Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Longbow Tom

Shovelbuck

This was one of those hunts that a person never is prepared for but hopes it works out. I had parked the truck, strung the bow, and was walking to a deadfall that has been good in the past for hunting from. I was about a hundred yards from the truck and had another 100 to go to get to the hide when I heard a thundering gobble coming from between me and the deadfall.
Ok, calm down Jay, you've done this before, find a place to hide and fast!!! I spotted the nearest pine tree that looked like I could blend in to and became one with it.;) I nocked the lone arrow I was carrying and then gave a few soft come here big boy yelps. Another thunder gobble and the game was on. The Merriam covered that 100 yards in a matter of seconds looking for love. What he found instead was a big Tusker broadhead blowing through the vertebrate at the base of his head.:way: I was a bit upset with myself for the seven yard shot placement though, as I was shooting for his head.:rolleyes:
Regardless, he was flopping before he knew what happened.
I'm really glad that this bird came to me the way it did as it may very well be my last bow bird. I've been fighting a bad left thumb for over a year that is only getting worse and it's very painful to shoot or grip anything. This bird is icing on the cake to an archery hobby that has treated me very well for over 4 decades.

Stats.......24 lbs.
Beard......9.5 inches
Spurs......Both 1 inch

DSCN1519-1.jpg

DSCN1505-Copy-1.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats!!!!

Wow that sounds like a fun hunt and with a longbow no less.......I really want to get into traditional archery.....stories like this fuel the fire.

What is it they say? "Success is when preperation and opportunity come together".

Nice bird,, and a great hunt.. I'll bet you figure out away around the thumb too.

Not surprised, but still impressed!
:way:

You always come through, Jay!

Shovelbuck said:
This was one of those hunts that a person never is prepared for but hopes it works out. I had parked the truck, strung the bow, and was walking to a deadfall that has been good in the past for hunting from. I was about a hundred yards from the truck and had another 100 to go to get to the hide when I heard a thundering gobble coming from between me and the deadfall.
Ok, calm down Jay, you've done this before, find a place to hide and fast!!! I spotted the nearest pine tree that looked like I could blend in to and became one with it.;) I nocked the lone arrow I was carrying and then gave a few soft come here big boy yelps. Another thunder gobble and the game was on. The Merriam covered that 100 yards in a matter of seconds looking for love. What he found instead was a big Tusker broadhead blowing through the vertebrate at the base of his head.:way: I was a bit upset with myself for the seven yard shot placement though, as I was shooting for his head.:rolleyes:
Regardless, he was flopping before he knew what happened.
I'm really glad that this bird came to me the way it did as it may very well be my last bow bird. I've been fighting a bad left thumb for over a year that is only getting worse and it's very painful to shoot or grip anything. This bird is icing on the cake to an archery hobby that has treated me very well for over 4 decades.

Stats.......24 lbs.
Beard......9.5 inches
Spurs......Both 1 inch

Im callin bs. U didnt have a thousand dollar bow, dsd decoys, a rack pack or bullheads or a double bull blind. Without these things there is NO way to shoot a turkey. Bull roar! :)

Great Job Jay!

Top Bottom