Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa Deer Stocking Program

Interesting question. You can find the answer in a book called A Country So Full Of Game by Dr. James Dinsmore, an animal ecology professor at ISU in Ames. You can order the book at http://www.uiowa.edu/uiowapress/dincouso.htm.

It is a great resource for anyone wanting more information on the history of wildlife in Iowa and well worth the money.

Briefly, our current deer herd came from three different captive herds. One group kept in SW Iowa escaped from a pen in 1894. They were initially from Nebraska.

A second herd was kept at a state game farm near Ledges State Park near Boone. Some of the breeding stock came from Iowa and a few came from Minnesota. Some were released and others escaped starting a herd along the Des Moines River.

A third herd was started in SE Iowa when 60 deer escaped from a private herd held near Keota.

The Iowa Conservation Commission moved deer from these herds to repopulate other areas. Also wild deer moved in from Wisconsin, Minnesota and probably other adjacent states.

I also recall a conversation with Lee Gladfelter, long time Iowa deer biologist, who we lost in a tragic auto accident a number of years ago. He believed that states that had a gun season during rut, such as Missouri and Nebraska, in the long run suffered a loss of quality in the bucks. He was also convinced that not having the gun season during rut did much to explain the quality of bucks in Iowa.

In Iowa we are fortunate to have great nutrition, genetics and (usually) mild winters. The only thing keeping us from having a lot more record class bucks in Iowa is age structure. Fortunately progress is being made in this area also as more and more hunters are shooting does to eat and passing on young bucks so they get a chance to grow.

Thank you for your reply, I find this stuff fascinating. I agree with Mr. Gladfelter on those points and I think that a lot has to do with educating hunters about the age structure thing. Stopped at a check station on my way home from an Iowa camera hunt during our rifle season and ran in to the group of rifle hunters who hunt the 1700 acres next to the 550 that I bowhunt in Missouri. One of them had killed an absolutely beautiful 2-1/2 year old 8 point. One of the hunters remarked that that was the biggest rack that the deer would ever have had. The rest of the group agreed. Well, I politely explained that of course this wasnt true and that the deer was only 2-1/2 and that he had a long way to go. Still dont know if they believed me or not. Anyway, point being, I think a lot of people just dont know any better.
Glancing to the the left of my computer here I see a mounted 164inch Iowa buck and next to him is a really nice painting. Two big Bucks with some buildings in the background. Its Big city something or other......hell of an artist that guy.

[This message has been edited by IALUVRFROMMO (edited 12-24-2001).]

If you want to see video footage of both of those bucks live check out www.zachwildlifeart.com and look under 'video footage'. A friend of mine taped the bucks in residential Des Moines a few blocks from Terrace Hill, the Iowa governor's mansion. If you look close at the tape you will see a vehicle, mowed lawns, street lights homes and garages. I don't think most of the people in the neighborhood had any idea about the kind of deer that were walking across their lawns late at night! You can get more details on the story at http://www.zachwildlifeart.com/zgbigcitybucks.html

Top Bottom