Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Lespedeza advice

Jim Holloway

I'm creating my food plots and tall grass area this year and next spring. I will be able to get the food plot(s) in this summer/fall but not the tall/native grasses until spring. The area we fenced off and cleared is mostly pasture and belongs to my father-in-law. He's left the actual management to me, and I plan on killing it all off, putting in a food plot this fall, and then planting the grasses in the spring. He said yesterday that he thought the lespedeza he has growing all over the pasture is good food plot material or to leave in the tall grass. I couldn't tell that it was good for either, but have no intention of leaving it, other than waterways. My thought is that food plots are pretty well laid out as I buy them and I have to kill it all off anyway. My thought on the other area is that the tall grass will not allow the lespedeza to grow anyway, and I will be doing a kill off prior to planting. Additionally I don't see how this is considered a "choice" by many for habitat options. However, as a matter of dotting my "I's" and crossing my "T's" I wanted to see if anyone has experience with this and what are your thoughts? Thanks for any input.

Which lespedeza u talking about? Are u referring to sericea lesperdeza? Google it and look at pics & confirm. If so- u for sure don’t want that!!!!!! Kill it!! I’ve been battling a little sericea this year and the stuff sucks. Can kill it if u do it right- no doubt. There’s some other types of lesperdeza that are not in this category. So- just wanna clarify.
On other note- killing stuff in fall & having a dead as dead gets, clean seed bed... that right there is how u want to go into winter. toasted! Then, u will have a much easier time getting your natives dialed in. Preparation is key there so if u make sure u end the year with a nuked field - u on right path for natives. Then it’s next step: planting at correct time (depending on what u wanna plant - switch needs freezing & thawing for example) & following correct paths for herbicides & mowing later.
Good luck & read on all the planting stuff in dbltree forums - any info u could ever imagine.

https://mdc.mo.gov/trees-plants/problem-plant-control/invasive-plants/sericea-lespedeza-control

Thanks for the advice, it's very helpful. I'll have to take another look and get back on you for the specific subspecies. The specific name was from my father-in-law, whose land this is. I will have to double check the details and clarify exactly what type it is. Despite his apparent love of the plant, he has made it clear that the final management decisions go to me though, so I plan on nuking it and nuking it soon.

Top Bottom