Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Important Message From The IBA

G

We at Iowa Whitetail are strong supporters of the IBA ( Iowa Bowhuters Association ) and ask that you click on this link and read the following page.

IBA

Thanks for your support!

deericon.jpg

Iowa Whitetail

We need all resident sportman to call the Governors office in the morning, read the IBA link above, all this information is true!

We need your support!

Gov. Office, 515-281-0561
Gov. Office Fax, 515-281-6611

[This message has been edited by iowawhitetail (edited 01-25-2001).]

THANK YOU TO IOWA WHITETAIL FOR SHOWING YOUR SUPPORT FOR THE IBA,AND KEEPING ALL SPORTSMEN UPDATED ON THIS IMPORTANT DOVE BILL VOTE.IF WE ALL STAND AS ONE, NO MATTER OUR WEAPON OF CHOICE,WE WILL SUCCEED!
IBA BOARD MEMBER

If you've got time call the Gov and tell him to side with the sportsmen.
(515) 281-5211

----
Here's the news from the Des Moines Register

Dove bill passes Senate

Posted at 10:49 on 01/25/2001

The Iowa Senate voted 26-24 Thursday to allow Iowans
to hunt mourning doves.

The controversial proposal now goes to Gov. Tom
Vilsack, who has said he would veto it because it is
poorly written and would give too much responsibility to
unelected administrators.

Hunters and birdwatchers watched from the balcony as
lawmakers debated the emotional issue.

Supporters say the bill would allow a wholesome pastime
that poses no threat to the overall dove population.

Critics say it would target a beloved songbird that has
little value as meat.

Pat,

Thanks for the official report, now on to Governor Vilsack's office. All Iowa hunters must unite and call the Capital and ask for support on this very important issue.

When I was on the NRC ( Natural Resources Commission ) I sat through a 7 1/2 hour meeting discussing this exact issue and I had no idea how many non-hunters are out there. I thought to myself never in Iowa would I see such an out cry. Compare any other state to Iowa and you won't find the natural resources managed better. Sure we have our little problems but that is part of the fine tuning it takes to makes things "just right."

Today it's doves, tommorrow it could be deer, stand up and be counted, make the call or send the fax TODAY there is still time.

We just e-mailed 1,200 of our readers this next message, lets make a difference and get this Bill through!

[This message has been edited by iowawhitetail (edited 01-30-2001).]

A concerned and informed reader passed this on!

Folks

Please keep the letters, phone calls, faxes, and e-mails coming. Reports
that the governor was receiving 3 to 1 against might have been true Friday
AM, but by Friday PM we were dead even according to an aide that answered the
phone.

Rumors to put to rest. The DNR supports HF 43 100%. The House and Senate
did not circumvent any law with this bill as the governor is claiming. The
House and Senate interpret the law and they can do so in any way they choose.

Governor claims this bill tries to deceive Iowans by not having the words
dove or hunt in the language. Come on, every paper in the state has referred
to it as the dove bill. Does the governor really think Iowans are that
stupid?

Your all doing great. Keep the correspondence to the governor coming.

He'll get the bill on Wed at 11AM. Please attend the SPORTSMAN'S ORANGE HAT
RALLY AT THE CAPITOL AT 10:30 TO ENCOURAGE THE GOVERNOR TO SIGN THIS BILL.

Letters
The Honorable Governor Tom Vilsack
Office of the Governor
State Capitol
Des Moines, IA 50319

Phone........talk with an aide or leave a message
515-281-5211-- This # only works 8-4:30, Mon-Fri
515-281-0561-- Message drop only

Lt. Gov. Sally Pederson
515-281-5204

Gov. Office FAX
515-281-6611

Governors office Website Contact Point http://www.state.ia.us/government/governor/comments/

gen.office@igov.state.ia.us
rose.mary.pratt@igov.state.ia.us

It appears the Governor vetoed the bill this afternoon. Here's the story from the Des Moines register.

-----

Vilsack vetoes dove hunting bill
Posted at 18:57 on 01/30/2001
DesMoinesRegister.com

Gov. Tom Vilsack vetoed a controversial dove-hunting bill Tuesday, saying most state residents don't support it.

"My office has received contact from thousands of concerned Iowans regarding this issue, and my conclusion is that this policy is not right for our state at this time," he wrote in announcing his decision.

The governor said the state has more pressing problems to deal with.

"Unfortunately, since the beginning of the 2001 legislative session, the Iowa Legislature has expended a great deal of time and effort on this issue," he wrote. "This issue has now been decided. Iowans expect the Legislature to now focus on the issues important to Iowa's families."

Vilsack said last week that he didn't like the way the bill was written. But his veto message didn't mention technical concerns with the bill's language.

State Sen. Mike Sexton, R-Rockwell City, questioned Vilsack's contention that a majority of Iowans oppose dove-hunting, which has been banned in the state since 1918.

"I'm a little stunned," said Sexton, chairman of the Senate Natural Resources and Environment Committee.

Here's the legislative votes too. Remember this next time you talk with your representive. Thank them if they voted for the bill and remember where they stood next time you cast a vote.

----

Iowa Legislature 2001
How they voted
The dove-hunting vote

Thursday's (Jan. 25, 2001) roll-call vote by which the Senate favored legislation to establish a dove-hunting season in Iowa:

Votes for (26):

REPUBLICANS (18) - Angelo, Bartz, Behn, Boettger, Gaskill, Iverson, Johnson, King, Kramer, Lamberti, McKinley, McLaren,
Miller, Redwine, Rittmer, Schuerer, Sexton, Veenstra.

DEMOCRATS (8) - Dearden, Deluhery, Fiegen, Flynn, Fraise, Gronstal, Kibbie, McCoy.

Votes against (24):

REPUBLICANS (12) - Drake, Freeman, Greiner, Jensen, Lundby, Maddox, McKean, McKibben, Redfern, Rehberg, Tinsman, Zieman.

DEMOCRATS (12) - Black, Bolkcom, Connolly, Dvorsky, Fink, Hammond, Hansen, Harper, Holveck, Horn, Shearer, Soukup.

Here is Wednesday's (Jan. 17, 2001) roll call vote by which the House favored legislation to create dove hunting in Iowa:

Votes for (57):

REPUBLICANS (42) - Alons, Arnold, Barry, Baudler, Boal, Boddicker, Boggess, Bradley, Brauns, Broers, Brunkhorst, Cormack, Dix, Dolecheck, Drake, Eddie, Eichhorn, Elgin, Hahn, Hansen, Horbach, Houser, Huseman, Jacobs, Johnson, Kettering, Klemme, Larson, Manternach, Millage, Raecker, Rants, Rayhons, Roberts, Sievers, Siegrist, Sukup, Teig,
Tymeson, Tyrrell, Van Fossen, Weidman.

DEMOCRATS (17) - Bukta, Chiodo, Cohoon, Huser, Kreiman, Larkin, Mertz, O'Brien, Reynolds, Richardson, Stevens, Tremmel,
Warnstadt, Winckler, Wise.

Votes against (41):

REPUBLICANS (12) - De Boef, Finch, Garman, Gipp, Grundberg, Heaton, Hoversten, Jenkins, Metcalf, Rekow, Shey, Van Engelhoven.

DEMOCRATS (27) - Atteberry, Bell, Connors, Dotzler, Falck, Fallon, Foege, Ford, Frevert, Greimann, Hatch, Jochum, Kuhn, Lensing, Mascher, May, Murphy, Myers, Osterhaus, Petersen, Quirk, Scherrman, Schrader, Seng, Shoultz, Smith, D. Taylor, T. Taylor, Witt.

Absent or not voting (2):
REPUBLICANS (2) Carroll, Hoffman
DEMOCRATS (0)

Pat,

Thanks for the heads up! Obviously Governor Branstad was a strong supporter of the DNR and the Iowa Sportsman and Governor Vilsack is not.

We tend to believe State of Iowa biologist know whats best for Iowa wildlife not politicians.

Anyway, it doves today I am sure it will be deer tomorrow.

Thanks for everyones help!

deericon.jpg

Iowa Whitetail

Is there a way to locate email address for local repersentives? I noticed that my repersentive was in favor and would like to just send a short note thanking him. Will this bill make it back to the house for them to revote and possible overturning the veto?

later
Doug

Here's a link to the Iowa Legislature's website. You can drill down from here and find your senator or representative's e-mail address. You and also get bill and voting info too. Sort of a useful place when trying to keep informed.
http://www2.legis.state.ia.us/

Yep, it was pretty easy to get comfortable knowing Gov. Branstad would be out in southern Iowa on the Gov's hunt each fall.

Gov. Vilsak has not made it yet......

Thinking back to the governor's election two years ago, I don't remember seeing very many, if any, "Sportsmen for Visack" bumper stickers. It might set one to thinking how much of this decision was made as a payback. (Not that politics ever enters into the wildlife management arena.)

Top Bottom