Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late "Anterless" Season Opinions, ROUND 2!

What is your opinion of Shed Buck Season? (ok, yes, late Antlerless)

• The season was supposed to be temporary & needs to end as intended

Votes: 159 71.0%
  • I believe, on average, it's a great thing, does little damage & should stay

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • Too many hunters that don't know or care about what gets shot

Votes: 67 29.9%
  • Even the good intentioned have too many opportunities to make mistakes on shed bucks

Votes: 49 21.9%
  • I will be out hunting late antlerless & know I will not shoot a shed buck or button buck

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • I will not be out during shed buck season.

Votes: 74 33.0%
  • This season is a complete disaster & is very damaging to many areas & average hunting areas.

Votes: 82 36.6%
  • I've seen meat lockers full of shed bucks & personally seen many shed bucks killed

Votes: 19 8.5%
  • I support Farm Bureau and their strong lobbying for more deer killed.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I love Shed Buck Season & it's the only time of the year I can dust the guns off & blast!

Votes: 12 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Brian811, you will soon learn there is no arguing with skip...don't happen my friend. If the farmer knew I was passing deer just because he was a shed buck I wouldn't be welcome next season...its hard to keep telling him I didn't see any tonight when he sees 40 deer every time he takes a drive around his section. For whatever reason all I see is shed bucks or buttons when I go

Most land owners are farmers.
Most of those farmers want the deer shot.
The farmers are losing money due to deer.
Those farmers who want the deer shot do not care if they are does, fawns, fawns with spots, button buck, shed bucks, or antlered buck (does that cover them all???)
For them, if it has a mouth, they want it shot.
They are not growing deer, they are growing corn and beans and could care less if the deer are pressured for 4+ months.
They would rather have more money in their pockets for their work and investments than worry about someone's buck for next year.
You have to at least acknowledge their point of view.
And there will be deer in Iowa for 'the future generations', even if the hunters have to 'work' a little harder to be successful.

I'm more of a lurker, reading all of this. I did finally understand the 2nd above post as I've watched them all. Only a few guys have had to get personal and they stand out. I have a deep gut feeling, maybe I'm wrong because I don't personally know any of these guys- the above is rooted in some sort of jealousy? I don't know what it is but I do know when my gut is telling me something and a light goes off, I'm generally right. Maybe it's jealousy of other hunters, successful hunters or hunters who might have land you don't? I'm not sure but a light just went off. It could be your hunting skills are not what some random other guy's might be if you can't shoot a doe in an area with fields full of 40 deer. So you don't have the land, ability to manage and maybe resent or have jealousy of others, I don't know but I do know the personal attacks come from a few folks in general and if I could really know, I would ponder the majority stem from jealousy of some type. Could be wrong so I apologize if I am as I don't know you or some others or many to begin with period. Also, in both sides of this, Skip, Brian, Iowa buckeye, Patch, etc, folks on any side, thank you for having strong beliefs and opinions without the attacks. There's a lot of debate on this site and folks who don't like can easily not read it. When it gets personal, I don't get it. I do feel one side has a drastically better argument and position in this and do feel they have destroyed the other arguments with good reasoning & facts. That all being done without being personal. Great to read all points of view and I hope no one is silenced because they have a point of view of any side. I sure respect a whole host of posts that totally differ from what I believe.

Iowa Buckeye posted before I hit submit, not referring to him.

Last edited:
Those farmers who want the deer shot do not care if they are does, fawns, fawns with spots, button buck, shed bucks, or antlered buck (does that cover them all???)
They are not growing deer, they are growing corn and beans and could care less if the deer are pressured for 4+ months.
They would rather have more money in their pockets for their work and investments than worry about someone's buck for next year.
And there will be deer in Iowa for 'the future generations', even if the hunters have to 'work' a little harder to be successful.

I actually agree with you. I agree that many farmers have the exact position as you explain here, totally on board. I would ask- can we get to "goals" & whatever population is "decided" (decided by who is a different discussion & whatever the goal is & whether anyone agrees or not- DNR or legislature will have last word there) - get to those goals without this late antlerless season? *And we do have to have goals or #'s (hope you agree with that) whether we agree with them or not. Aside from year round hunting & poaching (let em lay to kill em or whatever)- we have to have an organized management plan & laws folks follow. Assume we agree their too. So- can we get to these "goals", "quotas", etc in a more "responsible" way? Can we accomplish this without the use of late season? Are you open to say a Sept doe season for example? *These farmers are issue depredation permits for summer hunting as well BTW. You make some good points though and I thoroughly agree with many of the sentiments, etc.

*These farmers are issue depredation permits for summer hunting as well BTW.
What program is that? When my farm had excessive deer damage, I had the DNR out and I was cleared to BUY lots of 10 tags that had to be filled in an existing season. I couldn't shoot during the summer.

I had a group of hunters who took care of the population problem with "across the counter" tags, shooting many deer during the late January antlerless. 3 or 4 years hunting and only 1 shed buck was shot by mistake.

The farmers Iowa_Buckeye speaks of are the reason why I do not lack areas to hunt. :way:

I seriously dont get a few of those statements....
"U moved here for better hunting. " Obviosuly bigger bucks is the main reason?? Because PA sure has a ton more land & a ton more deer. U don't want Iowa turn into PA- ok, how would that happen??? Regulation changes and bad season implementations would be my 1st answer. Why u likely moved to Iowa over MN, MO, etc or why lots of others choose Iowa over them.

Here's my MAIN issue I really am not understanding.... "the guy who shot the shed buck isn't hunting where u r hunting". I don't get that ... Most hunting in Iowa is done on land not owned by hunter. By permission. Most land has several hunters and sharing land with other groups & hunters is the norm. As well as public land being shared. So- in the main type of Iowa land & hunting- most land is shared an hunted by more than ONE person. Id say most is shared by many. The average sized over hunted land could easily see groups & hunters totalling double digits. So the guy shooting the shed buck is hunting land most on here would hunt as well. Why the average hunter is the one hurt the worst by this season. Their properties are likely blasted enough during regular season before this temp late season was added. Finally- most land is what, 80, 100, 160 acres??? In 640-1000 acre sections for example. 4-6 landowners per section is very common & deer do not just stay on one landowners land. So even a neighbor who shoots a shed buck really is hunting where u r. Unless I'm missing something.

I moved here for better quality of deer. Yes, that means bucks. I never said I don't want to shoot big bucks. And yes, Pa has a ton more land. But also a ton more hunters. But the deer numbers are not the same they were 20 years ago. I would be lucky to see a dozen deer in a season of hunting. And that was on private land. Pa's deer herd declined because they implemented that hunters could shoot both does and bucks during the two week rifle season. And since doe tags are only about $6, they sold out a lot. I was speaking of that one hunter in particular because it seemed that you guys were jumping all over him about it. I would prefer no shed bucks got shot the same as you. But it happens. If a guy hunts all season and can't fill a tag to put meat in the freezer for his family, then goes out one last time and all that he sees is a shed buck, should he not shoot merely because it might be a great buck that you passed on in hopes of getting him next year and not have any meat for his family? There will be other bucks. It's not the end of the world. I'm not arguing your thoughts on the late season. I'm just saying that some guys don't hunt like you and they shouldn't be cast down because of it.

What a worthless 19 pages of YAK!!! :thrwrck: See the poll!! The End!! Ya got guy's that just like to shoot things, guy's that are trying to be the next Lee/Stiffany! And the total % of that compared to the population of hunters in Iowa means DICK!! You can't shoot a deer by Dec. 31th! Go south and shoot a dog in Texas!!!!! :drink2::drink2:

Crockett said:
What a worthless 19 pages of YAK!!! :thrwrck: See the poll!! The End!! Ya got guy's that just like to shoot things, guy's that are trying to be the next Lee/Stiffany! And the total % of that compared to the population of hunters in Iowa means DICK!! You can't shoot a deer by Dec. 31th! Go south and shoot a dog in Texas!!!!! :drink2::drink2:

Haha! Stiffany! That's funny right there!

I acknowledge their point of view....why not kill does for them when bucks are antlered...makes identification easy. Thanks to the mandate for ethanol....farmers arwnt hurting all....wildlife is though.

Most farmers I have met would be happy if all deer were gone. Farmers and deer hunters will never agree. There should be some compromise, but the most $ talks the loudest. Always will come down to $ in the end. Hey,,I live in IA, and I see 12 deer a season. Actually,,saw 16 this past one. I was tickled to see more. Did the same in MI, as PA. Doe tags once were only a dollar. Unlimited too. Got lucky to see any deer up there. The Area I moved from, has never recovered.

Yes farmers want them all dead and gone but that doesn't mean you still don't have the right to your own opinions. You can still support the fact that this season has served its purpose to reduce the state's deer herd and want to do away with the late season. If there is no late rifle doe season you don't have to feel pressured to shoot deer in fear that you will lose your hunting spot.

And to touch on the statement that people that don't support this season are being selfish because they own land and want to have a chance at more bucks and more deer is borderline ridiculous. If anything, I'd bet most of the people on here that support this season going away are quite the opposite. For example, most people that have land are somewhat insualted from what happens on public or hunting ground that is hunted by multiple people. They control for the most part what is taken off of their ground and create habitat that will always attract deer so I don't think they are being selfish in the fact that they want more deer and that all deer are "theirs." In my case and I would venture to say in most cases I am simply looking out for the rest of the hunters in the state to continue to have huntable numbers to enjoy the sport next year and future years.

It is sort of like the pheasant scenario in Iowa. I don't really ever hunt pheasants but I still want to preserve what little is left and want that population to thrive again so that people can enjoy hunting them again. Pheasants once thrived in Iowa but through multiple factors they are now down to a level where a guy can walk all day and not see one. I know this is a bit bold but the deer population could easily fall victim to this same scenario if we hunters just sit back and let the government and farmers decide how many deer we are going to kill...which will be almost all of them if they get their way. Over time, killing of does will start to take its toll as it already has.

Also, while the population of deer is still at a level we can have influence to continue to let the numbers thrive why contiue to deplete it? So people that want to work super hard to shoot one deer feel more manly? Why make things harder than you really have to? If you want challenge, hunt new areas, hunt public areas that are hunted harder, take up hunting something new, but why keep reducing the numbers of a good thing thing like deer? That was one of the most bizarre arguments for keeping this season I've ever seen.

Yes farmers want them all dead and gone but that doesn't mean you still don't have the right to your own opinions. You can still support the fact that this season has served its purpose to reduce the state's deer herd and want to do away with the late season. If there is no late rifle doe season you don't have to feel pressured to shoot deer in fear that you will lose your hunting spot.

And to touch on the statement that people that don't support this season are being selfish because they own land and want to have a chance at more bucks and more deer is borderline ridiculous. If anything, I'd bet most of the people on here that support this season going away are quite the opposite. For example, most people that have land are somewhat insualted from what happens on public or hunting ground that is hunted by multiple people. They control for the most part what is taken off of their ground and create habitat that will always attract deer so I don't think they are being selfish in the fact that they want more deer and that all deer are "theirs." In my case and I would venture to say in most cases I am simply looking out for the rest of the hunters in the state to continue to have huntable numbers to enjoy the sport next year and future years.

It is sort of like the pheasant scenario in Iowa. I don't really ever hunt pheasants but I still want to preserve what little is left and want that population to thrive again so that people can enjoy hunting them again. Pheasants once thrived in Iowa but through multiple factors they are now down to a level where a guy can walk all day and not see one. I know this is a bit bold but the deer population could easily fall victim to this same scenario if we hunters just sit back and let the government and farmers decide how many deer we are going to kill...which will be almost all of them if they get their way. Over time, killing of does will start to take its toll as it already has.

Also, while the population of deer is still at a level we can have influence to continue to let the numbers thrive why contiue to deplete it? So people that want to work super hard to shoot one deer feel more manly? Why make things harder than you really have to? If you want challenge, hunt new areas, hunt public areas that are hunted harder, take up hunting something new, but why keep reducing the numbers of a good thing thing like deer? That was one of the most bizarre arguments for keeping this season I've ever seen.

So true..farmers really aren't good stewards of the land anymore. We are too far removed from the dust bowl. Regardless of the CSR, land is be tiled and terraced, leading Iowa's waterways being full of runoff nitrates. It's a losing battle, I can't get my old man to put a filter strip in, even though he got money through the Hungry Canyon's Alliance to stop erosion in his creek. It should be mandatory that filter strips be on both sides of a waterway, for the adjacent 20 yards. Anyway, where is the ELF when you need em, they could actually do some good by blowing up dozers and tiling machines.

I find it less stressful to worry about what only I can control. Would I shoot a shed buck if we could still hunt now? No....but I also wouldn't worry about what happened as a result of others. It'd make deer hunitng for me yr round, miserable.

I find it less stressful to worry about what only I can control. Would I shoot a shed buck if we could still hunt now? No....but I also wouldn't worry about what happened as a result of others. It'd make deer hunitng for me yr round, miserable.

I totally agree with that! In the Shed Buck Season example though.... Hunters, citizens, DNR, etc - do have control of this issue. They can change it. Just like any regulation, law, proposed law- DNR can work on hunters & citizens behalf to make responsible choices & push for biologically sound decisions. DNR has asked for lots of input on this last year, they got it!!!..... A lot are hoping that the next round FB is defeated and a season that was created as a temporary measure is ended like it should have been.
Right on though Kaare, great life outlook that I totally agree with in many ways!

So true..farmers really aren't good stewards of the land anymore. We are too far removed from the dust bowl. Regardless of the CSR, land is be tiled and terraced, leading Iowa's waterways being full of runoff nitrates. It's a losing battle, I can't get my old man to put a filter strip in, even though he got money through the Hungry Canyon's Alliance to stop erosion in his creek. It should be mandatory that filter strips be on both sides of a waterway, for the adjacent 20 yards. Anyway, where is the ELF when you need em, they could actually do some good by blowing up dozers and tiling machines.

I have several personal friends who farm.... Their exact words... "go out there, just shoot the deer & let em lay". It's concerning how many times I hear that. It's maybe more disturbing when I've witnessed it being done on several occasions by "hunters". I understand their dislike for deer BUT I am uneasy about their "narrow view" of them just getting a little more corn. I am also concerned with my own family (one I married into a couple years ago)- dozing every last possible inch of land, beginning to farm stuff that will quickly erode & not produce much to begin with- just for a few extra bucks. Totally their right & I understand why they do it BUT, in very short- I think it's short sighted & problematic in many ways.

Last edited:

Been waiting for someone to say that Kaare. At the end of the day it is just a deer, there are thousands more and if someone accidentally whacks a shed buck I will get over it. If it was a trophy, well that sucks but it isn't the end of the world. Every year a deer I was chasing gets killed by a neighbor, am I dissappointed, a bit but also am happy to see someone harvest a great buck. I know that when next year rolls around there will be plenty more to chase.

I do think the point of a lot of folks isn't - "should we simply JUST WORRY about this" - I don't think most on here do or want to do that. I think most want to see it changed back to traditional season. Also- kinda like a landowner "worrying" about poaching & trespassing, worrying alone doesn't do a thing BUT they do have some control & input that they are monitoring land, deterring those activities, putting up cameras to monitor & do the "worrying" for them.

Been waiting for someone to say that Kaare. At the end of the day it is just a deer, there are thousands more and if someone accidentally whacks a shed buck I will get over it. If it was a trophy, well that sucks but it isn't the end of the world. Every year a deer I was chasing gets killed by a neighbor, am I dissappointed, a bit but also am happy to see someone harvest a great buck. I know that when next year rolls around there will be plenty more to chase.

No kidding.

You remember that shed buck I shot back in late muzzy when you used to live here? Deer drive pushed a dozen deer by, I shot one, it ended up being a shed buck. I was mad for about 30 seconds then we gutted it, drug it, and went and shot a few more... and I believe you popped a button on accident?

The world kept spinning.

No kidding.

You remember that shed buck I shot back in late muzzy when you used to live here? Deer drive pushed a dozen deer by, I shot one, it ended up being a shed buck. I was mad for about 30 seconds then we gutted it, drug it, and went and shot a few more... and I believe you popped a button on accident?

The world kept spinning.

I thought we were talking about the need for late antlerless doe season not purely shed bucks or the traditional Iowa seasons which includes late muzzie...

Shooting shed bucks happens...happens to everyone...not a huge deal but something I don't try to personally do if I can help it. If it happens...sure we get over it and at the end of the day it is just a deer and the world keeps spinning. But I'm not sure why this keeps going back to shed bucks and now the traditional season. I thought it was intended to discuss the need for this late rifle season to reduce the state's deer population...

I thought we were talking about the need for late antlerless doe season not purely shed bucks or the traditional Iowa seasons which includes late muzzie...

Shooting shed bucks happens...happens to everyone...not a huge deal but something I don't try to personally do if I can help it. If it happens...sure we get over it and at the end of the day it is just a deer and the world keeps spinning. But I'm not sure why this keeps going back to shed bucks and now the traditional season. I thought it was intended to discuss the need for this late rifle season to reduce the state's deer population...

Agree!! Right on.

Top Bottom