Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Iowa Permit to Carry weapons Courses

Last edited:
So I read the law, as usual the language leaves much to be desired for the average joes interpretation.

A friend who just completed a class and recieved his permit last month......does he have to take another class to renew?

Under the new law you need training withing one year of your current expiration date. If his permit expires sometime in 2011 then he can simply choose to shoot to re-qualify and meet the requirements for a renewal.

I know there are people out there that are ticked off about having to take retraining at all. I know an older guy - about 80 I think - who has had a permit 'forever' as far as I know. He never took a class or shot a qual according to him. He's mad as a wet hen that he has to get training to renew his permit! However, I also have heard this same guy say a whole lot of junk about what he'd do in this or that situation that would land him squarely in jail if he tried any of it. Of course, he needs some training! But, he's mad.

The whole state is better off because of this law It makes things more fair and absolutely consistent.

Last edited:
Please clarify,

I dont have a permit to carry, but I am going to get one. If I take the class now will I have to take it again after the first of the year? meaning im better off just waiting until the first of the year to take the class.

There is no need to wait to take a class, you can take the training now in preparation for the new law before it goes into effect.

Top Bottom