. That is a hard answer to prove either way. The other issue is will this law actually reduce the contact of deer? Considering other factors such as the use of livestock mineral licks that would still be legal, and the daily social contact between deer, I doubt this law would reduce much contact between deer.

Sack up, plant a food plot, and quit crying about your damn trail camera photo opps.

Alright, here is where my sensitive button got pushed. Do you really think all I care about is a damn photo? Really? Are you that clueless.

Tell me this, do you think last winter was a bad winter on wildlife, not even talking about deer. Did I do any good at all putting out over 6000 lb of corn, alfalfa, soybean protien mix, soybeans and chicken scratch for the wildlife, let alone the deer? When I put mineral out, I don't take a 25lb sack of "good stuff" and dump it in a hole and throw a camera on it. I put a blend of high protien digestiable fat, mixed with trace minerals out for deer in the early spring months, (early March and April), so am I depleting the deer herd?

How many pheasants are left in the state of Iowa? Still really good state to take a bird in? Well, there's a hell of a huntable population where our ground is, but your right, this damn photo opp we've been doing is just a waste of time, and we need to suck it up and get over it.

I really love what the DNR has done for pheasants statewide. Really a great population of them around. Go ahead, blame it on high commodity prices like everyone else. But heavy deep snow and ice surely doesn't cover a food source for a 4 lb bird does it? I haven't even started talking about turkeys yet. It was great finding dead bird after dead bird last year shed hunting, and watching birds in wing deep snow all winter.

But your right, that damn photo opp needs to go.

Also, your "expert" Suchy, what fact did he bring to the table, hard core facts is what I want to see. I am very well educated on this subject, and have done hours of research, and not once is it proven that banning minerals, after season winter suppliments is going to stop, or even help prevent the spread of any disease.

Have you ever watched a deer herd winter up? If you have, you may have noticed, that if the herd is 5 deer or 50 deer, they ALL INTERACT WITH ONE AND OTHER. Or maybe you don't observe this, maybe you sit in a tree in the early November while deer are running everywhere, and think to yourself, hmm, a baiting ban would be great, would not affect anything at all. Definite mind of a deer hunter.

What about the jobs of people who have made a career out of producing these products that we use on a daily basis in a free country, where free enterprise is supposed to take place. What about those buinesses where 90% of their sales are in the state of Iowa? What about the retailers that make a large portion of their income from selling whitetail and wildlife suppliments? To the hell with them over a deer?

Last edited:
Ban it, Ban it all. It would be to bad for the people thats jobs are involved as Nanny stated, but I wouldnt mind seeing it all banned, just make sure food plots go with it. How many big bucks are going to be shot on TV with no food plots? Sorry Lee, Sorry Don. less big buck kills on Tv means less TV shows, which means less commercialization on 99% of things I dont need. A 170" buck may even get back to being considered something special.
Nevermind, the guys with $ will just leave standing corn fields and bean fields and will accidently kick the auger on while combining dumping everything on the ground.

Ban it, Ban it all. It would be to bad for the people thats jobs are involved as Nanny stated, but I wouldnt mind seeing it all banned, just make sure food plots go with it. How many big bucks are going to be shot on TV with no food plots? Sorry Lee, Sorry Don. less big buck kills on Tv means less TV shows, which means less commercialization on 99% of things I dont need. A 170" buck may even get back to being considered something special.
Nevermind, the guys with $ will just leave standing corn fields and bean fields and will accidently kick the auger on while combining dumping everything on the ground.

well there's an open minded way of approaching this..... :rolleyes:

Alright, here is where my sensitive button got pushed. Do you really think all I care about is a damn photo? Really? Are you that clueless.

Tell me this, do you think last winter was a bad winter on wildlife, not even talking about deer. Did I do any good at all putting out over 6000 lb of corn, alfalfa, soybean protien mix, soybeans and chicken scratch for the wildlife, let alone the deer? When I put mineral out, I don't take a 25lb sack of "good stuff" and dump it in a hole and throw a camera on it. I put a blend of high protien digestiable fat, mixed with trace minerals out for deer in the early spring months, (early March and April), so am I depleting the deer herd?

How many pheasants are left in the state of Iowa? Still really good state to take a bird in? Well, there's a hell of a huntable population where our ground is, but your right, this damn photo opp we've been doing is just a waste of time, and we need to suck it up and get over it.

I really love what the DNR has done for pheasants statewide. Really a great population of them around. Go ahead, blame it on high commodity prices like everyone else. But heavy deep snow and ice surely doesn't cover a food source for a 4 lb bird does it? I haven't even started talking about turkeys yet. It was great finding dead bird after dead bird last year shed hunting, and watching birds in wing deep snow all winter.

But your right, that damn photo opp needs to go.

Also, your "expert" Suchy, what fact did he bring to the table, hard core facts is what I want to see. I am very well educated on this subject, and have done hours of research, and not once is it proven that banning minerals, after season winter suppliments is going to stop, or even help prevent the spread of any disease.

Have you ever watched a deer herd winter up? If you have, you may have noticed, that if the herd is 5 deer or 50 deer, they ALL INTERACT WITH ONE AND OTHER. Or maybe you don't observe this, maybe you sit in a tree in the early November while deer are running everywhere, and think to yourself, hmm, a baiting ban would be great, would not affect anything at all. Definite mind of a deer hunter.

What about the jobs of people who have made a career out of producing these products that we use on a daily basis in a free country, where free enterprise is supposed to take place. What about those buinesses where 90% of their sales are in the state of Iowa? What about the retailers that make a large portion of their income from selling whitetail and wildlife suppliments? To the hell with them over a deer?

I'm don't need to argue with you. Go talk to a wildlife biologist and get their take on supplemental feeding. :drink1:

Well said. Can someone tell me why hunting over a 25'X25' area of sugar beets planted is legal,but the same area sprinkled with cmere deer is illegal?

Give the IBA some time to get information out there. This wasn't done on a whim, after hearing more scientific info than anyone on board could absorb, a vote was taken. Bait & feed wasn't the only topics covered, a lot of questions were asked about many subjects

In the coming days you will hear about other conservation groups that will support the ban also.Someone had to be the lightning rod, and the IBA was the first to step up.

So before you have a knee jerk reaction and trash the group and pull your support for the IBA, give us a little time and info will follow.

singlecoyote- Most of the wildlife biologists, really dont have the answers. Thats why we are sitting here debating this. Yeah, the article you show has the points of "oh the feeding killed them" Well I am not really one for that. Being from near the forest city area, and talking with the dnr in the area, it wasnt the feeding that killed them. It was the long hard winter and them starving first, and then completly filling themselves that did them in.
I run mineral licks, and I know the deer show much greater BODY potential after the second year of doing it, and now, most of the deer fill out there bodies quicker. They are healthier because they are getting the minerals they cant easily get to. Therefore, more deer make it through the winter. I have researched deer for many many years, and all of this doesnt point to banning mineral licks. Yeah, you can use the argument that the captive herds caught it that way, well again, CAPTIVE HERDS. If it gets banned, it had better all be banned IMO. No more food plots, no nothing. Because I mean, what happens if the deer starve for awhile, then hit a food plot like Forest City and then die. Well, thats a huge problem...
I am not for the ban, and I am done arguing. Its basically 6 one way, half a dozen the other. People are going to say food plots are great, well i think the minerals have done my deer herd better in my area.

I know Mr. Willie Suchy and know that he is a smart guy who has the best interests of the Iowa bowhunter in mind.

I support this ban for these reasons:

1. Lower the risk (No matter how small that risk is) of disease being spread by having a mineral lick or feed pile. I want a healthy herd and when someone like Willie Suchy reccomends something, I listen. Others should too.

2. Healthy animals do not starve to death in Iowa during the winter. If an animal does die, it was not healthy or lacked thermal cover. (Survival of the fittest - which is a good thing)

3. There are hunters out there who will purposely feed deer during the late season so as to pull deer away from others hunting grounds.

4. I'm not worried in the slightest that banning feeding/baiting will lead to a ban on food plots. People who believe that have never spoke with a DNR officer or a wildlife biologist. If you do feel that feeding/baiting and food plots are one in the same and in jeopardy, you are a moron.

I want the IBA to have swagger and pull. If the IBA is always against change we may never have the credability that we need to use our voice when it is needed. Pick your battles.

Yes it sucks. I run trail cameras on mineral and corn. I would like to continue... but with no consequences. If there are consequences then I will stop doing so and support the ban. Yes, I believe there is a risk for now.

Where to begin? First off, a few of you are way to quick to assume that the people on IBA board are the "experts". They were put there by people who probably know as much or more than they ever will (probably some on this site) and I think they are forgetting that. That is the way politics work, we select officials that we think will best represent us, and when they abuse their power we are often to quick to say, " I know so and so and they are smart and they have the best interest of so and so in mind. BullSHit!!! Don't be a sheep. The board of the IBA expects the members to voice their opinions and they need to hear us.

1. There is no risk at this time in Iowa, and this ban will not hinder it if there ever is! When Willie Suchy recommends something, maybe you should form your own educated opinion and not be quick to latch on to what he sais!
2. Animals do starve in Iowa. The last couple of winters have been brutal here in NE Iowa and with the ice and snow and brutal temps plenty of animals have died. Survival of the fittest is a fine concept, but when there is no access to food, even the elite will starve.
3. Awefully quick to assume that the reasoning behind other people supplementally feeding in the winter is to draw deer away from you!
4. Food Plotting and mineral sites are very different and serve different purposes. You should be very concerned with the banning of anything that you do. This is your right as a landowner! If this passes then where does it stop?
5. The IBA's voice is needed now, and the quickest way to gain credibility is not to just give in on any stance, big or small.

And as for the food plot comment........Let's just say I have put in my fair share.;)

Where to begin? First off, a few of you are way to quick to assume that the people on IBA board are the "experts". They were put there by people who probably know as much or more than they ever will (probably some on this site) and I think they are forgetting that. That is the way politics work, we select officials that we think will best represent us, and when they abuse their power we are often to quick to say, " I know so and so and they are smart and they have the best interest of so and so in mind. BullSHit!!! Don't be a sheep. The board of the IBA expects the members to voice their opinions and they need to hear us.

1. There is no risk at this time in Iowa, and this ban will not hinder it if there ever is! When Willie Suchy recommends something, maybe you should form your own educated opinion and not be quick to latch on to what he sais!
2. Animals do starve in Iowa. The last couple of winters have been brutal here in NE Iowa and with the ice and snow and brutal temps plenty of animals have died. Survival of the fittest is a fine concept, but when there is no access to food, even the elite will starve.
3. Awefully quick to assume that the reasoning behind other people supplementally feeding in the winter is to draw deer away from you!
4. Food Plotting and mineral sites are very different and serve different purposes. You should be very concerned with the banning of anything that you do. This is your right as a landowner! If this passes then where does it stop?
5. The IBA's voice is needed now, and the quickest way to gain credibility is not to just give in on any stance, big or small.

And as for the food plot comment........Let's just say I have put in my fair share.;)

Good points :way:

What about silage pits? I drive by one often that ive seen over 50 deer in. And the area is less than 50'x50'. Should the farmers be responsible for putting in 10' fences around there pits?:rolleyes:

As far as disease goes, whats the difference between baiting a camera out in the woods and baiting a camera within 50' of your house? Do people not think the deer will herd up close to a house like they would out in the woods?

What about silage pits? I drive by one often that ive seen over 50 deer in. And the area is less than 50'x50'. Should the farmers be responsible for putting in 10' fences around there pits?:rolleyes:

As far as disease goes, whats the difference between baiting a camera out in the woods and baiting a camera within 50' of your house? Do people not think the deer will herd up close to a house like they would out in the woods?

No they don't, deer are not allowed near residency's. Those feeders are there for the tweety birds, not deer.

singlecoyote- Most of the wildlife biologists, really dont have the answers. Thats why we are sitting here debating this. Yeah, the article you show has the points of "oh the feeding killed them" Well I am not really one for that. Being from near the forest city area, and talking with the dnr in the area, it wasnt the feeding that killed them. It was the long hard winter and them starving first, and then completly filling themselves that did them in.
I run mineral licks, and I know the deer show much greater BODY potential after the second year of doing it, and now, most of the deer fill out there bodies quicker. They are healthier because they are getting the minerals they cant easily get to. Therefore, more deer make it through the winter. I have researched deer for many many years, and all of this doesnt point to banning mineral licks. Yeah, you can use the argument that the captive herds caught it that way, well again, CAPTIVE HERDS. If it gets banned, it had better all be banned IMO. No more food plots, no nothing. Because I mean, what happens if the deer starve for awhile, then hit a food plot like Forest City and then die. Well, thats a huge problem...
I am not for the ban, and I am done arguing. Its basically 6 one way, half a dozen the other. People are going to say food plots are great, well i think the minerals have done my deer herd better in my area.

The truth is here in Iowa, deer get the vital minerals they need from our rich soils. They potential harm of providing a mineral lick outweighs the potential benefits in my opinion.

The strong will survive an Iowa winter, the weak will not. Natures way of keeping a HEALTHY herd.

I've said this before and I will say it again, to lump baiting/feeding together is foolish. The DNR knows there is a huge distintion. It's got a little to do with keeping with fair chase and keeping it "sporty". (Not carrying in a bucket of C'mere Deer and dumping) Maybe others states like/need baiting for hunting, I don't here in Iowa.

I plant food plots on my farm to hunt over (and to). The deer do benefit from the clover/alfalfa and crops as they have for years, but the turnip plots are for hunting and I make not bones about it.

nanny- It's a wonder how any deer in your area survived before you started your food and mineral program with them.

Singlcoyote, just curious....do you feel that your foodplots benefit wildlife, and help some make it through the winter?

If so, wouldn't Nanny's supplemental feeding do the same?

Top Bottom