Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

late rut cruisers

zattack10

Hey guys, I remember as a youngster on thanksgiving going out to shoot squirrels and seeing big bruisers cruising around. But I'd like to know when the latest you saw a big boy cruising for does? I know, generally, the late rut movement is Nov. 20 - Nov.28th. But will they cruise up until the first week of December? -November 26th (thanksgiving for me)

My experience leads me to believe that they will continue to search ( although not as demanding) for does right up until the shotgun hunters hit the woods and put them on survival mode. At that time breeding takes a big backseat to staying alive.

I have too witnessed late December rutting by mature bucks as well, when those yearling does randomly break in. I am talking strictly "The rut" in November. I killed a mature buck nov. 17 two years ago that was cruising but other than that the only other time I can remember is thanksgiving!

I have watched a buck shed an antler while chasing around a young doe in heat...that was a few years ago in SW Iowa on New years day...

Biggest buck kill for me was a cruiser at 1600 in a river bottom funnel on 11/19/07. A 150 inch I killed 11/24/12 was cruising across an open field towards a clover plot at 1700. Saw a better buck that same day around 1000 in a timber thicket trailing some does that had moved through about 30 minutes earlier. Shoulder hit one on Thanksgiving morning in a timber funnel about 12 years ago that I never found. Tank - the buck I killed this year on 10/29 was tending a doe on Thanksgiving AM 2013 on the same timber flat as I shot him this fall in late Oct.

So, my opinion is yes, mature bucks can definitely be on their feet between 11/20 and shotgun opener cruising for does. Hunt the does and search out travel funnels and you may see a dominate buck up on it's feet. May not be the quantity of deer seen 2-4 weeks earlier but what you do see might be worth the time spent in the tree.

I've rattled in bucks up to right around the later orange clad seasons. I prefer the proactive approach as oppose to just sitting and waiting for something to cruise on there own during this period, but that's just my personal preference. Any time that you got some free time.. and can be in the treestand.. it increasing the likely hood of catching something on the move.

A couple years ago during 2nd shotgun I saw a buck nosing around and chasing does in a cornfield (only about 18-20 to choose from!). I also saw one bedded with a doe during 2nd shotgun about 5-6 years ago. Neither were what you would call a bruiser, so maybe irrelevant to your post here, but there was at least some action still. These two were probably both 3.5 or 4.5 yr olds.

2 years ago on opening morning of shotgun season. I was in stand very early and it was a full moon. I was just waiting for legal shooting time because a stud of a buck was grunting and chasing an old doe like it was his job. Could see it clear as day through the binos for about 45 minutes. Some joker on neighboring property let his shotgun bark early and the doe headed for cover with the buck trailing right behind her. I've also seen some rut action late muzzleloader season. But these next 2 weekends are my favorite to be in stand. Alot of times it's not a matter of getting a mature buck in range but being lucky enough that he has all tines left.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The week of thanksgiving has always been one of my favorites. Part because I'm still student and get a full week to do nothing but hunt and part because I always have good movement.

On a side note- something I'm interested to see this year is what kind of luck I have rattling. I haven't rattled or grunted in a single buck so far this year. Will sitting in stand I've thought back and it seems like most of the bucks I've rattled in have been in late November. So I'm interested to see what kind of luck I have with calling next week.

I have always had good luck right up to shotgun 1. Hunt the fields in the evenings and it seems a pig always shows up to check out the ladies.

I assume the responses from calling will start to increase again, but this is from a guy who doesn't do much calling...I'm more the sit in a funnel and wait type.

Last Week of Nov

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The week of thanksgiving has always been one of my favorites. Part because I'm still student and get a full week to do nothing but hunt and part because I always have good movement.

On a side note- something I'm interested to see this year is what kind of luck I have rattling. I haven't rattled or grunted in a single buck so far this year. Will sitting in stand I've thought back and it seems like most of the bucks I've rattled in have been in late November. So I'm interested to see what kind of luck I have with calling next week.

Agreed. I hunt in SW Iowa and the last week of November has always produced some of the best rut-movement of the year. The bucks are always more aggressive with their cruising during that week and they seem to respond better to calling. I rattle very seldom, but during that week I'll take the horns out more than usual.

I like some rattling during that time too. Late AM we've rattled bucks out of beds & killed them on several occasion in the Nov 20-28 timeframe. I don't go nuts with calling but it works. If one is on the hoof looking late Nov, really good chance he'll come in. New bucks coming around the does around food sources seem to happen once in a while too later Nov. Struggle & mental game around later Nov - it can be slower than the earlier rut (where often guys love seeing lots of bucks but many are younger or most) but some age class jumps for sure. Can be boring & sure sucks sitting at 10:30 when you think they quit 2 hours before then but all the sudden a dandy shows. Or 1:30 when you think it's early & boring, boom, a big one cruises through. It's worth it but tough to be out a lot when it gets boring. Mental game & absolutely can pay off big for those willing to put in the time.

Top Bottom