Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa DNR Wayne County Confirms CWD with 7 additional CWD positive tests so far from deer in NE

Wayne County isnt close at all to anything?! I still believe its a bird of prey/vulture that eats a dead deer, and then poops it out somewhere...Thats how the spread is taking place...once its in the soil, bam, its there...

I wonder who the hunter was that was dumb enough to turn it in for testing. The amount of deer that actually die from it is far less than the dnr will shoot.

Last edited:
The inevitable is going to happen and is!! Personally not the news I want to hear for us presently and for the future.

this is just great.. how long now till its a slaughterfest? is the public going to have any voice at all? i tried looking to see if there were any meetings but came up empty.. i guess i can expect it to turn up in decatur shortly

Look for a meeting around the second week in March.

The public always has a voice, it is our deer herd. If you don't want to participate in collection or sampling don't. All the DNR can do at this point is sell more doe tags (Did Wayne County sell out?) and if they aren't used, then they aren't used.

It is OUR deer herd. Not Clayton County's, not Allamakee County's and not Wayne County's. What happens, or doesn't happen in those counties affects us all. All the rest of deer hunters in Iowa can do is hope the disease is contained in those counties. It's up to those hunters in those counties to try to keep Iowa from being over run, or not. The choice is up to the folks who hunt in those counties.

Wayne County isnt close at all to anything?! I still believe its a bird of prey/vulture that eats a dead deer, and then poops it out somewhere...Thats how the spread is taking place...once its in the soil, bam, its there...

My thoughts exactly. We have to stop killing off deer just to test. The deer can die @ their own pace from CWD & the deer that don't catch it will still get to live. I can't believe that there is no other way to test for CWD. All the technology we have & we can't do any better than a civil war surgeon? (no offense to old timer surgeons).

I am a firm believer in the bird theory. Has anyone looked @ the known/surveyed routes that the eagles take in NE Iowa? They travel the tri-state area over there. Far too easy for birds to spread this stuff.

I have no doubt that birds can spread it, but there are multiple cases in northern missouri just south of wayne county so it was only a matter of time.

The inevitable is going to happen and is!! Personally not the news I want to hear for us presently and for the future.
Yep. From the CDC... "As of January 2018, there were 186 counties in 22 states with reported CWD in free-ranging cervids."

Look for a meeting around the second week in March.

The public always has a voice, it is our deer herd. If you don't want to participate in collection or sampling don't. All the DNR can do at this point is sell more doe tags (Did Wayne County sell out?) and if they aren't used, then they aren't used.

It is OUR deer herd. Not Clayton County's, not Allamakee County's and not Wayne County's. What happens, or doesn't happen in those counties affects us all. All the rest of deer hunters in Iowa can do is hope the disease is contained in those counties. It's up to those hunters in those counties to try to keep Iowa from being over run, or not. The choice is up to the folks who hunt in those counties.
Contained? How well has that worked in any other area of the country? I do think we can slow the spread, but I do not think we will contain or stop the spread. It has spread slower than I thought it would, but spread it has. It is only a matter of time it is in my county, and yours.

Wayne county did not sell out. Neither did Allamakee. Clayton did, including an increase in tags from last year.

Great. Now what?!?!! Mass slaughter?
Let's hope not. I think Wisconsin proved 15 years ago that mass slaughter does not work.

There is no proof it's not everywhere. I bet if they tested in any reasonably populated area enough they will find it. It may be worse in certain areas but doubt it's isolated

I wouldn't just openly accept everything that comes from IL gov't, especially on this matter. They tell you what they think you need to know.

I wouldn't just openly accept everything that comes from IL gov't, especially on this matter. They tell you what they think you need to know.

Oral Transmissibility of Prion Disease Is Enhanced by Binding to Soil Particles

Author Summary

Transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSEs) are a group of incurable neurological diseases likely caused by a misfolded form of the prion protein. TSEs include scrapie in sheep, bovine spongiform encephalopathy (‘‘mad cow’’ disease) in cattle, chronic wasting disease in deer and elk, and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in humans. Scrapie and chronic wasting disease are unique among TSEs because they can be transmitted between animals, and the disease agents appear to persist in environments previously inhabited by infected animals. Soil has been hypothesized to act as a reservoir of infectivity and to bind the infectious agent. In the current study, we orally dosed experimental animals with a common clay mineral, montmorillonite, or whole soils laden with infectious prions, and compared the transmissibility to unbound agent. We found that prions bound to montmorillonite and whole soils remained orally infectious, and, in most cases, increased the oral transmission of disease compared to the unbound agent. The results presented in this study suggest that soil may contribute to environmental spread of TSEs by increasing the transmissibility of small amounts of infectious agent in the environment.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/emergency_response/downloads/tools/johnson et al prions in soil.pdf

tse prion soil

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0058630

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3567181/pdf/ppat.1003113.pdf

http://www.nature.com/srep/2015/150210/srep08358/full/srep08358.html?WT.ec_id=SREP-639-20150217

http://www.cell.com/cell-reports/pdfExtended/S2211-1247(15)00437-4

Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Objects in contact with classical scrapie sheep act as a reservoir for scrapie transmission

http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fvets.2015.00032/full

cwd tse prion and soil, see more ;

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2017/01/chronic-wasting-disease-cwd-tse-prion.html

kind regards, terry

You could be correct. This came from the University of Illinois, agriculture dept.

Meanwhile in Minnesota, the 2017 deer season continues, this time for landowners. You can use center fire rifles and don't have to wear orange. After the last 2 years with deer hunting 6 months each year. It's hard to believe any deer are alive, let alone deer with CWD.

Last edited:
"Soils with more than 18 percent clay were associated with a steep drop in cases of the disease.

"Clay can tend to immobilize molecules, and we think at these higher concentrations, clay is holding onto the prions so they're not bioavailable," Dorak says.

Soil pH was also influential, with more cases of the disease at a pH greater than 6.6. Again, changes in soil pH may relate to how "sticky" the soil environment is for prions. Above pH 6.6, prions don't stick as well to the soil and are free to be picked up by curious deer."

Well - if this part of the study IS correct..... It sure would be a major advantage down by me!!!! Everything by me.... "CLAY LOAM" of some type. A big majority. PH is generally around the 5.8-6.5 mark depending on management as well. I guess I'm home free!!! :)

This whole issue is just simply confusing though. Is it about "how many deer it kills”???..... let’s think through this at least at some basic level....

With no cure & its ability to transfer from birds & the "almost" inevitable reality it's going to be EVERYWHERE (much like it has been out west FOREVER)...... I'm not even seeing an avenue to do anything about this. I mean, you'd literally have to keep a deer from making a scrape which is going to have bucks and does with their faces in it all fall long.

If it's about deer deaths...... EHD also has no cure and also has been around for ages. Which kills more: EHD or CWD? Come on, EHD by a looooonnnngggg shot. Do we take "EHD AREAS" and get sharp shooters out or leave the deer season open for 6 months? NO.
Both have no cure, both kill whitetails. Both have been around for ages. I hear the concern, I get it, I really do..... BUT...... Give me a valid solution?!?!?! I don't see one. I really don't. NOTHING, NADA, ZERO. Shooting all the deer...... I just don't buy it, I don't. Not when birds can move it around and it's in the soil FOREVER.

Last edited:
"Soils with more than 18 percent clay were associated with a steep drop in cases of the disease.

"Clay can tend to immobilize molecules, and we think at these higher concentrations, clay is holding onto the prions so they're not bioavailable," Dorak says.

Soil pH was also influential, with more cases of the disease at a pH greater than 6.6. Again, changes in soil pH may relate to how "sticky" the soil environment is for prions. Above pH 6.6, prions don't stick as well to the soil and are free to be picked up by curious deer."

Well - if this part of the study IS correct..... It sure would be a major advantage down by me!!!! Everything by me.... "CLAY LOAM" of some type. A big majority. PH is generally around the 5.8-6.5 mark depending on management as well. I guess I'm home free!!! :)

This whole issue is just simply confusing though. Is it about "how many deer it kills”???..... let’s think through this at least at some basic level....

With no cure & its ability to transfer from birds & the "almost" inevitable reality it's going to be EVERYWHERE (much like it has been out west FOREVER)...... I'm not even seeing an avenue to do anything about this. I mean, you'd literally have to keep a deer from making a scrape which is going to have bucks and does with their faces in it all fall long.

If it's about deer deaths...... EHD also has no cure and also has been around for ages. Which kills more: EHD or CWD? Come on, EHD by a looooonnnngggg shot. Do we take "EHD AREAS" and get sharp shooters out or leave the deer season open for 6 months? NO.
Both have no cure, both kill whitetails. Both have been around for ages. I hear the concern, I get it, I really do..... BUT...... Give me a valid solution?!?!?! I don't see one. I really don't. NOTHING, NADA, ZERO. Shooting all the deer...... I just don't buy it, I don't. Not when birds can move it around and it's in the soil FOREVER.
exactly.. and if they want to stop the spread by killing deer then they would have to kill every deer in that area forever, with no deer being allowed to survive. i bet you could've went in and tested every deer in iowa every year for the past 30+ years and found that every county has it. Deer are always going to die from some disease. Theres just no stopping it

Top Bottom