Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

lbs per acre when drilling soybeans

waylonb19

Roughly how many lbs per acre are guys planting soybeans when drilling them? I was thinking around the 60-70lb mark sound about right?

If you're doing it for a foodplot, you are just fine in the ballpark - even depending on how many beans = a pound. For deer, I tend to go on the high end of things. I'll even double plant them right along the timber OR in a secluded part where the deer hammer them. Usually, most folks are putting 75 lbs (on avg depending on bean) to acre. I've got em at about 100 lbs on my place cause the deer really do thin them for me. U sure have more leeway to overplant beans than you do corn. Get after em with P&K (and Lime if needed) and make sure you are planting enough acres & you'll be good.

You can plant that much for your food plot, no problem. Especially if you are able to micro manage those spots. Typically you can just use roughly one bag of soybeans per acre. Again the seed companies for the most part are packaging them by seed count, not by weight. Remember if that planting soybeans too close together can limit their producing potential and plant them too close to structure (timber) can result in the same lack of productivity. Soybean, IMHO, are one of the best food plots out there a guy can put in. You can buy a late maturing variety and hunt them in early October and then later in December / January. Good luck man, fertilize, read the seed bag directions, and look into having some herbicide applied as well. You'll like the results :)

Top Bottom