Iowa city deer hunt.

Discussion in 'Iowa Whitetail Conference' started by TDswitchback26, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Ishi

Ishi Hang & Hunt Enthusiast

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. Rjack

Rjack Well-Known Member

"Iowa City Deer Friends was instrumental in putting together nonlethal strategies, which include an annual deer count, fence construction, and driver awareness."

So, they were planning to "manage" the deer numbers by counting them, putting up fences and educating drivers. I guess that works if the fences are pens they capture the deer in and then let them starve to death and the driver awareness is how to "swerve to kill a deer".

Glad the DNR is standing strong. Hopefully they don't buy this stall tactic and force them to use bow hunting now and skip the " one more round of sharpshooting".

Ms. Dieterle made some great points. Maybe she should run for council.

Yep, gotta love the crossgun picture.

4. Daver

Daver PMA Member

A few random comments as a "near" Iowa Citian. (My backyard fence is the county/city line, but my business/work is in Iowa City, so I guess I count for something. :))

1. There are too many deer in town, at least on the northern and eastern sides in some areas. One of my boys lives right off of Court St. in town and one day last fall he looked out the front window and there was a little buck standing street side, within 5' of a bus stop, looking around nonchalantly. He laughed out loud since he commonly sees people standing right there waiting for the bus...this day a little forkie appeared to waiting his turn to plunk down his fare and get on the bus too. :)

2. I have seen published estimates that there are 10,000+ deer in city limits...I would be shocked if there were actually 1/10 of that number. There are some problem spots, yes, but if say 200'ish were harvested, I think 95% of the problem goes away.

3. Iowa City has radically overpaid for sharpshooting over the years. I hope the bow hunt is successful and it should save the city TENS of THOUSANDS of dollars.