Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Late Season Tips?

camo658

I'm thinking of getting out this late season after Christmas with the stick and string. For those of you who have experienced success during this period, what would be your tips ,for being successful ,during this period. Food is a given. Anything else...???

If hunting over or near a food source, only hunt evenings. Don't risk sneaking in there in the mornings. Get to stand early so you don't blow out deer that come out early. Had 3 come out at 2:45 today, last thing you want is to bump them and have them alert the whole woods before a sit. Most important be sure you can get out without spooking any deer or very few deer. This is the most important part for me. Must be minimally invasive.

Yes. Dress warm! I didn't plan well one time and ended up going back to the truck before it even started to get dark. Then checked the camera and had a nice buck walk by it 40 minutes after I did. Very disappointing...

If hunting over or near a food source, only hunt evenings. Don't risk sneaking in there in the mornings. Get to stand early so you don't blow out deer that come out early. Had 3 come out at 2:45 today, last thing you want is to bump them and have them alert the whole woods before a sit. Most important be sure you can get out without spooking any deer or very few deer. This is the most important part for me. Must be minimally invasive.

I was thinking the same thing... Thanks..

What about GB or Tree Stand? Should I sit directly over food or more like in a funnel when I catch them going from bedding to food?

I was thinking the same thing... Thanks.. What about GB or Tree Stand? Should I sit directly over food or more like in a funnel when I catch them going from bedding to food?
Late season I prefer a ground blind while on a food source just because there are usually 20-30 sets of eyes in the field. My MN buck shot late last December was shot over a bean plot in a treestand...still don't know how I was able to draw and get it done without anything seeing me. Don't think I moved an inch that whole sit until I drew back on that buck!!

Last edited:
If possible - Dont miss days of snow with low temps.

Yep! The two biggest bucks I ever shot were Nov 23rd this year (-10 wind chill) and December 20 last year (-15 wind chill). The cold usually gets them moving especially when a snow storm is coming or has just passed.

All above is good stuff. Evenings only, get out early, on food, in groundblind to keep the wind/elements off. I do have an optional thrown together brush/grass groundblind in a thicket along the fenceline for warmer evenings. I wear snow camo and fresh earth cover scent. I have had luck in the past using "the can" to turn'm when necessary. Very quiet out there this time of year. I like it. And, they are so much easier to drag out over the snow!

I'd also like to add to the above great points.

Make sure you are dressed correctly so you are not miserable in the stand. Hard to be merino wool base layers and socks, then layer with more clothes (preferably more wool IMO) to make sure you are warm.

Top Bottom