Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Is this for real about Muck Boots?

It looks legit to me. Just went to facebook and typed in the company and it is blowing up all over under their page.

I picked it up over at Iowa Sportsman.com. I'm not as familiar with that group so I wasn't sure if it was a joke or not. I hope that was a clerical error on the part of Muck Boots.

I could not find it on their page. Looks like they took it down but HSUS is being commented on all over the place. Good luck with the hipsters...

I just got on here to post something about it.

Anyone who donates to harm society doesn't need money from farmers, hunters, trappers or fishermen.

I have to wonder if it isn't some marketing scheme right before hunting season. In a day or two they'll come out and disown hsus and introduce us to their new line of boots...

I have to wonder if it isn't some marketing scheme right before hunting season. In a day or two they'll come out and disown hsus and introduce us to their new line of boots...

If that's their strategy it's a horrible one. When it involves our livelihood, hunters, trappers, and farmers are known to hold grudges. No matter what Muck comes back and says they have already lost alot of business. They better hope the people from HSUS have a reason to wear Muck boots to fill the void of the people who do actually have a reason.

I wondered about that too, but I would think as bad as this is going and how many people have flat out said they will never buy another muck boot, they would have pulled the plug on any publicity stunt by now. The fact that muck hasn't made any statements and pulled the picture from their Facebook page makes me think they made a huge mistake and have no idea how to stop it. It's only going to get worse if they don't do something.

There is now a posted response from the company. They said it wasn't HSUS but a local humane society. None the less there was someone with admin. privileges for the company on facebook made a multi-million dollar boo-boo. Wonder if they still have a job?

Here is Muck's response:

“We would like to respond to our loyal customers and provide additional information about recent posts on social media regarding a monetary donation to a local animal care organization. Our post inaccurately stated that a donation was made to The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS). Moreover, the post itself was inappropriate under the circumstances.

Family members of an employee who recently passed away requested that, in lieu of flowers, co-workers donate funds to the Humane Association of Northwestern Rhode Island, a local association founded in 1978 to solve community issues primarily related to stray cats. They are not affiliated with HSUS as the posts incorrectly stated.

The money is not a corporate donation, but a collection of personal contributions from employees with the intent of remembering a beloved co-worker. While our intentions were good, the use of corporate social channels under these circumstances was inappropriate.

Muck Boots has a heritage of respect for the outdoors and for nature. We apologize for the anger and confusion the posts have caused and have removed them from our social channels.”

I got that from the following link:

http://agricultureproud.com/2014/08...a-lights-up-over-hsus-fundraiser-whatthemuck/

lovetohunt beat me to it. :)

Regarding their response...

If true, that's an awful big blunder.....Mixing up a national and local business as well as originally saying it was a business fundraiser to now saying it's a personal fundraiser.....I smell something....and it's not sweet.

Here is Muck's response:

“We would like to respond to our loyal customers and provide additional information about recent posts on social media regarding a monetary donation to a local animal care organization. Our post inaccurately stated that a donation was made to The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS). Moreover, the post itself was inappropriate under the circumstances.

Family members of an employee who recently passed away requested that, in lieu of flowers, co-workers donate funds to the Humane Association of Northwestern Rhode Island, a local association founded in 1978 to solve community issues primarily related to stray cats. They are not affiliated with HSUS as the posts incorrectly stated.

The money is not a corporate donation, but a collection of personal contributions from employees with the intent of remembering a beloved co-worker. While our intentions were good, the use of corporate social channels under these circumstances was inappropriate.

Muck Boots has a heritage of respect for the outdoors and for nature. We apologize for the anger and confusion the posts have caused and have removed them from our social channels.”

I got that from the following link:

http://agricultureproud.com/2014/08...a-lights-up-over-hsus-fundraiser-whatthemuck/

lovetohunt beat me to it. :)

Regarding their response...

If true, that's an awful big blunder.....Mixing up a national and local business as well as originally saying it was a business fundraiser to now saying it's a personal fundraiser.....I smell something....and it's not sweet.

When Muck initially came out and said they donated to the local humane society (Humane Association of Northwestern Rhode Island) and not the HSUS it didn't take long for the local humane society they had supposedly donated to came out and say they had not received any donation from Muck.

It appears now that Humane Association of Northwestern Rhode Island has come out with another press release stating that they have now received a donation from Muck. In that press release Humane Association of Northwestern Rhode Island also stated that "while we are not affiliated with the HSUS we do NOT condemn them and actually share many of their values"

So in the end instead of donating to HSUS it appears as though Muck donated to a smaller humane society who shares many values with the HSUS.............

Edit: This information was taken from http://agricultureproud.com/2014/08...a-lights-up-over-hsus-fundraiser-whatthemuck/

Last edited:
I was watching the Outdoor Channel last night and Muck Boots are sponsoring some of those shows. I can't imagine that those shows are going to turn down sponsorship over this flub. As a result, I doubt there will be any lasting repercussions over this.

Oh there will be a lasting effect. There are many people who have already gotten rid of their muck boots. Hunters are a drop in the bucket compared to how many pairs are probably sold to farmers. I know a few large farming operations who have already thrown out their perfectly fine mucks for a different brand. One farm was 22 pairs for the farm workers.

I googled Muck Boots HSUS and read some of the links that came up.
This quote is from one of them:
Sean O'Brien says:
August 6, 2014 at 11:52 am
Thanks for your posts, Carrie. As you noted, people and companies make mistakes. Clearly we made a mistake – a big mistake, but an honest one – and for that we are really sorry.
We understand the frustration and confusion our post caused, especially because the organization mistakenly identified is one that many of our loyal customers feel so strongly about.
But we want to make sure you and your readers understand that a donation has not been made by The Original Muck Boot Company to the HSUS.
Our employees did collect money that was delivered this morning to the Humane Association of Northwestern Rhode Island (HANRI) to honor an employee that passed and whose family asked that in lieu of flowers the money go to the local shelter. We have been in touch with HANRI and apologized for creating confusion. We hope this helps clear things up. We’re heartbroken that our community feels we let them down.

• 4b291cc1df55c533956a859833d7dddd
    dairycarrie says:
    August 6, 2014 at 12:22 pm
    Hi Sean, thank you for taking time to comment. I’m sure that while this has been a learning experience, it has also been a very stressful time. I’m glad to know that the whole thing was a misunderstanding.
    I’m glad to continue to support your company and I’d certainly buy you a beer sometime!
    Hope the rest of your week goes better!

Check out the thread on AT. Muck has done a lot of back pedaling and outright lies and the AT police have called them out on it.

Bottom line hunters and farmers have been completely disrespected and I hope people remember that when shopping for new boots.

Top Bottom