Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Liberty Link anyone?

Gladiator

PMA Member
I have 2 bags of Liberty Link beans available if anyone can use them? If you have access to a bag or two of Round Up Ready beans, I would gladly trade.

I'm not going to be buying the Liberty herbicide, so they are pretty much useless for me...

I live in Mount Vernon, IA so if you are close, let me know...

I'll take them Matt. I used Liberty Link beans last year and while you cannot spray them with gly, if memory serves, we used a generic version of Select(clethodim) with success.

Just buy ignite or Liberty herbicide for those of u thinking of using them. In this time/environment of roundup resistant weeds- Liberty will work better. Probably around the same price for herbicide as well. I'm guessing $50-60 a gallon but it's 22-25 oz per spray i think. I'm all Liberty this year.
Clethodim isn't going to be enough. U might might might get away with it if u put huge amounts of pre emergents down but I still say it wouldn't stop pigweed & waterhemp. I'd still do pre's no matter what but u need a broad post herbicide. Liberty + warrant + prowl is my mix this year. Might do some areas with sonic instead of warrant to compare the difference. Likely very little. Spray those weeds when they r small!!!!

Your farming for deer not for profit , few weeds won't kill a guy . I wouldn't over think it unless you've had problems in the past .

Your farming for deer not for profit , few weeds won't kill a guy . I wouldn't over think it unless you've had problems in the past .

True - but in most areas where I'm in (yes, this could be regional) the round-up resistant weeds have been extremely bad for the past 5+ years & ive seen "reasonably sprayed fields" take over by them frequently- all going to seed I might add. As in towering over fields and almost an inability to kill them. One coop by me sold 95%+ Liberty beans this year and only ordered roundup beans by request. Having towering roundup resistant plants in crops or food plots spreading millions of seeds isn't good for anyone - deer or farmer. Just saying this as a "paradigm change" that roundup has created some issues where folks are being forced to think of other solutions even though they've been trained for 20 years to "just spray round up". Round up resistance just isn't good for anything when it comes to nasty aggressive & prolific weeds such as pw & wh. In my "deer plots" I'm still gonna hammer those nasty weeds. Don't need perfection by far but want to keep the really bad ones out.

True - but in most areas where I'm in (yes, this could be regional) the round-up resistant weeds have been extremely bad for the past 5+ years & ive seen "reasonably sprayed fields" take over by them frequently- all going to seed I might add. As in towering over fields and almost an inability to kill them. One coop by me sold 95%+ Liberty beans this year and only ordered roundup beans by request. Having towering roundup resistant plants in crops or food plots spreading millions of seeds isn't good for anyone - deer or farmer. Just saying this as a "paradigm change" that roundup has created some issues where folks are being forced to think of other solutions even though they've been trained for 20 years to "just spray round up". Round up resistance just isn't good for anything when it comes to nasty aggressive & prolific weeds such as pw & wh. In my "deer plots" I'm still gonna hammer those nasty weeds. Don't need perfection by far but want to keep the really bad ones out.

What part of the state are you in ? I'm in the west. Good friends with a seed regional guy and he said they didn't sell a bag this year in his area. Definitely some resistance out there dont get me wrong , just not bad enough in this area to start seeing 95% of people switching from RR to LL.

Just a FWIW, my farm is in Davis County and I do not have good sense of what real farmers around me are experiencing in terms of RR resistance...but the local farmer that plants beans and corn for me is quite convinced that RR resistance is an issue in our area. It was his recommendation/decision to go to Liberty Link(LL) last year for my beans and I didn't object.

So last year was the first time planting any LL product on my place. I was able to achieve marginal weed control in the bean plot via using a generic clethodim product, but given what I am reading about stubborn pigweed, which I did have some of last year, I think I should probably try to improve my weed eradication program this year.

FYI, the farmer planted a RR corn variety, so his concern about RR resistance seems to be more on the beans than the corn it would seem. I am not worried about the appearance of a deer plot or some weeds here and there, but I also don't want to be "that guy" in the neighborhood that would potentially lead to spreading RR resistant weeds to neighboring places.

After all, I am just a weekend warrior food plotter, but some of my neighbors are actually farming adjacent ground for a living, so I definitely do not want to cause them any issues. Some of them already think that I am crazy to plant what I do for the deer/turkey/pheasants/quail :D...I don't want to validate their concerns by indirectly contributing to weed problems on their places.

Interesting topic, good discussion...thanks to all for sharing your thoughts, knowledge and experiences.

Not sure why you would want to use LL beans and then not use Liberty herbicide on them? Other than cause they're free maybe.

Not sure why you would want to use LL beans and then not use Liberty herbicide on them? Other than cause they're free maybe.

I can't recall exactly now, because for me this first became a consideration last year around this time, but...I seem to recall that at first I did not know what I could/should use on LL products. I knew it couldn't be RR, but I didn't know what it needed to be. (Note - because I had someone else plant them for me, I didn't have much/any familiarity with LL products before that time.)

Then, and here is where I am fuzzy on memory, I think I needed, or thought I needed, a restricted use license to get/apply the LL herbicide. So that is what led me to use generic clethodim, which I now understand may not have been the optimal choice.

What part of the state are you in ? I'm in the west. Good friends with a seed regional guy and he said they didn't sell a bag this year in his area. Definitely some resistance out there dont get me wrong , just not bad enough in this area to start seeing 95% of people switching from RR to LL.

Buddy who sells seed in SE iowa was the one that sold all LL beans. A few exceptions. Pretty big operation & coop. I'm not in SE iowa but I have same thing in my area. Ya, LL beans and hammer them with LL herbicide & pre-emergent when the weeds are small. I have Ag beans and deer beans, treat them both the same pretty much, maybe a touch lighter on pre-emergent in my deer plots but not a lot different.

So, here's the thinking.... If you've done Round-up corn then round-up beans for 20 years, you'll possibly see what's going on in my neighborhood and all along the interstate I see with round-up resistant weeds - they have been towering in most the bean fields I've seen. MOST of my neighbors will at least cycle through Liberty for a year or a few seasons to break the cycle. Before they did that and same with my land.... The beans had some towering resistant weeds that could not be killed if they got past about 12" or so ballpark, if they got that big, done, you were kinda screwed. So, most the guys that were not able to get to them in time & had round-up - if they did want to control things, ended up spraying Cobra or similar..... Turned the bean field brown and was kind of like the "Nuclear Bomb" last ditch effort. Now, the good thing, the beans did bounce back but geesh, you looked at em for 2-3 weeks and looked like they were cooked. Break the cycle is all I'm suggesting. Each year a lot more folks are, maybe it's regionally though.

Is rogueing bean fields still a thing? I know it is more costly to do this than to spray, but if there is widespread resistance to the available herbicides, is "walking beans" making a comeback anywhere?

I am sure that I could hit the high spots in my little plots if some of the tougher to fight weeds didn't get sprayed in time, etc., but is it a practical thing to consider on larger fields?

To the best of my knowledge Liberty is not a restricted herbicide. It is a non-selective herbicide as is RU, just different so a different gene protects the primary product (usually corn or beans). Mostly beneficial as an option when some weeds start showing resistance to RU. Liberty costs more per gal than RU (glyphosate) products but you also use less volume per acre so it's not all that bad (maybe 2x gly +/-). Beats having RR ragweed & waterhemp so tall that my wife had trouble getting a clear shot in the bean plot from her elevated blind.

To the best of my knowledge Liberty is not a restricted herbicide. It is a non-selective herbicide as is RU, just different so a different gene protects the primary product (usually corn or beans). Mostly beneficial as an option when some weeds start showing resistance to RU. Liberty costs more per gal than RU (glyphosate) products but you also use less volume per acre so it's not all that bad (maybe 2x gly +/-). Beats having RR ragweed & waterhemp so tall that my wife had trouble getting a clear shot in the bean plot from her elevated blind.

EXACTLY :) Not restricted and you pay less to spray at roughly 25 oz to the acre so likely less $ than round-up or similar but better control.

Just stating my observations no need to get worked up . Called him today on the question - 11000 units of soybeans in his area and not one bag of liberty . A lot can change from area to area .

Don't know that anyone was "worked up". Just answering questions on how LL works and reporting on what I did & why. Lots of other ways to deal with weed problems if you're a big time farmer with lots of equipment and many acres. Might be different if I was dealing with chemical cost and yield on a few thousand acres but I'm dealing with A total of 5 or 6 acres on 3 places, all sprayed with a UTV & 24 gal sprayer. A couple extra $$ or less yield from LL beans means nothing to me if the wife can see the deer in her food plot.

Top Bottom