Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Incredible weekend of fishing in Sask.

SaskGuy

Late ice off pushed my first trip of the season to the cabin back a week. I took Friday off and headed for the cabin.
Prepared for the center of friendly banter and all sorts of lies.
BogoLSZIcAAUl0G.jpg

This trip is for 9 yrs and above so I only took Reid. (Tait gets to come next year). He wandered down to the dock while I got stuff ready around camp. When I wandered down I discovered he had been whacking both pike and these things.
BogonbqIMAAzMIK.jpg

I can truthfully say that despite no real huge fish I have never had pike action like this weekend. I believe Reid and I boated at least 300 fish in two days, maybe more. It was insane. I am most definitely living the good life. I just love fishing these hard fighting, aggressive, nasty critters this time of year in real shallow water.
BoiEDHDIUAANWIw.jpg

More pics to come tomorrow.

I guess there is really no point in sharing a dozen photos that look the same. Here is Reid and one of many beautiful northerns he caught on day one. Despite being relatively close to having spawned out, they are solid fish.
BokBufEIQAA_svT.jpg

This was one of the rare ones that appeared really wore down from the spawn. Holy alligator head!
BokDByvIMAAk_2A.jpg

At a time on life where your memory is selective about what remains 30 years later, this weekend is one he will never forget. Fish after fish, after fish. It is his true love.
BokIPXEIYAAAQTq.jpg

When it is glass calm and they are in shallow flooded bulrushes it is a real rush. Lure hits water, they appear out of nowhere, attacking. It was a feeding frenzy. I went 7 casts in a row with a fish over 30 inches and once went 37 casts in a row before I made a cast where I did not at least get hit once by a speed rocket. We only kept track of such stuff because it was absolutely ridiculous. I truly believe nobody in SK caught more pike than we these days. Maybe they found larger ones somewhere but the sheer numbers was off the charts.
BokI_hNIMAE2sfE.jpg:large

Awesome. I grew up chasing pike with my Dad. Always was a good time. About all I know how to catch. Jealous of that fishing.

That's awesome! I've had one day where the pike hit like that. 40 landed fish in 4 hours and I lost just as many. The exception is my biggest was 34 inches with most under 30. I was throwing buzz baits in shallows and spoons along weed edges. Nothing like watching a fish try to smash a top water bait 5 times in one retrieve! Congrats again!

After I had had enough losing blood to pike teeth we hit a different spot to get some walleye. They were almost as easy.
BomRvBKIYAAETrK.jpg:large

Though the real big girls had already moved onto the main lake we managed some decent fish in a short time.
BomSH0WIEAAov46.jpg:large

They were, but they were in about 3 ft of water and would have eaten a sparkplug on a piece of baler twine.

Top Bottom