Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Last day gobbler

deerhunter93

I took this one down to the wire and for the second year in a row, I filled both of my spring turkey tags.

I was planning on hunting on Saturday but when I woke up it showed rain where I was hunting so I went back to bed and planned on a mid/late morning hunt but that never happened due to on and off rain the whole day. On Sunday Emily was going to be out of town in the afternoon so I figured I would give it one last shot after church. It was pretty windy so my hopes were low but I headed south around 11:00am and kept an eye out to see if birds were in the fields since the property I was going to hunt had a few different fields. I spotted one group of turkeys as I was heading south so again, my expectations were pretty low.

As I just got to the property line I looked into a big bottom field and saw a black dot. I grabbed the binos and backed up, confirming it was a tom strutting about 350 yards off the road. I pulled down a farm entrance at 11:45, got my gear ready, and texted Dad "Tom spotted. Time for a reaping!"

My plan was to sneak around a draw that went into the field which would put me around 150 yards from the bird then get behind the fan and close the distance. When I got to the edge of the draw I couldn't see him where I thought he would be. I backed up and went through the draw to be able to see the whole field. As I was sliding down the hill I got about 5 yards from the field edge and looked to my right and boom, he was strutting about 60 yards away and in plain sight. I ducked down slowly and got the gun ready. When the tom turned away I put the fan up and crawled into the field a few yards. As soon as he turned back my way he gobbled, his head turned snow white, and he started strutting towards me. I took a few more steps and decided I would let the tom close the gap. When he got to about 23 yards I let him have it! At 12:09pm I texted Dad "Bird down!!!"

My heaviest bird to date:
26lbs 8oz
10.5 inch beard
1.25 inch and 1.125 inch spurs

20170521_121245.jpg

20170521_122533.jpg

20170521_122926.jpg

20170521_143051.jpg

Top Bottom