Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late Muzzy buck

LoessHillsArcher

PMA Member
Not a huge history with this buck. Got a couple trail cam pics of him in the first 10 days of November in the middle of our farm. He only showed up on the one trail camera. Turns out we had one picture of him from 2015. We guessed him to be 4.5 this year and one that looked to have some big upside. One of the cooler, unique bucks we've ever had around. I figured he was one that likely was here for the rut and would move away once December rolled around. Well the trail cam he had been on in early November hadn't been checked since around Thanksgiving. I was hoping to get it checked yesterday afternoon but figured I'd hunt that area first and walk in there in the dark to check it. I really had my heart set on shooting a 5.5 yr old 10pt that we haven't had on cam since early Oct or one of the 4.5 8pts that have been around.

It was pretty warm and the action was quiet. Around 4:45 the deer start trotting through the timber in front of me. I can't make them out but can hear them. They begin filing out of the timber 180yds away through some weedy switchgrass. All does and fawns and then I catch movement at the back. It's a big bodied deer and he isn't taking the same path, he's staying inside the timber and about to run into the field right towards me. I bino'd the buck and was really surprised to see this guy! A second buck was behind him and I was hoping it was one of the 8pts but no luck. So this guy came out at ~115yds, I stopped him and took a shot. The gun cracked me right between the eyes and I was really expecting to be bleeding but had a big goose egg right away. The buck immediately bolted and looked hit hard. I ran out into the field to watch him and he jumped a thick fenceline and into our pasture and looked like he'd be going down. I grabbed my gear and walked up there and sure enough he was dead.

13 scorable points, not much mass or tine length. Grossed 155". May send the teeth in for the heck of it to get him aged. It's always bittersweet shooting something that seems to have some potential to be a future giant, just going to be pickier in the next few years. It's just as much fun to watch them grow up year to year but yesterday the excitement got to me when he came out, he's a really cool buck! By far the most unique one I've ever shot. Hopefully he made some babies this fall!

IMG_2399_zpsz3ktjxjq.jpg

IMG_2402_zpsipva86fp.jpg

2016%2022_zps8qqxh1e7.jpg

2016%2020_zpsvyk04c4y.jpg

2016%2016_zpsiao43nph.jpg

2016%206_zps8axsyibm.jpg

EK000306_zpsmgglnuno.jpg

EK000309_zpsydbded4g.jpg

EK000273_zpsk9stptpn.jpg

Awesome buddy, congrats on getting it done again! Not surprised to see you and the family having another great year. Pass a congrats on to everyone from me!!!!

Top Bottom