Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Interesting...

RutNut...

Not to put a damper on anybody's hopes for leftover tags, but
NR any sex tags sold out the first day they went up for sale last year...

I have a friend that started calling at 6a.m. and finally got through 4 hours later and they had 1 tag left...

So don't think you are going to get any leftover tags because it won't happen...

Not great for all residents. I know that the best week of my brothers year ( Iowa resident ) is the week that I come down to Iowa in November to bowhunt. It is also my Uncles ( another Iowa resident) favorite time as well. We say we hunt for horns but in reality we hunt to spend time together. You will not see impressive racks in our livingrooms, but we have plenty of venison in our freezers. The decision by your DNR was a cop-out. If you think you have a problem- deal with it. You assume that every out of state hunter is after horn and a violator.I can deal with the fact that I,a non-resident, can only get a buck tag every 3 or so years. I hunt private land which has an over- obundance of deer. I spend a week hunting with my Dad, Uncle, and Brother each year just hunting. Hunting like it is supposed to be. We hold out for mature deer but have no problem taking a doe. Hunting as I grew up with is dead. It is now a rich mans game, much like what exists in Europe. Iowa residents can hold on during your lifetime if you own land, but the quest for bone has ruined the real essence of hunting for our future generations. My son has been practicing with his bow all winter. I promised him a trip to Iowa to shoot a deer(doe)with his bow this fall. The new regulations will make this impossible.I have not decided how to explain to him why we cannot go this fall.I have the same dilema with telling my brother, dad and uncle that our annual hunt is off. Do you have a shortage of does in the area I hunt, hardly! I have a problem with Iowa residents being able to leagally harvest 2 bucks per year, and I cannot use my bow to harvest one over-abundent doe. I am willing to pay $100/doe when residents pay $11.50. Enjoy what you have now as it will come to an end when we have no young hunters to carry on. Maybe we'll just come down and "party" hunt your shotgun season. This would be much easier anyway as I have plenty of uncles, aunts, nieces and nephews who would love to party hunt the shotgun season.Believe me, your sacred bucks are much safer with a bow in my hand than a shotgun or muzzleloader!!

Amen Magic Man. I commented on this a couple of months ago and I'll comment again. I'm confused when the minority of Iowa resident hunters, bowhunters, can influence an entire state legislature to support their agenda while the bulk of resident farmers/hunters(Farm Bureau) fall short regarding their proposed hunting legislation. On the heels of this years legislation we have no non-resident doe bowhunting tags implemented by the DNR. As Magic said an NR with a bow in his hand is far less threatening, and less intrusive regarding land, than the resident and NR driving deer and banging every parcel of land they can party hunting during shotgun season. I'm not a politician but the skids are getting greased behind the scenes by someone using resident bowhunters as the front.

Preach on Magic_man....

You just explained what I have been trying to say...

I believe something big is on the horizon in the future...Who knows they may just outlaw party hunting...If they do, lets see how many residents will abide by that law...

I paid $250 2 years ago for a doe tag and drove 1000 miles just for the chance to see what all the hype is about in Iowa and I found out real quick...I still have that tag because I did not kill a deer, but the enjoyment of coming to Iowa, sitting in the woods and enjoying nature was enough for me...Last year I paid about $400 for a buck and doe tag and again, I got both those tags in my gun cabinet...I met new people and made some good friends and was hoping to see them this year but that won't happen because of something I did not do...

Thanks DNR...

"Hunting as I grew up with is dead. It is now a rich mans game, much like what exists in Europe"

Good point. But one point to consider is that there are allot of Rich NR's coming in and buying and leasing up land that takes away from resident hunters.

"Enjoy what you have now as it will come to an end when we have no young hunters to carry on."

At the rate land is being bought up, there may be no place for my son to hunt when he gets older. There are many parcels of ground I know of already that are off limits to anyone, that some local old timers all say were good grounds for deer in there day. But now the NR landowners let no one on.

I would say calm down, this may just be a rule for a year or two. The deer numbers in our area seem to be down. Everyone we know that hunts saw lees deer this year. Maybe the DNR is slowing things for NR and keeping som privlages for the Residents who pay the taxes all there lives that fund the department. Just a thought.

Magic_Man,

Well stated and completely true. It is not all about antlers and scores, no overgrown goat can replace time spent with family and friends.
Now my plans to visit Iowa during the bow season, spend time with relatives and hopefully take a doe from an area that is heavly over populated is down the drain.

Someone definitely got greased behind the scene and the bowhunters are taking credit. Yahoo DNR!!! Instead of making progress toward controlling your herd, you just dug your hole deeper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deeraddict</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
At the rate land is being bought up, there may be no place for my son to hunt when he gets older. There are many parcels of ground I know of already that are off limits to anyone, that some local old timers all say were good grounds for deer in there day. But now the NR landowners let no one on.

</div></div>

Not picking a fight here, but deeraddict, if you owned the ground would you give anybody permission, besides close friends and family?

This seems like a poorly thought out legislative move to make a small group of people happy on paper. Let me see, take away doe tags with a bow, then leaving the only option for harvest to gun hunt where they will undoubtedly group hunt and kill bucks. I would rather see 2000 bow hunters shooting 30 yards from a tree stand then adding the same numbers blasting through the woods on deer drives with a shotgun. Am I suppose to believe this will improve the herd? And there are NO shortage of does on our area in se iowa and extensive crop damage on my farm. Believe me, bucks will drop before does offering group hunting in a 4 day shotgun season. If the dnr were concerned about poaching they would hire more co's to take care of the multiple poached deer shot from the road that I can guarantee you outnumbers the number of guys that bow hunt and take a buck. Who the hell came up with this great idea???

Somebody's either got pictures of someone in an incriminating position or somebody's got a lot of money...

I'm thinking the first...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trophywhitetail</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> take away doe tags with a bow, then leaving the only option for harvest to gun hunt where they will undoubtedly group hunt and kill bucks. </div></div>

Apples and oranges: the CO's found that some NR bowhunters were buying a doe tag and illegally harvesting antlered deer. "Party" hunting during shotgun season is a legal activity.

Too bad the actions of a minority ruined it for everyone.

Let's see. Because CO's have found a few residents who poach deer the DNR should decrease the 2 bucks per year for a resident to 1???? Makes zero sense. Oh, I forgot because R's pay taxes, sales tax, buy their groceries there, etc. they get a mulligan!

Arguements between Residents and Non-Residents, will never end,,but why can't the DNR just leave rules alone for even two seasons in a row? The DNR in the state I came from was the same way. Every yr new regs. Are all the states like this?

South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky...

If you are not happy with Iowa, pick another state. There's lots of deer in lots of timber in lots of other places.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This seems like a poorly thought out legislative move to make a small group of people happy on paper. </div></div>\

What you NR's don't seem to understand is the fact that you are the minority here in Iowa.

We (residents) are the majority. I feel that for the majority of bow hunters in this state, this is a great move. THANKS DNR. It is because of you (and other hard working individuals) that everyone else (the other states) envies* us.

We, as residents, will continue to stick together to keep this state as a top producer in quality whitetails, instead of an overrun run Illinois where leased hunting ground is the norm (not that thats not starting to occur here).

I really don't undestand it.....most of the complaints about how our deer herd is run comes from those who don't even live in this state.

If you don't like it, or want to continue to cry about it, then do what Heart Surgeon said, and find somewhere else to hunt.

It won't hurt my feelings AT ALL /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Like I've said before, I don't come to Iowa just to kill a big buck...In fact I've hunted in Iowa for 3 years and I've never pulled my bow back on a deer (let alone a buck)...I come to Iowa because I love going to a different place and Iowa is one of the best places to come...Luckily I've met some great people and made some good friends and I enjoy coming to meet them...Every hunter I meet is as friendly as the farmers I meet...Reckon if I met some resident hunters that has the attitude that some of the people on this post has then I might not want to come back...Fortunately that hasn't happened yet...

I lease 240 acres from a farmer and 80 from an out of state land owner and the only problem I have is trespassers...So residents, before you start pointing your finger at the non-residents breaking all the laws you might want to look at the other 3 fingers pointing back at you...

Bring on the shotgun season....At least this way if I hunt in a party then I can legally kill a buck every year instead of every 3 years and I can still apply for bow season and get preference points...

This is great....Whoever thought of this (THANKS)

dbllung,

When I first read about this new regulation it really blew me away but after reading your post it seems the DNR has again shot itself in the foot at the unintentions of the R bowhunters. I came to Iowa ever year during the bow season, first to visit my relatives and friends and second to hunt quietly for a good eating midwest doe from an overpopulated herd. If I drew a buck tag, then a good eating midwest buck! So now, I'll come instead during the SG season armed with a doe tag and preference point, party hunt with family and able to shot a big buck every year if I'm lucky. Seems like a great deal for NRs, no needling intended but just facts of the matter.
So Sureshot1, this deal has really turned on you like a mad bull. Instead of glotting over your success you should be contacting your DNR rep to find out how to undo this mess. Quite honestly, it is NOT in the best interest of the R bowhunters. DNR should have left well enough alone!
And yes, many folks that frequent this site are opposed to NR hunting in the state of Iowa in any fashion and that will never change as log as the site stays up. But you'er the ones in the miniority in my opinion! Have a great day!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nannyslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deeraddict</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Not picking a fight here, but deeraddict, if you owned the ground would you give anybody permission, besides close friends and family? </div></div>

Nanny, If i met them and thought well of them yes, yes I would. Infact I have talked to a few NR on other sites and tried to work out a trade a hunt deal for them to hunt the ground I hunt for a deer and I would get to go to there area, just never had anything come together. I only started to hunt after getting married, and joining my father in law and 2 brother in laws. One opening day a new guy showed up. He was a student at Palmer College in Davenport. My father in law bumped into him at Walmart in the sportingoods section. They began talking, and the father in law invited him to come out and hunt with us on his ground and the surrounding areas we hunt. After he finished college, he moved back west to Idaho, then Arizona. He has been back to hunt with us as a NR 2 times since. We are looking foreward to him coming back again, and us making the trip to Arizona hopefully soon. I am not against NR and said I think this may change, just my opinion. But I still do not like the way the almighty dollar is driving everything, and hope that I am lucky enough to someday soon, buy a piece of grond to hunt, even if it is in a COOP buy with other hunters, R or NR.

Top Bottom