Ice Fish

Discussion in 'Fishing General' started by tracker, Feb 27, 2019.

1. tracker

tracker Life Member

How many of you guys on here ice fish??
    I just started a few years ago and really enjoy it!! I try to hit alot of the lakes around me and travel up to Clear Lake, Silver, Rice and Crystal 2 or 3 times a year early when we don't have ice.
    I thought hunting was expensive. It doesn't take long to climb over a grand when you start buying all the nice stuff for this sport also. But what the hell, you can't take it with you right?? LOL

Misskiwi67 likes this.
  2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. NWBuck

NWBuck PMA Member

Yeah, we usually hit the Iowa Great Lakes for panfish several times a year, but haven't been there yet this year. With the snow pack we have now, probably not going to happen for awhile unless a person has a sled or likes to walk a bunch. If you could get set up with the basics for a grand, you've found bargains. Shack, vexilar, auger, rods, etc. And if you have a family member that likes to go along, better have 2 vexilars. Still fun, and love the fried fish!!

NWBuck

4. goatman

goatman I hunt days ending in Y

Nothing better than fish out of cold water.
    ice fish.jpg

5. Ishi

Ishi PMA Member

All I see is food on the ice!

goatman likes this.
  6. Fishbonker

Fishbonker Life Member

Do you folks think winter fish taste better than summer? The few hard water fish I caught years ago seemed to be firmer (no they weren't frozen) and just taste better. Am I nuts? Don't answer that.

7. Misskiwi67

Misskiwi67 Member

I haven’t been out this year, but we got this mess last year after I was sent “home” from the hospital in early labor... 12 hours later my son was born.

Attached Files:

8. mplane72

mplane72 Active Member

I do. I also give my fillets an ice water bath right after cleaning the rest of the year and I think it firms them up.

9. tracker

tracker Life Member

With the catfish there is a huge difference. The pan fish are better also I believe.
    Its just great being able to set up above the fish and not float off your target area like you do with a boat.
    Plus the electronics are crazy!! Vexilars, cameras, panoptix-it's crazy
    Its still like summer fishing though-you can mark all the fish in the area but getting them to bite can be frustrating. Especially with pressures changing.

10. tracker

tracker Life Member

Bonker the filets are good for your belly, and the fish scraps would be good for your trapline. Could possibly double your production with some fish cleanings for chum!

11. Misskiwi67

Misskiwi67 Member

I don’t notice the difference with panfish, but cold water is huge for catfish and trout. We don’t keep Catfish unless they are caught at ice out.

12. Central Iowa

Central Iowa Administrator

Yea I’m into it! We fish quite a bit. Building new house this year it’s cut into the fun but we still get out!

13. tracker

tracker Life Member

I caught my first walleye through the ice this year and a personal best 15" crappie.
    Still have yet to bring a catfish up. I usually fish suspended so that may not happen for a while

14. muddy

muddy Administrator

Well this thread makes ice fishing appear to be moderately enjoyable... who wants to take me, i'll supply the bourbon.

15. bigbuckhunter88

bigbuckhunter88 PMA Member

Ice fishing is a blast. Don't have to worry about coolers to keep the beer or fish cold.