Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Increase in NR tags HF 2517

Fishbonker

Life Member
This bill would increase NR tags from 6K to 8K. It gives the NRC the ability to add or take away the number of tags issued up to 8K/year but not less than 6K/year.

Link to the bill: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ba=HF2517&ga=88

The way I read Section 2 Emergency Rules, Admin rules 17a.4 sub section 3 and 17a.5 Sec 2 paragraph b the NRC doesn't need to publish an intent to change the rules. They could see on a given year that the 7K they sold aren't enough and up it to the 8K with out public input. The Administrative Rules Committee, made of legislators, is the check and balance so if they passed the law that the NRC is implementing we, the voters and residents of Iowa have no input.

Links to the Amin Rules: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/code/17a.4.pdf https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/code/17a.5.pdf

This is the successor to HF 2014. Thread can be found here: https://www.iowawhitetail.com/forum/threads/nr-tags-with-a-twist-hf2014.59381/

put all the extra tags in one of the tillable counties in northern iowa that have 5 trees in the whole county. Haha.

.....trying to fun humor in this onslaught.

This bill would increase NR tags from 6K to 8K. It gives the NRC the ability to add or take away the number of tags issued up to 8K/year but not less than 6K/year.

Link to the bill: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ba=HF2517&ga=88

The way I read Section 2 Emergency Rules, Admin rules 17a.4 sub section 3 and 17a.5 Sec 2 paragraph b the NRC doesn't need to publish an intent to change the rules. They could see on a given year that the 7K they sold aren't enough and up it to the 8K with out public input. The Administrative Rules Committee, made of legislators, is the check and balance so if they passed the law that the NRC is implementing we, the voters and residents of Iowa have no input.

Links to the Amin Rules: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/code/17a.4.pdf https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/code/17a.5.pdf

This is the successor to HF 2014. Thread can be found here: https://www.iowawhitetail.com/forum/threads/nr-tags-with-a-twist-hf2014.59381/

Does this bill have to go through Sub and full committee or is out out on the floor?

It is on the House debate calendar. Which means it doesn't need to go through the subcommittee or full committee. It went through that as HF 2014. While this bill is on the debate eligible calendar it still needs to go to the daily debate calendar. Once it makes the daily calendar it can be called and voted on at any time.

It is a compromise bill of sorts. The 500 tags for NRLOs was dropped in favor of the 2K more tags.

A post above does touch on a topic that has not been addressed in the bill. How will the tags be allocated? Which zones will they be in? Will they be distributed in CWD surveillance zones only? Will they use whatever formula they used to establish zone quotas in the past? As far as I know it could be the wild wild west on the fine points of this bill.

I've spent some time the last week sending e-mails to Natural Resource Committee members opposing any NR increases. It appears that plenty of education is needed and it needs to happen in the near term. We all know that increases in the number of NR licenses will increase the deer population. It's a shame.

One other issue I don't understand is how a nonresident can party hunt on a nonresident antlerless license. NRs are already taking advantage of this 'loophole' though my guess is it was never intended to be a 'loophole' it is a way for NRs to take advantage of our resource....by design.

I've spent some time the last week sending e-mails to Natural Resource Committee members opposing any NR increases. It appears that plenty of education is needed and it needs to happen in the near term. We all know that increases in the number of NR licenses will increase the deer population. It's a shame.

One other issue I don't understand is how a nonresident can party hunt on a nonresident antlerless license. NRs are already taking advantage of this 'loophole' though my guess is it was never intended to be a 'loophole' it is a way for NRs to take advantage of our resource....by design.
I dont see how it's any different than a resident party hunting. If the antlerless tag is available and they have any sex tags within the party they are hunting with I dont see a problem with it

Reactions: OMB
I dont see how it's any different than a resident party hunting. If the antlerless tag is available and they have any sex tags within the party they are hunting with I dont see a problem with it
Because often times the owner of the any sex tag isn't anywhere close to the 'hunting party'. Fact. They are usually sitting back at the house.

Last edited:
Because often times the owner of the any sex tag isn't anywhere close to the 'hunting party'. Fact. They are usually sitting back at the house.

One other issue I don't understand is how a nonresident can party hunt on a nonresident antlerless license. NRs are already taking advantage of this 'loophole' though my guess is it was never intended to be a 'loophole' it is a way for NRs to take advantage of our resource....by design.[/QUOTE]

Party hunting is legal in Iowa during the Shotgun seasons.

Hardwood,
The Natural Resource Commission consists of seven citizens, appointed to six year terms by the Governor and confirmed by the Senate. The Commission works with the Conservation and Recreation Division of the Department of Natural Resources. This division includes Engineering, Fisheries, Forestry, Land and Waters, Law Enforcement, State Parks, and Wildlife. Some of the substantive work of the Commission includes reviewing and approving hunting and fishing administrative rules; public land donations, acquisitions and easements; construction projects; general business contracts; leases; grants; and annual budgets.
The commission meets monthly, generally the second Thursday, with a field tour occasionally scheduled in conjunction with the meeting. Time is normally scheduled at each meeting for members of the public to address the commission about topics related to natural resource management. The meeting agenda will be published approximately a week before the meeting. For further information about meetings you may contact Kim Rasler at Kim.Rasler@dnr.iowa.gov.

The NRC is made up of appointees by the govenor, some are involved others aren't, they make decisions about issues we here really care about all year round. In my opinion ex-governor Branstad's son Marcus is one of the best & most involved members. I have seen him @ 2 of the February season setting meetings bringing other comission members. They make a lot of decisions when the legislature is not involved & should be a focus of members here in & out of the legislative session.

We focus so much on the legislature, these appointees are holding meetings & making important decisions each month of the year. Just a hint from me, don't just focus a few months of the year. These people meet 1 time a month & listen much more than your representatives, because they are not spread so thin. If members here want to make an impact, contact the NRC repetitively. It is better than playing defense every session.

Sorry to give a NR this info! But I like that u share frequently & are involved! I hope other members heed this advice, from someone that is a neutral observer, not by choice

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Remember you and I had a conversation on this subject a few years back;)
This loophole just keeps sliding under the table every year. I and others have brought this up at the DNR meetings.
Some day they might address this loophole but I’m not holding my breath.

Last edited:
Party hunting is legal in Iowa during the Shotgun seasons.

Remember you and I had a conversation on this subject a few years back;)
This loophole just keeps sliding under the table every year. I and others have brought this up at the DNR meetings.
Some day they might address this loophole but I’m not holding my breath.[/QUOTE]

So you want to take that away now also? I thought you wanted to keep regs the same?

If a NR has a antlerless tag and they use for themselves and kill a doe I’m perfectly fine with that!!!
If they kill a buck with a doe tag yes that loophole needs to go. It would be a nightmare to enforce.

Last edited:
It definitely happens. If you remove that, you put NR hunters in a bad situation. They may not be able to hunt their land that they own for 2-4 years, including does.

Reactions: OMB
It definitely happens. If you remove that, you put NR hunters in a bad situation. They may not be able to hunt their land that they own for 2-4 years, including does.

They can hunt turkey, pheasant, quail, rabbits, ducks, squirrels, woodchucks, mushrooms, coyotes, raccoons and the list goes on. Unless, you think some of these guys just bought ground in Iowa because you think they want to come hunt trophy bucks? They can hunt every single year and have a great time. But, the party hunting for non-residents does get a ton of abuse. Many of those tags are getting filled from NRLO's sitting over foodplots and then the neighbor is getting called to come with the tag after the kill. Or, worse yet, the neighbor just gives them the tag to use when they show up for the gun season. I know of guys paying the neighbor to have their kids get tags also. It does not always stop with one buck either. A lot of NRLO's are actually paying locals for the opportunity to use those tags. It is a loophole that needs eliminated. Until then, enjoy using it. That is the benefit of having loopholes. I guess ethics can be ignored when the system is "unfair". We can call it the Bernie Sanders tag.

They can hunt turkey, pheasant, quail, rabbits, ducks, squirrels, woodchucks, mushrooms, coyotes, raccoons and the list goes on. Unless, you think some of these guys just bought ground in Iowa because you think they want to come hunt trophy bucks? They can hunt every single year and have a great time. But, the party hunting for non-residents does get a ton of abuse. Many of those tags are getting filled from NRLO's sitting over foodplots and then the neighbor is getting called to come with the tag after the kill. Or, worse yet, the neighbor just gives them the tag to use when they show up for the gun season. I know of guys paying the neighbor to have their kids get tags also. It does not always stop with one buck either. A lot of NRLO's are actually paying locals for the opportunity to use those tags. It is a loophole that needs eliminated. Until then, enjoy using it. That is the benefit of having loopholes. I guess ethics can be ignored when the system is "unfair". We can call it the Bernie Sanders tag.

Do you have proof of this happening? If so, this sounds like something you should be contacting a game warden about. If not, this sounds like the usual rumor that gets passed around without fact to make all non-resident hunters sound like the boogeyman.

Come on. Residents don't abuse the hunting regs. Just those darn NRLO's and NR hunters. Whatever.

Do you have proof of this happening? If so, this sounds like something you should be contacting a game warden about. If not, this sounds like the usual rumor that gets passed around without fact to make all non-resident hunters sound like the boogeyman.

It is a fact and I know of multiples. I did what I felt was appropriate. Not all non-residents are the boogeyman. I know some that are more ethical than many of the locals. But, the loophole is an enforcement nightmare and needs closed.

I don't blame the residents either. Some of them are just using it as a way to supplement their farm income and some do not even understand that what they are doing is illegal.

I have a feeling that residents probably abuse the law as much or more than nonresidents. "Hey honey, while your at walmart get a first season shotgun tag and get little 5 year old Timmy a 2nd season tag so I have my bases covered."
I get the system is flawed, but I'm not gonna preach that we need to leave the laws alone in one breath, and then try changing them in another.

Top Bottom