If deer & deer hunting disappeared what would you do?

Discussion in 'Iowa Whitetail Conference' started by IowaBowHunter1983, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Rjack

Rjack Well-Known Member

"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice, for we are hunters and we want our freedom." -- Chief Sitting Bull, Hunkpapa Lakota Sioux, 1831-1890.

I will find something to hunt.

Sod Savage, fatboy, 203ntyp and 3 others like this.
  2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. cybball

cybball PMA Member

More turkeys than now and I’d knock the rust off the trapping equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. mrush

mrush New Member

I would focus all my efforts into Bobcat habitat and food sources, might take a few years but I think that would fill the void for me.

muddy likes this.
  5. deerhunter93

deerhunter93 Well-Known Member

I've pheasant hunted some the last two years and have enjoyed it and love watching my dog. I'd be bird hunting and probably do a lot more fishing.

6. Fishbonker

Fishbonker Life Member

Trap more possums. I will have a 300 tail inch year yet.

7. Khughes2345

Khughes2345 PMA Member

Get another shorthair and bird hunt a lot more than I do now. Possibly move out west. Can’t really fathom the possibility of never deer hunting again

8. Wapsi Tree

Wapsi Tree Active Member

I might finally take the time to try and meet a few guys from here that seem interesting....although I think Daver may just be a bot.

9. Tmayer13

Tmayer13 PMA Member

I hate this thread....gives me night mares....I mean what would we talk about...."hey Jerry, hows the kids? Investments doing good? Lawn looks great! Those hanging baskets are really blooming!" Jerry IDGAF!!!!!! I want to know how the cams are looking? Any new deer showing up? Food plots do well?.....

I dont even know how to have a normal conversation with people that does revolve around hunting whitetails....

muddy and EatSleepHunt like this.
  10. BDAHMS

BDAHMS Be here Now

I would first explain to my wife who I am and why I am home on a weekend and most evenings........she would certainly be confused

and then I would certainly become an out of state western hunter. With the amount of money I spend each year for deer hunting from stands, blinds, travel, batteries for cameras, time, food, etc- i could save up and do an over seas hunt every few years as well. Would be a life changer for sure if deer disappeared in iowa, but I would adapt and find something else to obsess over while crying inside constantly as if the bears just missed another field goal off the upright for the playoff win :(

Tim Hull, meyeri and EatSleepHunt like this.
  11. Muskrat24

Muskrat24 Member

BDAHMS,
    I guess you could switch to being a Patriots fan. They don't seem to have much of a down year! :'( As you can tell I am a Chiefs fan!

meyeri and BDAHMS like this.
  12. Daver

Daver PMA Member

Well thank you, a "bot" is one of the nicest things anyone has ever called me. :)

Bowfisher and Deer&Ducks like this.
  13. lunker99

lunker99 Member

As many have said, do more bird hunting like I used to and start my trapping a little earlier

14. IowaBowHunter1983

IowaBowHunter1983 Super Moderator Staff Member

This thread made me realize something I had not pondered previously. Western hunters have a huge stake in CWD happenings in the Midwest. If the Midwest turns to shit, there will be more people hunting other things out west, likely putting more pressure on critters out there.... (yes limited draw areas in many spots so those go relatively unaffected )

15. Ishi

Ishi PMA Member

On the business side it would be a relief I think.. then the madness would stop..... on the way of life of being a bow hunter life would SUCK

16. DannyBoy

DannyBoy Active Member

I would buy up as much depreciated rec land as possible and manage exclusively for quail! Deer/no deer, I am really getting the bug to hunt and fish other species, using different methods, outside of the midwest. But it is hard to imagine the day where having several deer in the freezer any given year is no longer the norm and I would guess that that reality would hit me harder than I hypothetically presume it would.

Like that quote from Sitting Bull suggests, most of us would find something to hunt, myself included.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Daver likes this.
  17. Spysar

Spysar Active Member

Here's something to think about. When I started fishing in the ocean, I could catch unlimited cod. They were everywhere, and big ones too. Boatloads of cod were wasted all the time. If a commercial netter didn't like the size of his haul, it would get dumped back, everything dead. Little by little , technology got better. People got greedier.

Then they put a limit of 10 cod a person. This was only 10 years ago. It was too late, the cod were in trouble.

Now, the last few years, there is NOW ZERO COD possession. You all have heard of Cape Cod , Massachusetts right? The great codfish that shaped early history here ? Guess what? There is no cod fishing for the common man anymore. You can't keep a cod in Cape Cod anymore, or in the whole Gulf of Maine.

I would have never thought a day would come in my lifetime where I couldn't cod fish. That day is now.....

So if your replying to this thread, halfway laughing at the thought of no deer hunting...….Just be aware, it could happen...

18. loneranger

loneranger Well-Known Member

No kidding. You are right on Spysar. My Dad told me stories of his childhood when if some one saw a deer it was big news. Those days could easily come back again.

19. Daver

Daver PMA Member

Although I am not predicting a return to this...I am old enough to remember hunting in IOWA where you could easily hunt for several days and see NO deer, or very, very few. Granted, we sucked as hunters back then, but still. :)

20. jkratz5

jkratz5 Super Moderator

A lot more dead geese and ducks

21. Muskrat24

Muskrat24 Member

I have been thinking of this when I read the posts about hunting deer or elk out west. CWD is out west already so of our Iowa deer demise is from CWD, unfortunately heading west may not be an option either.