Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late Rubbing Aactivity

K

Keystone

I have found two new buck rubs on my land this past week. I now for certain that they and very resent because I am in this area every few days.

Is anyone seeing fresh rubs and is this something that we can expect this late in the year? How long will bucks rub?

I see alot of fresh rubs this time of year when I'm shed hunting. I have a suspicion that bucks "feel" the urge to shed or "get itchy" antlers this time of year. I also view alot of bucks sparring very seriously. A friend of mine actually watched two small bucks go at it a couple of weeks ago,and one of the bucks took down the other and really beat the snot out of him. I suppose it's the old saying, "boys will be boys" no matter what time of year it is. I have seen bucks though make rubs constantly or spar with another buck consistenly(up to an hour at a time) until they shed their antlers. It must have something to do with all the fresh rubs.

I have seen some newer rubs to.It was a surprize.But,I kick up 4 bucks and all had the racks on them yet.

I have often found new rubs late in the year and as someone mentioned, I think they are just rying to knock the darn things off. Matter of fact I once found a medium size 4 point laying right next to a new rub, and the pedical was snapped off as opposed to the normal crown. (That is something I would like to discuss some day too). I have noticed the lates season rubs tend to be less aggressive, and many times just ruffed up a little to the white of the bark, and not down to the wood. Hae you noticed this also?

I also have noticed this same thing. The rubs on our farm seemed to go untouched for over a month, but as I've noticed while shed hunting, many have become active again. None are torn to shreds like in October/November, but the white on the tree is really showing.

And I thought I was seeing things. I was out today just for a walk around my small piece of heaven and I thought I saw fresh rubs on the same trees that were ripped up last fall. I told myself I was halucinating and it was just the rain that made them look brighter, more white that a few weeks ago, but the bark was kinda shaggy on the edges. They sure looked fresh. Maybe I'll find sheds.

The 'Bonker

Is there any sugnificant meaning to this late season rubing or just old habits from the past few months? Area marking, trail marking etc. Do more mature bucks keep their antlers longer? I was once advised that the dominate buck will keep his antlers longer than the lesser???

Well I'm glad I'm not going crazy, because I thought I would try my hand at finding a few sheds, although I must admit I don't think I have the nack for it, and I have been seeing trees in every woods I have been in that look as if they have been freshly raked. It really surprised the heck out of me and it made me wonder if I was just not being able to distinguish how old rubs were or if I might be perhaps just a little early in my quest to find any good sheds since they are still traveling around on their hosts. I have had people tell me in the last week that they are still seeing bucks with there headgear, so is this a sign that they are getting ready to shed them by the revitalized activity of the rubs?

Earlier today me my dad and brother went out looking for sheds and we seen about 4 or 5 fresh rubs

Top Bottom