Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Locust trees

shrek1

PMA Member
Whats your best plan for killing these things? Spray, tree spikes, girdling -I'm open to any suggestions.

Remedy and diesel at 1 part remedy to 3 parts diesel. Spray the bottom 15 inches of the trunk. Are they honey locust or black locust?? Black locust make great fence posts and if you have the time and energy I would cut them up to sell the posts and spray the stump.

Tordon sprayed on the cambium layer after cutting will kill the trees too.

We've had 100% success using Tordon RTU on locust trees. We use a hatchet to "hack" thru the bark on a downward angle 3-4 places around the tree and then pouring in the Tordon.

We buy a small bottle at TSC for around 16 bucks and you just squirt some into the hacks or into a chainsaw girdle.

Kills em dead so far and you don't need to carry a bunch of "stuff"...just wear some protective gloves to keep the "poison" off your hands...;)

Tordon TRU

dbltree is right. Locust hates Tordon in anything. Also you can girdle in Aug. when its trying to send sap down and kill it without any spray. You will get your best kill when sap is trying to store in the roots. Haven't used Remedy but will look into it. I've tried boring holes with a cordless drill and use Tordon in the holes but you don't get a complete kill.

I tried drilling into mulberrys and squirting Tordon in and it only killed branches on that side of the tree.:(

I've been clearing fence lines this spring and used Tordon on the cut stumps. There were a few locusts in the fence line and I wanted to be sure to kill the roots as I have heard they sucker bad! Should know soon how well the Tordon worked, but early indications are :way:

Remedy and diesel can be used at anytime of year, but use the tordon when the sap is flowing down instead of up cause that may push the tordon out.

I've had good luck with a mixture of crossbow,2-4D and crop oil mixed hot and put on heavy on the smaller ones. How big are they?

I use a hot mix of roundup on trees that are shorter than I am with great success. They are usually 1 inch or less in diamater.

Remedy and diesel can be used at anytime of year, but use the tordon when the sap is flowing down instead of up cause that may push the tordon out.

There are two types of conductive tissues in plants and trees, xylem and phloem. Xylem brings water and soil nutrients up from the roots, phloem moves the products of photosynthesis down to the roots. This occurs whenever the plant is actively growing. As long as you get the Tordon to the phloem, it should make it to the roots to kill the tree.

We cut 1000s of Black Locust out of our CRP along our crick this year. Cut them clean off at the ground level or as high as a foot up, sprayed immediately with tordon and they were toast!

What are you guys thoughts on black locust as bedding cover? I have a couple ections that we cut down and they are growing back up in thick little tangles but the deer seem to be making beds in them. Seems like good cover to me but most I have talked to HSTE them.

On our ground they haven't made that great of cover, beings they were coming up in our CRP we'd prefer to have the switch and big blue over the black locust. And the fact they spread like wild fire...very invasive!!! Someone a long while back thought they could bulldoze the large ones along our crick..probably when putting the CRP in, they only increased the problem because the roots of the original large trees lived and sprouted 1000s of new trees, leaving a mess to deal with now

We have about 5 acres of switch and make a point to not cause more growth anywhere near it. We do however have two areas that are in the middle of nowhere and thought to try and make it a bit larger on the edhe of some cedars. I am always confused on whether or not to kill em all or use them for cover? Anybody had their deer use them for bedding?

There are two types of conductive tissues in plants and trees, xylem and phloem. Xylem brings water and soil nutrients up from the roots, phloem moves the products of photosynthesis down to the roots. This occurs whenever the plant is actively growing. As long as you get the Tordon to the phloem, it should make it to the roots to kill the tree.

A lot of people girdle and then apply the tordon to the cut area. Sap that is flowing up can push some of the tordon out of the cut. I have had good kills about any time of the year, but some people will only apply when the sap is flowing down.

If the locust is honey locust, I would advise leaving some of these trees - deer really like the pods & I have witnessed deer walking through corn to a honey locust tree to eat the pods. Honey locust trees are quick to colonize an area, which can result in a monoculture, in which case you should remove all but a few. If you only have an occasional honey locust, I would leave them & know that deer like to eat the pods.

Mick

The best way is to treat them with a mixture of diesel and dozer. Spray the diesel in the fuel tank. I strongly dislike that tree... I just cleared 2-3 acres with the above method and still can't work the soil till I locate steel wheels to do some discing..... : (

I have had excellent luck girdling round them with chainsaw and squirting lots of Tordon in the girdle, all the way around. It's FAST, cheap and effective.

If the locust is honey locust, I would advise leaving some of these trees - deer really like the pods & I have witnessed deer walking through corn to a honey locust tree to eat the pods. Honey locust trees are quick to colonize an area, which can result in a monoculture, in which case you should remove all but a few. If you only have an occasional honey locust, I would leave them & know that deer like to eat the pods.

Mick

Leaving some for diversity if always a good idea!! :way:

Top Bottom