Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

land price and atv equipment

bloodhoundhandler

I am in the process of starting to sell an 80 acre piece of prime hunting land it's mainly hardwoods with roughly 15 acres of tillable. In the past 13 years I have owned it I have seen four bucks come off it over 170 and one that went 220. It is located in Guthrie county I was just curious on what some of you guys on here that follow hunting land and their values would consider its value. I am also selling my atv foodplot equipment I have a tuff line disc sprayer spreader nice drag and a nice cultipactor any one interested or want pictures pm me I would like to sell it as a package deal

I am not familiar with Guthrie County, but it sure sounds like a good place by your description. There are several websites that specialize in marketing hunting farms, I would consult those for a pretty accurate representation of what similar land is listing for.

Now then, the actual sale prices are not always as high as the listing price, but in general, recreational ground has been trending back higher in the last year or so. So the sale prices may be pretty close to the listing prices when the market is stronger.

Sounds like you have an excellent farm. With history and genetics like that I would think you have a nice gem there. However there are so many variables to take into consideration. Small timber parcels are hard to find and go quick.

I would seriously take a look at a land/farm selling company who can bring you serious buyers and exposure to buyers. I would recommend Hawkeye Farm Management and Real Estate in Albia IA. They move a ton of farms and have buyers constantly ready to purchase. Nate and Alan Ammons 641.932.7796

Good luck!

Whitetail Properties does a heck of a Job as well, their marketing is awesome! Their personal attention to your property is amazing!

I am in the process of starting to sell an 80 acre piece of prime hunting land it's mainly hardwoods with roughly 15 acres of tillable. In the past 13 years I have owned it I have seen four bucks come off it over 170 and one that went 220. It is located in Guthrie county I was just curious on what some of you guys on here that follow hunting land and their values would consider its value. I am also selling my atv foodplot equipment I have a tuff line disc sprayer spreader nice drag and a nice cultipactor any one interested or want pictures pm me I would like to sell it as a package deal

If I were to guess, I would say 2500 an acre, but prices are very regional, so it is hard to say exactly. Should be good demand for it.

Last edited:
Guthrie County, that close to DSM, I'm thinking you should be able to get $4K/acre. Depends on how motivated you are to move it.

Based on what I've seen I would guess 2500 per would be fair, obviously it would be more if there were more tillable. I haven't been watching land prices for a little while though so it may have gone up a little. Guthrie is one of the counties I am hoping to be able to buy in at some point in the future, wish I was able to now!

Guthrie County, that close to DSM, I'm thinking you should be able to get $4K/acre. Depends on how motivated you are to move it.

True, closer to DM, better the price , although I paid 2k an acre last year and I'm 21 miles from Des Moines...

Friend paid 2450 acre and he was 25 miles from Des Moines for exact same acreage set up 60 timber and 15 tillable and that was this year...

In our corner of the state, with that little tillable, 2500 would be a stretch. If NR were guaranteed a tag each year, it'd no doubt be higher, but that's an entirely different topic :drink1:

NWBuck

True. But I think rec ground prices are still strong, no matter where in the state.

I'm sure the demand is still high.... it could sell for more no doubt, but I see quite a few farms in that 2500-3000 acre range, higher if it has a lot of tillable.

$2500 to $3000 an acre would be about where I would put it if you want to move it. People ask all sorts of price ranges when listing and when they're overpriced they don't sell You can get a premium price if there is a nice place to build and you do have a smaller parcel more people can afford

If not in a rush you may try to sell yourself? IMO: Price would depend on setup, terrain, surrounding land, etc. Is there water? Can u access the tillable? Sounds like good genetics though which would be a plus. Clear your pms

Last edited:
I would start minimum $3500, you can always come down. Low inventory and lots of buyers right now, especially smaller tracts.

I am interested in helping you sell it. The Des Moines MLS will help get you top dollar. :) I have seen some very solid comments made here. Hardwood11 is pretty close to on the money and he totally understands values, buying ,selling and managing for whitetail. Feel free to call me.

Top Bottom