Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Interesting...

tmhrmh

I just found out that Non-residents can no longer purchase Doe tags. They will be reserved for Shotgun seasons only...

Very Interesting...

I called DNR and they told me that according to a survey, most of the does that were killed were during shotgun so they decided to give out all the doe tags to shotgun hunters...

I think something's brewing on the horizon for next year...

I saw no advertising about proposals or any legislative changes, and I do a lot of research...

I must have missed it...

I think,, if anything this will make a lot of the resident shotgun hunters angry because most resident hunters are shotgun hunters and DNR is going to be adding more shotgun hunters to the mix...I could be wrong but that is my opinion...

One of the main reasons is there were a lot of non residents buying the doe tags in the archery season just to be legal to be in the woods. They then shot bucks and headed for home.
I am on the tip board and at one of our last meetings 4 out of 12 cases involved non residents getting caught doing this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rut-Nut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One of the main reasons is there were a lot of non residents buying the doe tags in the archery season just to be legal to be in the woods. They then shot bucks and headed for home.
I am on the tip board and at one of our last meetings 4 out of 12 cases involved non residents getting caught doing this.

</div></div>

Exactly!

My question is will this stop the people from killing bucks illegally or just make them change the way they kill them?

Plus if they party hunt, can't they kill a buck if one of the party members has a buck tag? Correct me if I'm wrong, please..

I would think that this would only make them hunt with shotguns instead of bows. And with a lot more people in the woods, I believe it would make it a lot harder to catch them.

All they did was to stop people that wants to hunt deer legally with a bow. Out of 2100 Non-resident bow tags that were given out last year 4 people got caught taking deer illegally. That is about 99.8% of the rest of us that took deer legally. Too bad majority doesn't rule in this case.

To me it is no different than refusing legal gun owners the right to own guns because of the people that use them for illegal activity.

Again, this is just my opinion...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbllung</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just found out that Non-residents can no longer purchase Doe tags. They will be reserved for Shotgun seasons only...

Very Interesting...</div></div>

You said "Non-residents" can't buy them. That just tells me that NR won't be buying doe tags and hunting with the party shooting bucks and tagging them with Resident tags. It is a good rule. This will take those outfitters out of the mix who bring in people with doe tags and give them their Buck tags.

What the DNR needs to do is to shut down the Outfitters that are supplying buck tags to NR who buy doe tags and take away the hunting priviledges from the people who break the law.

Don't take away our rights to buy NR doe tags because of someone else's stupidity...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbllung</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What the DNR needs to do is to shut down the Outfitters that are supplying buck tags to NR who buy doe tags and take away the hunting priviledges from the people who break the law.

Don't take away our rights to buy NR doe tags because of someone else's stupidity... </div></div>

Agreed!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbllung</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

All they did was to stop people that wants to hunt deer legally with a bow. Out of 2100 Non-resident bow tags that were given out last year 4 people got caught taking deer illegally. That is about 99.8% of the rest of us that took deer legally. Too bad majority doesn't rule in this case.

Again, this is just my opinion... </div></div>

There were many more than 4 cases. The TIP board only looks at cases where the informants called the TIP Hotline and the 4 cases I mentioned were brought up at the one board meeting. There have been others at other board meetings and many cases not presented to the TIP board.
This has been a big problem. It won't stop poaching but it will make it harder for them to poach in the bow season as they won't have a valid tag.

As for the shotgun season, party hunting is legal and a non resident can shoot as many bucks as the party has tags. I'm not sure what can be done about this except to ban all party hunting. However trying to enforce this is the reason it was made legal in the first place.

Thanks for clearing that up...

Reckon that means that I'll be shotgun hunting this year with a doe tag and finding a party to hunt on the property that I've been bowhunting the last 3 years...

These laws are giving me a headache...

Well this sucks. I didn't know the DNR did that. So if my dad doesn't draw a non resident LateML season anysex tag, this means he can't get a NR antlerless holiday tag?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shrek1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How are you goin to do that if nonresidents can't get doe tags? </div></div>

Thats what I am asking, if the NR holiday tags are still going to be available or not.

Wrong on only the bow seasons...

Here is a link to the website that explains it (you can only buy for the shotgun seasons and disabled hunters)...Read the first line that says new for 2008.

http://www.iowadnr.com/wildlife/pdfs/08nrdeer.pdf

You can only buy doe tags during the two shotgun seasons...

You cannot buy doe tags for any other hunting season...

This is frickin great. We won't sell you a doe tag to bowhunt with legally but we will sell you one to shotgun hunt with and if you hunt with a party you can kill a buck (where's the logic in that?)....I've always said I would never hunt Iowa with a shotgun...Boy that's changed after this year...My plans just changed to hunt in December...

Does anybody hunt in Fremont and mills county that would like to make up a party hunt to shoot the $%^& out of some deer...I have a few pieces of property that I've only bowhunted, but the DNR just changed it to shotgun...

Thanks DNR...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nannyslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shrek1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How are you goin to do that if nonresidents can't get doe tags? </div></div>

Thats what I am asking, if the NR holiday tags are still going to be available or not. </div></div>

Per the regs "Whats new for 08' 'Beginning December 15 any available optional anterless-only tags may be purchased for the non resident holiday season"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbllung</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wrong on only the bow seasons...

This is frickin great. We won't sell you a doe tag to bowhunt with legally but we will sell you one to shotgun hunt with and if you hunt with a party you can kill a buck (where's the logic in that?)....I've always said I would never hunt Iowa with a shotgun...Boy that's changed after this year...My plans just changed to hunt in December...

Thanks DNR... </div></div>

For the bowhunting it is a great rule - it should curb some of the problems already stated.

As far as the buying a doe tag and party hunting and shooting a buck...it's been that way for years. I don't know if I agree or disagree with it, but if there are the buck tags available in the party what is the difference if a resident shoots it or the NR shoots it - same number of bucks are taken. Touchy line for sure...I don't agree with the outfitters just giving out their resident tags to make $$ though.

Top Bottom