Iowa City deer population control

Discussion in 'Iowa Whitetail Conference' started by Fishbonker, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Fishbonker

Fishbonker Life Member

I was forwarded a last minute email this afternoon about the Iowa City plan to use sharpshooters to control the deer population in Iowa City. There is a Natural Resources Commission meeting tomorrow where Iowa City plans to ask for permission to pay to have White Buffalo kill the deer.

Iowa City has resisted using archery as a viable means of population control. The email I received claims that tax monies from across the state will be used by Iowa City. I don't know this for a fact.

The email had a link that I followed and it took me to the Iowa Firearms Coalition. Here is a link to their action alert center: http://iowafc.org/action/ You can contact the NRC through their action center.

The meeting is tomorrow so if you want to respond it has to be now.

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. Tim Hull

Tim Hull PMA Member

CANT FIX STUPID. ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS. I have taken around 75 deer in the Muscatine City hunt since 2005.

Sligh1 likes this.
  4. bigbuckhunter88

bigbuckhunter88 PMA Member

Agree mind was blown when I got the email. They dont want to hunt them which wouldnt cost money and also would create food for the needy. But they will fork out money to have them killed.

Sligh1 and Broot like this.
  5. Ishi

Ishi PMA Member

Wille Suchy finally walked away from the stupidity in Iowa City years ago!!
    The liberal tards would rather pay astronomical prices to keep deer in check than have a bowhunter kill a deer for recreation.
    I would like to see muddy kill a Booner the nose plants on the 20 yd line in Kinnick now that would make a story :cool:

6. muddy

muddy Administrator

I'd like to see muddy kill a booner also.

RoosterCogburn, Sligh1 and Wapsi Tree like this.
  7. Tim Hull

Tim Hull PMA Member

My cousin has permission on 300 acre farm inside city limits of Iowa City. I am sure we could kill some big deer.

8. muddy

muddy Administrator

Have your cuz PM me if he needs to adopt a hunting partner. You can stay in Muscatine city hunt and save all that gas money. You're welcome!!

Tim Hull likes this.
  9. Rjack

Rjack Well-Known Member

If you read the material, it is crazy. They basically say they know bow hunting is the way to go and it has worked well everywhere it has been used. But, they admit Iowa City will NEVER elect a city council who will let that happen, so they would like to quit talking about bow hunting.

They want the numbers reduced, but can't stand the thought of killing them. Somehow they fell better about "professionals" doing the job at a huge expense, rather than letting hunters do it for free - actually putting money in the DNR funds through tags.

I am thankful for the reasonable administrators in the Des Moines metro who have allowed the urban hunt to continue for 20 years now. It is effective, safe, provides meals to the needy via HUSH, money to the DNR, and great recreational opportunity. Oh, darn, I shouldn't have put that last one on the list.....

10. iowavf

iowavf Member

Liberal thinking, it's what you'd expect.

Broot and Sligh1 like this.
  11. mplane72

mplane72 Active Member

I didn't realize the money would come from a state fund. Thanks for the heads up. Sent of some emails. Simply ridiculous. I heard about it on the radio this morning. There was a women saying she didn't want any killing, wanted to see sterilization, but if they had to be killed sharpshooters were more human than hunting....

It's their town. They can do what they want short of sterilization and I don't care as long as I don't have to help fund it.

12. JNRBRONC

JNRBRONC Moderator

White Buffalo sells their service under the guise of science. They take age, weight, sex, and blood samples for disease testing. All BS basically, but makes the locals think they are doing something in the name of research. Wonder if they are tested for CWD?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. crietveld

crietveld Active Member

Liberalism really is a mental disorder. Pay for a service when you can get it done for free sounds like good government to me.

Sligh1, Broot, Hawk32 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Fishbonker

Fishbonker Life Member

I received an email that the NRC turned down Iowa City's request.

I think I just felt the earth shift on its axis a little bit.

What does this mean though? My guess is that Iowa City may have wanted this decision so they can get money from other sources for nonlethal means of population control i.e. sterilizations.

Hopefully it is a win for hunters but living in the area and working there for a very long time has left me quite jaded.

Rjack and mplane72 like this.
  15. mplane72

mplane72 Active Member

That's good news. Wonder if there's a way to see how each individual voted?

I would hope they can't try a sterilization program without DNR approval.

16. Fishbonker

Fishbonker Life Member

I believe the votes are in their minutes.

I'm not sure who needs to approve sterilization. I have read about several other cities in America that are doing the sterilization thing and I can see Iowa City trying this. I've also read that when the bucks are all snipped the does don't get bred and keep cycling. This keeps the bucks in a state of constant rut and they get weaker and weaker over time and don't make it through the winter.

17. muddy

muddy Administrator

I can point out a dozen parents at my kids school that need steralization more so than the deers.

18. bigbuckhunter88

bigbuckhunter88 PMA Member

If they go the sterilization route and that ends in a constant rut, I see nothing but more problems with car/deer accidents. Terrible solution in my opinion.

19. muddy

muddy Administrator

Maybe I'll go to a meeting and show them the best way to steralize a deer. Rip the organs out with the gut pile. Insane.

IowaBowHunter1983, mplane72 and Rjack like this.
  20. Daver

Daver PMA Member

LOLOLOLOL. My kids are through school now, so I don't have to attend "those" meetings anymore...but I remember thinking the exact same thing a few times back in the day. LOLOLOLOLOL :) :) :)

21. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]
    Got this email today from IBA. I want to bottom line something for you guys... long story short.... u wanna fight the mental disorder of liberalism in our state/hunting? (Great line above BTW!!!). Join Iowa Bowhunters association. Some know- some don’t- what Iowa is today- is largely responsible because of IBA. When mental illness consumes our legislatures state wide- our only real support & fight is with the IBA. JOIN!!!!

https://www.iowabowhunters.org

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk