Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Ipad to check cameras

Buckdown89

Anyone use an iPad to check there trail cameras? I bought an iPad and card reader thinking I could plug it in and scroll through the pics on my sd card but you only get to see them as thumbnails unless you download them to your iPad... Is there any other way to just scroll through the pics without downloading them to your iPad?

Last edited:
There is a way... But I can't remember how I did it... Maybe I did download them and just deleted the whole album after

Anyone use an iPad to check there trail cameras? I bought an iPad and card reader thinking I could plug it in and scroll through the pics on my sd card but you only get to see them as thumbnails unless you download them to your iPad... Is there any other way to just scroll through the pics without downloading them to your iPad?

Don't believe you can unless you download they entire card, at least it's that way on a mac, which I'm assuming the Ipad would follow the same software capabilities.

This is exactly what I do, in fact 3 years ago I did it on the way to my stand, was checking pics in my stand and the buck I first saw on my iPad walked under my tree that night and I arrowed him.

Looking at what your really asking is "can you see the thumbnail pics" or do you have to "upload" each time and save to view. Yes, yes and yes. But what's nice is if you have a bunch of dud pics they are easy to delete. I have a older iPad so I have no idea whether anything newer works better. I know of no other way to upload and view any other way with a iPad.

I take the ipad with me every time to check my cameras- I upload them right there at the camera- select the ones with potential- hit upload selected and then delete the rest and insert the card back into the camera. was probably a pain when I first started but now I am used to it and it seems pretty easy to me

Use an iPad all the time also. Works great and way easier than carrying around the laptop. Only way I know is loading them all and deleting later but it doesn't take that much extra time to do. Have a small card reader also but prefer the iPad over that.

I just put an empty card in & take the one with pics home.don't have to carry so much stuff that way.

For you fellas checking in the field, how many pics are you going through?
It takes my laptop a solid 10 mins to upload and clear 2-3,000 pics off of a card. 10 mins × say 9 cameras is alot of time spent standing in the bug infested jungle in the summer.
Id much rather hop out, swap cards and deal with them when i get back home.
I can see it later during season when your over looking at pinch points and staging areas but not this time of year

X's 2. The iPad is great for importing low volume pics from your SD card. If your dealing with thousands of pics it's a dud. Really slow and extremely time consuming to delete thousands of pics.

I'm going to purchase the Mac lap-top. You have 10 days to try it out from the date of purchase.

X's 2. The iPad is great for importing low volume pics from your SD card. If your dealing with thousands of pics it's a dud. Really slow and extremely time consuming to delete thousands of pics. I'm going to purchase the Mac lap-top. You have 10 days to try it out from the date of purchase.

Once you go mac, you ain't going back

Once you go mac, you ain't going back

Agreed. I'm on an older Macbook Pro, and it's easy to roll through 1000's of pics in a short amount of time. But I'm still not dragging the thing out in the woods with me…just have extra cards and deal with the pics when I get home.

NWBuck

No doubt Mac's the best. I have a desk top Mac that I view my trail cam pics on. Very easy to sort through thousands of pics.

The lap top will be for in the field use. The best of both worlds. It's not cheap but your getting what you pay for so its well worth it!

Don't believe you can unless you download they entire card, at least it's that way on a mac, which I'm assuming the Ipad would follow the same software capabilities.

Your mac should not be this way. You can just put your card in, pull up the file delete pics and then download the ones you want to save to your computer. You do not have to put them right into iPhoto. Might want to check your settings.

For you fellas checking in the field, how many pics are you going through?
It takes my laptop a solid 10 mins to upload and clear 2-3,000 pics off of a card. 10 mins × say 9 cameras is alot of time spent standing in the bug infested jungle in the summer.
Id much rather hop out, swap cards and deal with them when i get back home.
I can see it later during season when your over looking at pinch points and staging areas but not this time of year

I should clarify that I usually just swap cards and go through them at home on the laptop. 2000 pics or so. But during hunting season I'll bring my tablet to go through them after I'm done hunting for the day. Definitely a must for Nov. when I'm at the property for a full week or so and want to know which bucks are sticking around at that time.

I use a SD card media streamer that creates a wifi signal that you can connect to with your phone to view the pics on the card. It takes a long time to shuffle through pictures on my phone though but at least I can view them while in the stand and get real time Intel.

I have an iPad Air 2, and you have to download all the pics. It is very easy to delete them though. Not much of an issue for me however. It downloads very fast. Have had an iPad 2 and it was a little slower but not by a lot. I have been checking my cards with an iPad for over 6 years. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
I use a SD card media streamer that creates a wifi signal that you can connect to with your phone to view the pics on the card. It takes a long time to shuffle through pictures on my phone though but at least I can view them while in the stand and get real time Intel.

Please explain that in lay men terms as I`m a teckno tard. What is the name of it. Can I use it for my IPhone as they don't have SD slot which is there down flaw. Thanks

Top Bottom