Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lake of the Woods!!

MuzzHunter

On a 20ft High
Two weekends ago a buddy of mine asked me if I would like to go up to Lake of the Woods with him and a couple buddies to catch some northern pike through the ice. So I figured why not, itd be my first pike through the ice and a great experience. We ended up doing pretty good we caught 9 fish in 10 hours of fishing, with each of us catching one around the 40 inch mark.

I started the day out with this 33"er. Not to bad for my first pike through the ice.
picture.php

Then my buddy Kyle was up next and pulled this 39"er out
picture.php

Then Scottie pulled this 39"er out after Kyle's
picture.php

Then Kyle's good friend Andy hooked into a 42"er
First sight of her coming up the hole.
picture.php

Here she is completely out of the hole.
picture.php

My next one was a 34"er
picture.php

The other guys each caught a couple of 24"er's after that one and I ended our day with my biggest northern ever.
She was a 40"er
picture.php

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE! Dang they are FATTIES!

Rod and reel or tip ups? Ok, drrrr....I just saw the tip ups. :)

Some fantastic pics man, nicely done!

Wow thats killer!! Never caught one through the ice. Might
have to give r a go next season. Great Pictures too!!

Very nice!! I need to get up there and try that hard water snot rocket fishing!!!

Great fish! Congrats! :way: I am not much an ice fisherman, but I am curious...it would seem like it would be hard to reel in such a big fish through what must be pretty thick ice. I would think that the line rubbing on the ice would result in losing big ones like that.

Can't beat it, big pike on tip ups...well maybe early spring open water, but they're leaner then.

Sweet stuff, congrats from a pike addict.

Shoot2Kill,
The first one i caught and the big momma that Andy caught were actually on rod and reel, they were on a system called an I Fish Pro, that acts like a tip up but instead of hand lining them in like tip-ups, its setup to hold a rod. They're a pretty neat set up.

Here's a link to what I'm talking about.
http://ifishpro.com/

any accidental walleyes?

Did you happen to catch any walleyes on the tip-ups, or were you fishing dead bait?

Hardwood11,

We were using live sucker minnows that were about 8 inches in length. Also where we caught these fish, the ice was thicker than the water was deep. There was probably 2 feet of ice and the water depth was probably only 1.5 ft deep. I couldn't believe we were catching fish that shallow through the ice.

Top Bottom