Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Is the DNR killing the Cash Cow

bowmaker

Well I am back at it again. I just found some of the stats that have been missing from the DNR site, or at least I could not find them for a while. http://www.iowadnr.com/wildlife/files/logbook.html is where I found this info. In looking at this current and past info it looks like the DNR maybe looking for some ways to make up for the potential short fall on license fees if they in fact reduce the deer herd to early 1990's levels. I know that I tend to over analyze some of this stuff but at least I think I am right.

license info

Total Licenses Total Hunters NR Licenses Total Dollars

2006 377,525 339,966 6500 +6500 $12,851,824

1993 168017 168017 0 $4,200,425

The total dollars reflect 6500 NR licenses @ $400 and 6500 NR antlerless @$200 339,966 @ $26 and 37,599 @ $12
In 1993 I don't believe there were any NR licenses and every license was the same price but you could get both a bow and a shotgun license. These figures show a difference of $8,651,399. For a while there may not be that much of a shortage because there will still be a lot of licenses sold but as the deer population drops and as a consequence the success ratio drops what will happen to the numbers of deer hunters.

In 2005 there were 211451 deer killed with 391864 licensed issued for a success ratio of 54% and in 2006 there were 150552 killed with 377525 licenses issued for a ratio of 40%. They have not posted the number of licenses for 2007 but I read that there was a little over 140000 deer killed.
Now take us back to the years of yesterday to 1993 there were only 76430 deer killed by 168017 licenses issued for a ratio of 45.49%. At our current rate of travel if 2008 brings a number licenses of 350,000 and a further reduced kill of say around 130,000 deer that will drop the ratio to only 37%. That means that there will be over 200,000 of us deer hunters who won't tag a deer, meaning any deer, buck or doe that year.

Is this really what the DNR wants or what we deer hunters want? How long until those casual deer hunters who only hunt a day or two per year get frustrated with the lack of deer and places to hunt just give up? What happens to DNR revenue when the license numbers drop to 200,000 and the revenue drops $4,000,000? I know what I think will happen, unlimited over the counter NR licenses at $500 or $600 a pop, which will lead to more outfitter leasing and NR land ownership which will further limit resident hunting access. Why is it that it seems that the DNR is listening to and trying to placate all the groups who don't pay a penny to support the DNR and deer programs and ignoring or propagandizing the people, deer hunters, who do pay the bills. Some where I must be missing the big picture so can some one enlighten me why I should continue to kill more and more does so that the deer population will drop to a level where even if I can buy all the licenses I want, I can't find deer to fill them?

No where on the DNR site could I find an actual population number even if it was just an estimate of the deer we have in Iowa. I found a couple of charts and graphs that were almost impossible to read, but I could make out the population GOAL, 170,000 deer. If they should meet that goal and still expect to sell 250,000 licenses, which entitles every holder to harvest one deer, a success ratio of just 50% means that we have just put the white tail deer on the endangered species list in Iowa. WHAT ARE WE DOING? Do we want to go back to having 200,000 hunters applying for a lottery for 100,000 licenses so that we might be able to kill 50,000 deer.

I know that I sound like a dooms day prophet and keep harping on this subject, but i continue to read posts about people wanting to kill more does and to donate them to Hush just so they can shoot more, or they want to shoot 10 or more in an urban hunt just so they can earn a urban buck tag. All of the bow hunters should take note and read some of the stats on the DNR page. for example in 2001 there were 52002 bow licenses issued and a bow harvest of 18798 deer for 39%. In 2006 there were 76258 bow licenses issued but with a kill of only 22008 reported for only 29%. Now there has been many questions about the new reporting system that went into effect in 2006, but I would hope that bow hunters were responsible enough to report every thing that they killed. What happens in 2008 when there will probably be just as many licenses sold and fewer deer. If the overall harvest drops by 10,000 or 15,000 deer and you figure that maybe 30% of those are bow kills, 3000 to 5000 deer, that would mean that about 75,000 bow licenses were used to bow harvest maybe 19,000 deer for a ratio of only 25%. Is it ok with 75% of all the bow hunters to pay your money and know that you won't tag any deer?

I need to stop now before I make this thing 2 pages long and loose too many of your interests. Read the DNR stuff and please give it a little thought before you go out and "whack a whole freezer full of skin heads" especially if you want your kids to become deer hunters with something to hunt.

Lot of good information there and plenty of food for thought.

In the end I'm afraid it won't really be up to the IDNR...if they don't at least appear to placate the special interets groups then people have away of being replaced with someone who will... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Some places it will be easy to reduce deer numbers but here in the problem areas I just don't see how it would be possible?

Too many lanowners stand to make far more off from leasing then in eliminating deer.

I'm curious what else they could do that would facilitate more deer being killed? We have abundant seasons with all kinds of weapons allowed and still...there seem to be more deer then ever?

Areas differ widely of course and I only see what I see and I just don't see any possiblity of wiping out deer when there is no access?

One thing is sure...they will undoubtly keep pushing to replace income lost from one source with that from another just as you suggest....... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

I'm not sure about other areas as well, but speaking for south central iowa (ringgold co) a substantial number of does need to be shot to control pop. numbers. Deer pop. numbers have gotten slightly out of hand in some areas. Looking at the anterless quotas for southeast and northeast Iowa the scenario appears to be the same. Year in and year out counties in these areas fall short of their targeted anterless quotas and it is beging to cause some problems. Looking at management strategy in Illinois is interesting as well. They almost give antlerless tags to non res, but make them pay dearly for any sex tags. I believe they also have somewhat stricter regs on resident hunters on counties they hunt in. For example, a resident can not get a any sex tag that is statewide, rather it is for a specific county. Dont know if this is good, bad or other wise, just stating a point. This whole issue is very complex and Im glad I dont have to deal with it. The one thing I would like to see is the lowering of the price for landowner tags in the counties with high anterless quotas and problemtatic deer densities. A landowner can eat or give away only so many deer. For the $12 tag deer I dont have a real problem in paying as those individuals that use those tags are getting value from the deer in the form of meat(even though the landowner may feed a lot of those deer with his crops). But for that landowner to continue shooting anterless deer above the number that they can eat or give away requires a $12 tag which they will then turn around and give back to the state to help feed the underpriveledged. It doesnt make sense to me. I'm all for helping the state manage the herd, but I'm not digging that deep in the pockets to help them. My family does eat as much venison as possible too, but there is only so much you can eat and give away. Sorry this rambles a little of track. The point is maybe they could lessen the non res anterless tag fee and attract some more hunters into the areas where they need to shoot more anterless deer. Keep the any sex tags the same as in years past and keep the price competitive. Instead of non res. just getting a preference point for applying and not getting a tag in a given year, start giving fractions of a preference point for anterless deer that they buy tags for and harvest that can be used in the lottery system for future any sex tags. Give the residents a chance to buy all the anterless tags they want before a certain date (Say Oct 1st). After that date, whatever amount of tags that are left to fill the anterless quota in a particular county go on sale to anybody, and are on a first come first serve basis. Non residents will pay more, but not an excessive amount more. Remember non resident hunters in some instances are family members that have moved out of state. These individuals would like a chance to come back and hunt with family over holidays and breaks without paying a small fortune. Or they could lessen the fee for landowner tags. I know this was batted around the Iowa legislature this past year and it was a system that awarded anterless tags on the amount of acreage you had. Thought this was a decent idea and I dont know what happened to it.

Top Bottom