Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Jayhawk birds down!

FinBonZ

Life Member
Hunted Kansas for the first time this last weekend and had a great time! Hunting a mix of public and private ground, we got a tour of the area by the landowner on Friday morning and started hunting at about 10:00. Having spotted a group of birds while driving around, we set up on a crest of a hill in a grove of pecan trees. My hunting partner crawled into place beside a tree while I stayed behind and tried to ease a couple of decoys out in the field. The four hens came in first, stopping not 5 yards from his location to dust themselves. The two gobblers were slowly came in behind them right past his shooting lane. After a few minutes wondering if/when he was going to shoot, he finally put the smack down on the nearest longbeard not 15 minutes after we set up. His hooks were 1 3/8 in. long, had a 11 3/8 in. beard, and a beautiful fan! We didn't have a scale nearby and with the high temps we didn't want to wait to clean the bird, but we estimated he weighed around 24 lbs.

After that we headed to another field where we had spotted a longbeard and hens that morning. This ended up not as quick as the first hunt. After calling on and off for about 3 hours and hearing his gobbles, we figured he was still being led around by the hens. He would answer my calls but was not getting any closer. Then after going silent for about 30 minutes, he showed up silent in full strut with then hens behind him. After a quick adjustment in the blind I shot him at about 15 yards. This one was a little smaller than the first turkey. He was maybe 22 lbs., had a 10 in. beard, and 7/8 in. spurs with more of an eastern looking fan.

Hunted Kansas for the first time this last weekend and had a great time! Hunting a mix of public and private ground, we got a tour of the area by the landowner on Friday morning and started hunting at about 10:00. Having spotted a group of birds while driving around, we set up on a crest of a hill in a grove of pecan trees. My hunting partner crawled into place beside a tree while I stayed behind and tried to ease a couple of decoys out in the field. The four hens came in first, stopping not 5 yards from his location to dust themselves. The two gobblers were slowly came in behind them right past his shooting lane. After a few minutes wondering if/when he was going to shoot, he finally put the smack down on the nearest longbeard not 15 minutes after we set up. His hooks were 1 3/8 in. long, had a 11 3/8 in. beard, and a beautiful fan! We didn't have a scale nearby and with the high temps we didn't want to wait to clean the bird, but we estimated he weighed around 24 lbs. http://s363.photobucket.com/user/iacloaca/media/2014 Harvests/photo2-2_zps3177d926.jpg.html http://s363.photobucket.com/user/iacloaca/media/2014 Harvests/dougsfan_zps431d9eaa.jpg.html After that we headed to another field where we had spotted a longbeard and hens that morning. This ended up not as quick as the first hunt. After calling on and off for about 3 hours and hearing his gobbles, we figured he was still being led around by the hens. He would answer my calls but was not getting any closer. Then after going silent for about 30 minutes, he showed up silent in full strut with then hens behind him. After a quick adjustment in the blind I shot him at about 15 yards. This one was a little smaller than the first turkey. He was maybe 22 lbs., had a 10 in. beard, and 7/8 in. spurs with more of an eastern looking fan. http://s363.photobucket.com/user/iacloaca/media/2014 Harvests/photo5-1_zpsdbf004fa.jpg.html

Nice work boyz!

Top Bottom