Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

leasing ground

pandy175

If you lease ground, can you get a landowners permit if the landowner doesn't hunt the ground??? I have heard of guys doing this and wondered if it is true??
confused.gif

You have to be either a landowner or a tenant to get free landowner tags.

From the DNR website: "“Tenant” means a person who is a resident of Iowa and who rents and actively farms a farm unit owned by another person. A member of the owner’s family may be a tenant. Rental includes cash rent and share crop arrangements. A person who works on a farm for a wage and is not a family member does not qualify as a tenant."

I think just leasing the ground for hunting rights most likely does not satisfy being a tenant. Contact a CO if you know somebody doing this and see what happens.
waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
If you lease ground, can you get a landowners permit if the landowner doesn't hunt the ground???

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and quite a few people do it. It is commonly referred to as "poaching".

Pardon my sarcasim.
angel.gif

Yup, talked to a CO about this last year. They said that people have done it in the past(illegally) but they're trying to crack down on them more.

I thought it was illegal, but I sure know a lot of people that have done it. I was just wondering why the system allowed them to do it?

With the new landowner registration, needing the property tax ID number, how can this happen? My understanding is that only those with the proper ID can get a landowner permit and leasing hunting rights certainly doesn't qualify. I am a firm believer in the fact that no matter how good the system is some lowlife criminal types will try to find a way arround the rules for their personal gain.

Then isn't the landowner tag in the landowner's name just like the tax number? That is what I was told when I first registered my tax number and then it pulls up automaticly when they swipe my drivers license.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know that answer, but just know of people leasing ground and get landowner tags last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

TURN IN POACHERS!
tiplogo.gif

TIP

Standing around and doing nothing is what will get nothing solved, alerting the authorities will at least get things moving.

Top Bottom