Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Killing Honey Locust and Hedge

I have always killed big honey locust and hedge by girdling and using tordon. It is brutal work on nasty trees that are often copiced bad and in nasty tangles. I have had decent success with tordon but have had to deal with some resprouting. Biggest issue for me is the difficulty with girdling these multi-stemmed suckers and I have had some flash from tordon that resulted in killing non target trees.

So I bought some Remedy last week and mixed it with 3 parts diesel fuel and basal sprayed a bunch of hedge and locust over the weekend. That stuff is expensive! I've read a lot about this combination working well on 6" and under trees. I sprayed lots of stuff bigger than that - and some way bigger. I put a little more on for larger trees. What can I expect for kill with the larger trees? Can say a 12" or bigger hedge tree be killed by basal spraying? Man I hope so cause basal spraying is so much easier.

Also, never doing this before - should I expect the treated trees to leaf out this spring? I am guessing so.

Thanks for any info based on experience you may have here!

Last year about this time is basal sprayed several honey locust trees with Brushmaster and diesel. I pushed the size a little bit but not much, maybe up to 8”. Most that i sprayed tried to leaf out this spring and held partial leaves for summer but eventually died. Some of the larger locust i double girdled and sprayed and they leaved about the same before dying.

Thanks for the reply here. Nothing to do now but watch and see what happens I guess. I definitely pushed my luck with trees larger than 6 inches. I sprayed some locust and hedge that were 12 to maybe 14 inches because they were very close to oaks I wanted to save. The oaks were 5 or 6 feet away and I was afraid to girdle and use tordon that close to them.

Is there any benefit to basal spraying the same trees again at some point for better chances at a kill?

Top Bottom