Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Logging Decision

tmule88

I purchased a farm a few months ago and trying to decide weather or not to have it logged. I bought the piece solely for hunting purposes but it has some very mature walnuts and white oaks. What other things do I have to consider when making this decision? What are the pros and cons? Others who have decided to make this move, what impact did it have on wildlife?

Selective cut to get $$ and create better bedding and browse in desired locations.

If you like the park-like setting don’t do anything.

If you do have logging done, hire a trusted forester on an hourly basis to go in and mark trees and then have him get bids for logging process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Timber is a crop and should be harvested wisely, as with anything common sense always prevails. Find an honest buyer , possibly sell on a grade and yield / percentage. The landowner should have the final say on how the timber is cut. For instance you can leave stand a large white oak that isn't a quality log and let it drop acorns.

Great advice!!! Get BIDS. Make competition work. More importantly- get someone who can help that can look past $!!!! Not selling stuff too early (veneer walnuts to be precise - sell 26” dbh & up only....). Conservativionist & land lover who is honest. Weed out the crooked loggers (good foresters will know who NOT to deal with!!). A good Forester helping u with sale will also have very good contracts in place & police the harvest. Be careful & have someone involved who is an expert & has your land & ur best interest in mind. Good luck!
TSI after logging is done BTW!!!! Promote good quality species & cut out the crap.

Top Bottom