Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Last minute....of course.

Ogz

Life Member
Well working in the world of Ag retail all but eliminated my time in the woods this spring. I managed to make it out first season and help a buddy get his first bird, but didn't fill my tag. 4th season rolled around and EVERY time i thought I could make it out, the phone would ring and off I'd go to work. I had been watchcing a group of toms for weeks, and they frequented an area that made setting up on them pretty easy, but they wouldn't come through every day so it was hit or miss. The only times I made it to the blind, it was of course miss, only to see them the next day when I couldn't hunt. So yesterday evening I decided to find them and pull out the fan for a stalk. The fan has become quite popular lately, and it's a trick that I have used since 2000, after learning about it from a group of hardcore turkey guys from Florida. It's usually my last ditch effort though as it's a lot more fun to call them in in my opinion. Needless to say, I found my group out in a freshly planted bean field. I snuck around a terrace, and the crawl was on. I was making my way towards one of the 3 toms that was strutting, and when I got to about 100 yards, a lone tom that I hadn't seen came over the hill and was on a line right to me. I waited for him to close the distance and when he hit about 40 yards and picked his head up so I could see his beard, it was game over. He's a great late season bird and I am thrilled to not have to eat 2 tags! He went 23 lbs 3 oz, inch spurs on both sides, and 11.5 inch beard.

Attachments

• 2012 turkey.jpg
    2012 turkey.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 2012 turkey beard.jpg
    2012 turkey beard.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 56
  • 2012 turkey spur.jpg
    2012 turkey spur.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 52
Top Bottom