Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Land Locked public areas?

flugge

So I was looking at some public maps recently and saw several "land locked" public areas. Those public areas offer no easement for anyone to even walk back to access the property. So I had emailed the local DNR (who isnt familiar with the area I am looking at) and asked him about how to get access to that. He flat out said- "If the landowner says no, there is nothing we can do to get access"
So that leads me to question, how in the world can public ground be landlocked? I am really curious about this as some of the chunks are 160+ acres that look like they would be prime hunting if you could get to them. Thoughts?

Very common in the west. I've seen land locked pieces on some rivers which I guess is considered the access. I've never seen or found a land locked piece like you describe but of the top of my head I would wonder if it was a piece of private donated to the state or something like that. Have you researched the properties at the court house. I would think that if it was at one time private it had an easement. I wouldn't expect the surrounding land owners to volunteer that info.

The two pieces that really have me intrigued were bought by the State in 1935 according to the records.. So I assume back then perhaps no one cared?

WELCOME TO WYOMING where everything is landlocked, you pay taxes for it, and the landowners reap the benefits :)

State land has to have one access point, the access point is the creek that runs through there :) Hah, loopholes.

Negative on the Fuller Area- and they actually are not required to have an access point... hence why I am trying to find out more about it. Also, you cannot just walk any creek in Iowa, so thats not always an option either

• Deleted by IowaBowHunter1983
Show…
IMG_20170220_210110_zpsphtjjyym.jpg

[QUOTer, post: 622357, member: 161"]Looks like a, ahem, practical entrance solution Bonker...:) How does one exit the land locked ground in your scenario? :) :)[/QUOTE]
In the ambulance.

I almost think some land owners sell it to the DNR, knowing that hardly anybody will be able to use it, thus making money and keeping the benefit. I know of a couple areas that are accessible by river and there are plenty of stands in there. There's no way that that many guys are floating in to hunt it either.

I would not recommend this but I know a guy who has a buddy drop him off at the road and he walks across the private in the dark to access the public. The owner hates hunting so they told him no when he asked. He'll get what's coming to him one day, probably when he's dragging a booner to the road! ;)

I believe emergency vehicles have absolute right of access/passage. Launch in gurney out. Just be sure local EMS has a cot big enough for you and your deer.

There is an area west of Guthrie Center with no access. The landowners that adjoin this have their own personal honey hole! I have seen what comes out of there. I believe there is also a chunk of public surrounded by indian tribe ground located by Onawa. Also good ground! Could never figure out why there was no access,,,,since Iowa is #49 in public hunting areas??

Guthrie Center would that be the 187 acre Shelley Creek? Kind of stupid to own state ground with no access to it. Log it sell it and buy more acres that are accessible to everyone.

Top Bottom