Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lake McBride

eiowaarcher

Do any of you know the restrictions on McBride for boat size and/or motor size? I know there's a hp limit but I can't remember what it is. Im not sure if there's a boat size limit. Also is there and restrictions on Coralville?

Oh man, I want to say it's all no wake and the motor restriction is 9.9 and under. I don't think you can even idle with a big dog motor.

As far as boat size limit... pretty sure you can put any sized boat into it so long as the motor fits into the restrictions.

there's no limit on any boat size or motor size. The old motor size restriction was removed.

It's a No-Wake Lake now...just like Big Creek. Like muddy said, it used to be a 9.9hp lake.

The only restriction on Coralville is you have to drive your boat like a douche to blend in with the rest of them...aka, a 1000miles per hour everywhere you go, especially the coves!

Coralville is low and will remain low due to the MeHeffy bridge reconstruction.

Last edited:
turtlshell said:
there's no limit on any boat size or motor size. The old motor size restriction was removed.

It's a No-Wake Lake now...just like Big Creek. Like muddy said, it used to be a 9.9hp lake.

The only restriction on Coralville is you have to drive your boat like a douche to blend in with the rest of them...aka, a 1000miles per hour everywhere you go, especially the coves!

Coralville is low and will remain low due to the MeHeffy bridge reconstruction.

Ok thanks for the input. I take it Coralville ain't much good for fishing due to heavy boat traffic?

Is Mehaffey closed yet turtlshell?
I drove across Mehaffey Bridge yesterday morning when I was out there fishing. Never got a bite throwing tubes and spinners.

Had a much better day Saturday catching trout on Sand Road, caught (and released) 5 and 15 largemouth bass.

Do any of you know the restrictions on McBride for boat size and/or motor size? I know there's a hp limit but I can't remember what it is. Im not sure if there's a boat size limit. Also is there and restrictions on Coralville?

Coralville is has no restrictions. The following was pulled directly from the iowa dnr website...

"There are seven boat ramps on the lake and one on Coralville Lake. Pontoons, motorboats, canoes and paddle boats are available for rent near the beach. The boat rental number is 319/624-2315. Motorboats must not exeed 5 mph on Lake Macbride. A 10 hp motor lmit is in effect on Lake Macbride from the Friday before Memorial Day through Labor Day. At other times there is an unrestricted hp motor limit operated at no greater than 5 mph. Any size motor may be used on Coralville Lake. Pontoon docking spaces are available for rental, as are dry-storage spots for boats."

Motor Restrictions

Which may or may not be up to date. But I live close to there and haven't heard of a change. Could very well be wrong though. :way:

I drove across Mehaffey Bridge yesterday morning when I was out there fishing. Never got a bite throwing tubes and spinners.

Had a much better day Saturday catching trout on Sand Road, caught (and released) 5 and 15 largemouth bass.

You were down at Sand Lake...what time? I didn't see anyone catching chit!!! I was there until 1230. BTW, stay out of my mehaffey fishing spot, too

Last I knew Mudd, they had a meeting at SouthSlope earlier this week to discuss when it's closing. I know they have some steel pylons driven in there.

Thanks for the correction Limb...I knew there wasn't one currently, didn't know it was going to kick back in. I don't fish MacBride during the restriction time anyway, but I digress.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the input. I take it Coralville ain't much good for fishing due to heavy boat traffic?

Coralville is great for fishing when the "cigar" boats aren't running rampant...like right now (early spring) and late fall. Summer time, I wouldn't bother. Way too damn dangerous IMO.

You were down at Sand Lake...what time? I didn't see anyone catching chit!!! I was there until 1230.

I showed up at 2 and left at 4, landing 5 trout, losing 3, while also catching over 15 largemouth bass. One trout was tagged. I was drawing a crowd, got hard to cast with everyone crowding around me. :mad:

BTW, stay out of my meheffay fishing spot, too
:moon: :D

I fish Coralville a lot. You can basically time the pleasure boaters. They'll put in after lunch and take out before dinner. So if you fish til noon or after 5 you'll be fine (on the weekends).

As for McBride...I havent heard of the motor restriction being lifted. The information posted about the HP limit (10 horse and under from Memorial to Labor Day). The rest of the year it's less than MPH.

I've only had luck at McBride in the spring, personally, but I avoid it because I like fishing river systems better.

Alt, I hear ya about fishing the rivers. I'm in the same (pun intended) boat!

JNRBRONC, they released a 25"(+) trout...it was so shallow by the ramp two inches of his/her tail fin was above the water.

I saw five fish reeled in while I was there and two of those were snagged...and kept!

I'm not worried about you fishing my spot, you have to be nimble like cat to get to where I go:)

I use to love fishing McBride when I lived in North Liberty. Use to catch a couple bass every year that would go 20"+

Spring time is great fishing there too, lots of Crappie and Largemouth hitting.

Kratz

Any decent spots for bank fishing on McBride or Coarlville? Was down there this past Sunday riding around on a boat drinking beer, and the water level on the reservoir was still pretty high. I have lots of time on Tuesday/Thursday morning/early afternoon before I have to be in Iowa City, so looking to kill some time.

Any decent spots for bank fishing on McBride or Coarlville? Was down there this past Sunday riding around on a boat drinking beer, and the water level on the reservoir was still pretty high. I have lots of time on Tuesday/Thursday morning/early afternoon before I have to be in Iowa City, so looking to kill some time.

Maybe check out the Terry Trueblood Recreation Area just south of Iowa City. Easy access, hearing from a coworker that they have been catching bluegill, crappie and bass lately.

I was catching stocked trout out of it earlier this year.

Here is my question regarding Coralville only fished it twice. Does it always look like chocolate milk?

Here is my question regarding Coralville only fished it twice. Does it always look like chocolate milk?

When there are heavy rains, yes, when there is heavy boat traffic, also yes. But there are times and places where it is not chocolate milk, more of a stained look. If the water level is above normal pool and there is much boat traffic then a lot of the mud/dirt shoreline is exposed and leads to a dirtier type of water.

It is a very good place to catfish though, if that is of interest to you. I tend to focus more "uplake", away from the heavy boat traffic.

Top Bottom