Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Kay's 2017 Tom

The hardest part of youth season hunting is getting the stars to align when you can actually take your kid hunting between sports and school activities. This was going to be her last year to be able to turkey hunt with a youth tag and I was chomping at the bit to get her out. It wasn't till finally Thursday that she had the day off of school and we could give it the first go of the year. So we set the alarm for 430 and headed to our hotspot public spot. Turns out we got there late...no matter where I go turkey hunting I'm always racing daylight. It didn't matter anyhow as we didn't bump any out of the trees but did hear some real distant gobbling. We got to the normal killing spot and noticed the winter didn't knock the prairie grass down this year. Standing there debating what to do we hear a gobble 2-300 yards away. Decide to set up instantly, put decoys on the trail that goes through the grass, knock down some weeds for the camera and set up the tent. By this time its now 635. Get camera set up dig out the turkey call arsenal and let it rip. Got cut off on the first series. For the next half hour, he gobbled at every call slowly getting closer every time. The last gobble sounded pretty close then he shut up. I told Kaylee he's going to sneak in on us. Sure enough we hear a drum and there he is strutting in the corner from out of the woods. I give him some soft yelps and here he comes. Then I start the camera....

c3d4514e-d74f-46e6-b4e7-7e69435d6adf_zps7ubvb2op.jpg

So it ended up being a 1/2 hour season for her. Kinda mixed emotions bummed to be done so fast yet happy for the success. Either way one more memory to last a lifetime.

Last edited:
Awesome!!! "Take your time, put it on his head BOOM. She didnt wait long. Great story, congrats!

Awesome!!! "Take your time, put it on his head BOOM. She didnt wait long. Great story, congrats!

We've been laughing about this everytime we watch the video. The kid has no patience when a tom is in range she wants to shoot it instantly, where I'm waiting for the perfect time when there isn't much bobbing and weaving going on. I guess when I was young I was probably the same way.

Top Bottom