Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

IBA's Stance

OneCam

I read this on another site, Iowadeer - and thought it was good information to pass along . . .

Question by a Concerned Non Resident
[ QUOTE ]
My question is: Is the IBA in favor of more NR deer licenses? The DNR has been in favor of more nearly every year and the legislature always says no, and usually its because the IBA is against it. They believe they are protecting hunting land from being leased by the N R's.
They may be in favor of more doe licenses for nr's, but I don't believe that Iowa is selling all that are offered now.
About 10 months ago there was a lot of controversy on this site regarding sb 18, which would have allowed more nr licences. Even though it was being pushed by the DNR and The Chamber of Commerce, it was killed easily. I would be very surprised if something was accomplished along these lines. The Iowa DNR isn't in control, the legislature is. Very sad.

Larry Nuyen

[/ QUOTE ]

Response - elkhunter
[ QUOTE ]
Larry,Will do my best
The IBA would like to keep NR at the same level they are now.More and more land is being bought or leased.Leaving less hunting areas for those people who can't afford to buy or lease. Mainly 3 years ago the IBA supported a program that was backed by the DNR,it stated if you leased 500 acres or more for hunting you needed to have a management program in place, large tracts of land were being locked up.Only a few large deer were being shot and the deer herd went crazy.They would head to the nearest food source with usually was a local farmer trying to make a living. It helped to create hot spots with to many deer.Then several farm groups decided we should kill off all the deer.
We have had groups from Pike Co. Ill. and Buffalo Co. Wi.tell us the last thing you want is unlimited NR liscence both counties have been bought up or leased.
Lastly I have been trying to elk hunt in Az. and NM for the last 5 years,may never draw a tag.Don't know why Ia. should be any different. We have wonderful opportunities to deer hunt in Ia. We don't want to close the state,just keep it as one of the top producing big deer states in the US. There are many other factors and I've probably haven't explained things that well. But I tried.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a great example of why we should all support the Iowa Bowhunters Association!

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

It may be to late to post this, but the NR tags given out have increased. From 6,000 to 12,000. From what I understand this was supported by the IBA. This was straight from the mouth of the DNR. The problem the DNR is facing is money cuts. The DNR officer for my county is also the officer for 5 other counties. This is due to mandatory retirement enforced by the legislature. The raise in NR tags is not to help with the control of the deer population, it is to help with the budget. This sounds crazy with all the money Ia residents already put into hunting and fishing but the money that is spent on licenses and tags is not given to the DNR for other projects and programs. Instead the legislature takes this money and do as they please. On the topic of the sudden increase in deer population I think that subject is sore among some people. Yes you see more deer and the #1 bullet the legislature use's for the inrease of NR tags and the issuance of more doe tags is the increase of vehicle/deer accidents. The thing that people don't realize is that there was a 300 percent increase in drivers the past 15 yrs. There are alot of people out there that would not give 2 cents if the whole deer population was destroyed. If you talk to the local farmer about hunting alot of them tell you to kill as many as you want. They just see the deer chowing down on their crop, then you have insurance claims on destroyed crops and then the insurance companies come up with all money spent on claims related with deer. Thus making for another bullet for legislature. As our (human) population increases it then appears that the deer population is getting larger also, because deer are pushed outta their natural habitat. Granted the population has increased but not the way that people make it out to be. The way things are going there is going to be a change in the hunting regs. and laws. At times now and ecspecially in the future is when we need the IBA the most. Sorry for the rambling.

The increase for NR licenses isn't out of committee yet,this is legislation proposed by the DNR.The IBA will only support an increase in licenses if it is tied to a Deer Management program.

I just have one question and I hope I can get a serious response. Where in the world is all the money from the state of Iowa going? All the money just off of hunting and fishing alone should make a very big chunk. That's not including the tobacco tax and gas tax! Now can someone tell me why we have to allow more NR tags, releasing state troopers, school teachers and less road construction. Where is the money going??
cloud.gif

I'm not an expert, but that has never stopped me. In response to where has all the money gone: As I recall the state has had a huge drop in tax revnues. I'm not sure why that is, but the money generated by hunting tax (license fees), tuition, gas tax, etc etc etc isn't making up for the other lost revenue.

On another note, on another post there was a quote about the legestaure is in charge not the DNR. I for one think thats a good thing. I'd rather have an elected official making choices than an appointed one.

I absolutley stink when it comes to posting on political issues and probably shouldn't post becasue I am not very well informed.

The 'Bonker

Top Bottom