Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late "Anterless" Season Opinions, ROUND 2!

What is your opinion of Shed Buck Season? (ok, yes, late Antlerless)

• The season was supposed to be temporary & needs to end as intended

Votes: 159 71.0%
  • I believe, on average, it's a great thing, does little damage & should stay

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • Too many hunters that don't know or care about what gets shot

Votes: 67 29.9%
  • Even the good intentioned have too many opportunities to make mistakes on shed bucks

Votes: 49 21.9%
  • I will be out hunting late antlerless & know I will not shoot a shed buck or button buck

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • I will not be out during shed buck season.

Votes: 74 33.0%
  • This season is a complete disaster & is very damaging to many areas & average hunting areas.

Votes: 82 36.6%
  • I've seen meat lockers full of shed bucks & personally seen many shed bucks killed

Votes: 19 8.5%
  • I support Farm Bureau and their strong lobbying for more deer killed.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I love Shed Buck Season & it's the only time of the year I can dust the guns off & blast!

Votes: 12 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, ok.... I got a bunch of PM's, emails & even some calls to put the "Shed Buck Poll" back up.
Put the post back up! Just because there's a few ***holes in any group, we all know there's thousands that need to discuss this issue and way too many that aren't aware and educated about this disastrous season, please put it up!

Got it. This thread is not about me!! The last one I was trying to have some fun with. Couple Jack-Wagons had to get too personal to bother listening to. Which, if they don't like this, whatever, don't read it. Aint about me. It's about a season with a variety of stances and a lot of folks out there that don't get into deer hunting like the "hard core" guys that frequent here.

SO- post your experiences. YOU MAY CHOOSE MULTIPLE SELECTIONS IN POLL & can choose to do that only. What are your thoughts, what do you see when you run into other groups hunting? Do you feel this season needs to be added to our Oct 1 to Jan 10 deer season (and that's not including summer depredation tags & youth season) ? OVER-ALL, on AVERAGE, what do you think this season does- good or bad? Do you agree with DNR & majority of hunters surveyed (was either Litchfield or another sharing before) that this season needs to go? HAVE AT IT.

**My OPINION (& if you don't agree, great! Just don't be a Jack***), strong opinions welcome no matter what they are!......
1) The DNR has overwhelmingly "lobbied" this season should end. Beyond served its purpose & was created with the knowing it's a "temporary measure". FB is the overwhelming fighting force of $ & special interest that's trying to run over the public & is the overwhelming reason this season exists.

2) If you can't get an adequate amount of does shot Oct 1-Jan 10- your area either doesn't need more deer shot or you are doing a very poor job at trying to kill does.

3) Shed bucks are DESTROYED by this season. The list of personal examples is disgusting that I know of. I have FIVE personal examples now of basically confirmed 200" deer being killed during shed season. That's not including dozens & dozens I've personally seen that you have no idea how big they are.

4) there's a small group of people that glass deer to no end before shooting. They are a MINORITY to the extreme. From my experience, most groups use rifles at long distances, don't care what they shoot, also smack lots more button bucks, shoot at running deer, do big deer drives, etc. They also come out of the woodwork with rifles to "blast" & really are just there cause of the opportunity to slay in big numbers with big guns. Often, not the regular deer hunter from bow season. Don't know, don't care and will never have the knowledge, education, awareness or any concern when they do shoot shed bucks.

5) The amount of bucks I've seen get shot late season again is staggering- the amount of folks I know that found sheds BUT the buck was never to be seen again the next year & COINCIDENTALLY had a neighbor group whack 3-4 shed bucks - huge #'s & folks impacted. Unusually high amount of good bucks you found sheds- "never show up the next year" for you??? Never is 100% sure BUT I think we all know what happened to many of them.

6) Every year I go to 2 major meat lockers. Ratios of 5 does, 3 shed bucks & 2 button bucks is COMMONPLACE & probably what I've seen year to year to year from my non-scientific observation.

7) this year we are seeing huge extra #'s of bucks shed due to drought stress & possible recovered EHD exposure. Friend today found 17 on his farm (he's probably reading this post) and another friend has found 11 - both of which are hard core guys who shoot straight with what's going on. I've legitimately saw 6 out of my blind. I had a "DOE" come from 200 yards down to 20 a few nights ago. It took the deer until it got to 20 yards before I had the "right angle" to realize it was a shed buck. This was at 3:30 in afternoon with high quality 10x42 binocs. Rarely is this caution exhibited by even well intentioned folks.

8) there are guys who do this responsibly. Just like you could give some rifles all year long & their farms would be great BUT - the average guys across the state- it's a disaster- the average guy does not have this discipline, sorry, they don't. Regulations will be the only true way to properly manage deer. If NOT, then how bout we leave the season open year round??? Or have rifle hunting Nov 1 on??? We all know with all the "average joes" - regulations are the only way to keep proper deer management truly in average good quality (another reason why Iowa blows away its neighbors for quality as of NOW).

Is this destroying all of iowa hunting? NO, of course not! & I am pleased in the reduction of the late Shed Buck Season hunting dates this year! BUT- Is the season doing major damage all over in many average neighborhoods, OF COURSE! It's the average guy that's getting destroyed for future bucks and possibly in already decimated areas. DNR wants it gone, most hunters do, it's damaging low density areas and having huge detriment to bucks that evaded hunters Oct 1 to Jan 10 to only be mowed down now. Vast #'s have shed (and yes, many will still have their horns in Feb) & many will be killed by "mistaken hunters" or those that just don't care. JANUARY 10, the TRUE Iowa deer season that was always meant to be the end before this temporary season, should be the end of deer hunting for the year and these clever but stressed animals need time to recover & have a break until next Oct. But- that's this little guys take.

Last edited:
This will be my first year partaking in some late season rifle hunting and in order to get invited back to the farm I will be taking closer shots, glassing really hard, and likely not shooting unless I see fawns with the target deer.

Really looking forward to it, but really think the season needs to go away.

Worst season ever. If you can't kill a doe with a muzzleloader, bow, or shotgun, you flat out suck and shouldn't hunt. F farm bureau...quite frankly ....f ethanol.

Are people trolling, or do "hunters" exist who think this is a great season?
I have participated in this season for many years. I would have again this year if the area I have been hunting hadn't been closed. I've shot MANY does and not 1 shed buck. I used my ML and kept shots close.

How do you score a shed buck??? :p ;)

Like, the buck my buddy had sheds from, well into the 200's... Teenagers come & shoot a "monster shed buck" & they did feel bad about it. He looked at it and instantly knew characteristics of the buck. Found the sheds in his food plot. For sure was the deer. I think he scored em and estimated a 19 or 20" spread? It was well into the 200's. Evaded him & others all season & for a variety of reasons, the teenagers were able to get him in the ladder part of January thinking it was a doe. Since the beginning, staggering amount of confirmed examples like that.

I have participated in this season for many years. I would have again this year if the area I have been hunting hadn't been closed. I've shot MANY does and not 1 shed buck. I used my ML and kept shots close.

Think that's the norm & majority of folks out there?

In all seriousness any season in the midwestern states that goes beyond December 31 is a mistake. Minnesota has some very poor seasons, but we cut it off on New Years Eve (most of December is bow only).
To be shooting deer (with even a chance of killing a shed buck) is really a bad idea! Another factor is the contiued stress hunters put on the deer in January (really, give em a break). During a cold hard snowy winter, deer should not be subject to be chased well into January.

Nothing good can come from this, the need to reduce doe numbers can be done anytime prior to January

I have and will again this year particapate in the season. In previous years a friend and I have just sat on public land in NE Iowa and filled tags. I have never shot a shed buck but my friend did kill 1 a few years back.

This year we are going south to hint with a buddy this weekend. We have been informed no shed bucks and no Buttons. The land we will be hunting is full of deer. Should be a good time and I could care less if we shoot any or not. I have a few people that still need deer meat so we would not be using the HUSH program.

I do agree that the season should end but in my experiences people shooting shed bucks is way over estimated at least in the areas I have hunted.

I dont personally hunt this season but I do know a lot of hunters that do. They kill deer to put in the freezer not to brag about the antler size. Hunting isnt all about the thrill of a big buck to all hunters. There are people that are just feeding familys.

I dont personally hunt this season but I do know a lot of hunters that do. They kill deer to put in the freezer not to brag about the antler size. Hunting isnt all about the thrill of a big buck to all hunters. There are people that are just feeding familys.

Spare us that bs. They could kill does with extra bow or shotgun tags. They could ask other hunters for deer..many good hunters donate deer.

Spare us that bs. They could kill does with extra bow or shotgun tags. They could ask other hunters for deer..many good hunters donate deer.

It may be hard to believe but some people do have other priorities and may not have the freedom to go sit in a deer stand all fall like some of us. And also they dont want free hand outs when they could go out and get a deer themselves and experience the enjoyment. And if they dont shoot deer for the antlers then what difference is it to you that they shoot a buck that has already lost their antlers as opposed to shooting the same buck that still has antlers? Absolutely nothing...

I understand what u r saying but u can hunt for meat 3.5 other months out of the year. U don't hunt to brag about antlers- great but that doesn't have to happen when many bucks dont even have them & past jan 10 when u had months prior. If u r hunting in areas needing a thinning- I can't see too many scenarios where u could feed your family after a few nights out any time during traditional season dates

Liv4rut- right on!!!! No shed bucks. Good compromise.

This season has more than ran its course. I think for a lot of people its just a reason to get out the big guns and as Sligh said, 'blast.'

This season does suck. It needs to run September 15th - 30th.

I think the season needs to go away completely, but if not these dates would be better. Although I think this would reseult in a big bump of bucks being 'arrowed' opening day of bow season.

I understand what u r saying but u can hunt for meat 3.5 other months out of the year. U don't hunt to brag about antlers- great but that doesn't have to happen when many bucks dont even have them & past jan 10 when u had months prior. If u r hunting in areas needing a thinning- I can't see too many scenarios where u could feed your family after a few nights out any time during traditional season dates

Liv4rut- right on!!!! No shed bucks. Good compromise.

So what effect at all does it have if you shoot one late season that has lost its antlers then if you shot one that hasnt shed its antlers? Either way the same deer is dead. It doesnt matter if its November 10th or January 10th that same deer would be dead. So explain to me why it would matter if you shoot him late season as opposed to any other season?

Top Bottom