Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa Farmer Kills 150,000 Fish.

I can't believe there are actually hunters on here complaining about CRP Programs. Go ahead and let all the farmers rip up all that ground and see what kind of habitat you are left with.

http://farm.ewg.org/search.php?fips=00000&regionname=UnitedStatesFarmSubsidySummary

Here's a neat website that shows exactly what every farmer is getting in subsidies and for what crops, corn being the largest. Several farmers in my area have received over 1,000,000 since 1995.. This is a supplement and they get this regardless of how well their crop does. I wish I had that kind of retirement plan. One million in less than 15 years. Like I said, I'm sure some of these farmers really need it, however, the ones I'm talking about are the same ones that buy brand new equipment every other year....

Tax subsides? My Dad would love to see some of that

Why has he not applied for it......?? May as well get the free money if the government is just going to hand it out. I can't find a single farmer in my area that I know that isn't on it... Even my friends that only farm a couple hundred acres.

I can't believe there are actually hunters on here complaining about CRP Programs. Go ahead and let all the farmers rip up all that ground and see what kind of habitat you are left with.

I thought I used the sarcasm icon, so sorry if my comment was interpreted as negative on CRP. I have 3 CRP programs on my farm right now which is whay Cooter's comment caught my eye.:grin:

IMO we need a lot more land enrolled in CRP and it seems like sportsman (vs. cash crop and cattle farms) are playing a bigger role in carrying the weight each sign-up.

There is some really steep land coming back into production and I can't imagine how something without roots (i.e. hog manure) could do anything but end up in the closest stream at the bottom.

Actually I do... A LOT... It's not really the farmers I'm fighting with or trying to blame, it's the government for blatently handing out tax dollars to people who don't need it... What I'm getting at is, If Farmer Joe has a bad year and is going to lose his farm if he doesn't receive funds, then, cool.... But, say Farmer Joe has a bumper crop year with a surplus of cash coming in, then, why isn't the state looking at that and adjusting his/her subsidies accordingly? But, no, they still get the same money no matter what.. Hell, our tax dollars are even providing subsidies for cotton farms in Brazil..
Programs like CRP are awesome! I can handle subsidies like that because it's helping out more than just one person. It's benefiting wildlife which in turn benefits us hunters and the landowners.

Anywho, sorry for getting you worked up enough to childlishly start the name-calling...
I have my opinion and you have yours... CHILL OUT!

Actually I do... A LOT... It's not really the farmers I'm fighting with or trying to blame, it's the government for blatently handing out tax dollars to people who don't need it... What I'm getting at is, If Farmer Joe has a bad year and is going to lose his farm if he doesn't receive funds, then, cool.... But, say Farmer Joe has a bumper crop year with a surplus of cash coming in, then, why isn't the state looking at that and adjusting his/her subsidies accordingly? But, no, they still get the same money no matter what.. Hell, our tax dollars are even providing subsidies for cotton farms in Brazil..
Programs like CRP are awesome! I can handle subsidies like that because it's helping out more than just one person. It's benefiting wildlife which in turn benefits us hunters and the landowners.

Anywho, sorry for getting you worked up enough to childlishly start the name-calling...
I have my opinion and you have yours... CHILL OUT!

When you say subsidies, what do you mean? Federal crop insurance? CRP? Swamp restoration? Timber restoration? I work with about every program there is to do with the government and farming. If farmer Joe has a bumper crop year, his CRP payment doesn't go up or down, and if he has a bad year, is CRP payment doesn't go up or down. That money is there to set land aside for wildlife, and/or its on land that does not need to be tilled or farmed.

Just wondering where your coming up with all of these "subsidy" dollars.

When you say subsidies, what do you mean? Federal crop insurance? CRP? Swamp restoration? Timber restoration? I work with about every program there is to do with the government and farming. If farmer Joe has a bumper crop year, his CRP payment doesn't go up or down, and if he has a bad year, is CRP payment doesn't go up or down. That money is there to set land aside for wildlife, and/or its on land that does not need to be tilled or farmed.

Just wondering where your coming up with all of these "subsidy" dollars.

Corn! Http://www.nolanchart.com/article827_Iowa's_Corn_Welfare.html

Wow, now that's eye-opening! No wonder a certain farmer from Indepenence, KS, is buying 600 acres of crop ground a year! All the $$ goes to the biggest farmers. What a joke. My in-laws have farmed for years, now they've turned 80% of their ground into pasture, they couldn't make it row cropping, but they were never big enough to get the subsidies either...

KILL THE ETHANOL INDUSTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soooooooooo like all the older farm houses in the state or actually midwest have their sewer running to a ditch or a stream. Isn't this the same thing and has been going on for years. Working as a technician at a telephone company I know that when someone buys a house out in the country they always have to do a perk test ( they started this around 2000?) anyways, I would say that at least 80-90% of these places have to have a new septic system installed as they do not follow up to latest guidelines..Saying this, its not just farmers to blame. Not everyone that lives out in the country are not farmers.
Thats my input.

farmers

Times are good for most farmers, but that can change in a hurry. Everything that goes up in a hurry (crop prices) almost always suffers a correction. Look at residential real estate, commercial real estate, oil prices, baseball cards, silver and gold, timber,,, they are all cyclical.

The world does have a lot of mouths to feed, but I would be surprised if we do not see a correction in crop prices in 2012 or 2013. When the weather stabilizes, and we start pushing 200+ bushel corn, then the supply will be there and the prices will adjust.

Crop land is really high in parts of Iowa, I don't see a crash, but I do see a correction.

Top Bottom