Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Largemouth

jkratz5

Just wondering if anyone has been catching any bass up on their beds yet. I hit it this morning and caught about 20 fish in shallow water but only one female that looked like she was starting to plump up possibly. Anyone else having any luck with the big fatties yet???? Everything I caught was on a 7" zoom turtle worm.

I usually start to catch them pretty good this week and for the next couple but with the cooler spring I am not sure.

Kratz

Jarin,

Here are a few pix of some recent tourney fish Jeremy and Put in the boat. of these fish, two were female in very shallow water. J.'s fish was sitting on her bed. Seems to me, most of the fish we are catching right now are the males, the are found near the beds, "Protecting" the females and guarding the beds, but we are also finding the males in 6-12 FOW on jigs and plastics.

The mama's are fat and i would guess the spawn is very close, if not in process on some lakes. i think the average water temps are still slightly cool, on three different lakes i have fished over the last two weeks varied slightly, roughly staying in the mid 60's. after this weather this weekend, id be willing to bet we will be seeing 70 degrees pretty quick.

The majority of the fish we have boated have been on jigs, but scum frogs are getting tons of strikes. because the females are fairly shallow, and kinda spooky, id toss the frog on the bank and slowly walk it into the water so you avoid the "PLOP" the frog/rat makes when it hits. many fish will come in consecutive casts and be ready!!

here are some recent pix from this week.....

Big fat Female..... the fish... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif This was a reaction strike
Jeremy_2.JPG

male caught near beds, but on a ledge adjacent to deeper water, reaction strike
THA4_bass_1.jpg

female on right, feeding type bite, Crankin the dam
and the male on the left was caught in slop with scum frog also a reaction strike.
DSCN1544.JPG

Good luck and take some photos!!!!

Everything is a couple of weeks behind this year. Water temp last weekend was 61. I would think they would be on there spawning beds by now. They start Spawning between 63 and 68.

Thanks for the updates boys. Sorry about not having pics, I always forget the camera when I am fishing. I will give her a run again this weekend in one of my favorite bassin spots. Nothin like a big ol Green Carp on the end of the line.

KRatz

don't forget your polarized fishing glasses so you can spot those fatties...then...throw a weedless rigged lizard on the bank and walk it right over their bed. GAME OVER!!! I've caught some nice ones out of ponds already, I need to take my camera...Good luck!

THA4,

If you like tossin frogs, as I do, you need to invest in the Daiwa Viento reel. The action you get from the twitchin bar is UNREAL!

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

My Garcia Revos work great
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Top Bottom