Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

land prices

There is always a segment of the population buying and selling. I'm not a baby boomer but I started purchasing land 20 plus years ago and will cash out one day. I wonder what my generation will be called when we're cashing out? There is not an endless supply of land, that's what makes it valuable, and eventually it changes hands. Non-typ is on the money, keep waiting and you will not own land.

I never said don't buy ground. Buy it, buy as much as you can afford. Buy it now, but it later its all your alls money. I stated my opinion based on the research I've done. I never said anything derogatory about any generation. You're right there is not an endless supply of land but there can be a major surplus of that supply hence driving prices down.

Done, I hear ya. I wasn't saying you meant anything negative. I agree with you in that any investment can be risky and uncertain. I would like know more about the research you have done; it might save me a few bucks down the road. I'm not an investment guru. I have a 401k, a couple rental properties, my home and have bought/sold a few farms. It seems over the years the farms have been the most constant despite the ups an downs. Any insight is truly appreciated.

Went to auction today in wappelo and 150 acres went for $2400 per acre. Timber and crp. Poor poor soil for crops. Great piece!! But went way higher than I suspected.

Went to auction today in wappelo and 150 acres went for $2400 per acre. Timber and crp. Poor poor soil for crops. Great piece!! But went way higher than I suspected.
I think that is reasonable for the poor ag ground around me that has sold on contract for $4,500/acre.

I never said don't buy ground. Buy it, buy as much as you can afford. Buy it now, but it later its all your alls money. I stated my opinion based on the research I've done. I never said anything derogatory about any generation. You're right there is not an endless supply of land but there can be a major surplus of that supply hence driving prices down.

I'd like to see how many landowners own the ground outright as opposed to how many are on fixed and adjustable loans....

Then factor in the age class of who owns what.

Everything has its limits including land. I truly believe the bubble is going to burst somewhere between now and 2016. I'm talking a demographic bubble and its already happening. As the baby boomer generation decides to cash out/in on everything, not just land, prices will drop. Any one who has studied fundamental economics knows that if supply outreaches demand prices fall. When the largest population (in terms of age) decides to cash out their investments and reign in their spending , prices will fall, no doubt about it. Y'all need to read the book "Demographic Cliff". Is all I'm going to say. I can't spout every thing the author says on here, but its all economic based research.

I think this is pretty close to right, although burst may be a bit strong. Correction sound better to me. Maybe 20 to 30%. Largely based on commodity prices and ag economics. Sell now if you are selling, buy in 18 months or so. That is my guess based on input from some pretty good minds.

The recreational ground market isn't going anywhere. Who do you know that doesn't want to buy a piece of their own or add to what they have. I don't care what any demographic says.

Top Bottom