Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Looking for a new Broadhead...

I have had good experiences with the NAP hellrazor. Come very sharp, easy to resharpen. Fly like fieldtips. Get good penetration. Had good bloodtrails from them.

I'm in the same boat of looking for a new broadhead. I have used cheap (can't beat a 6 pack for $20 and cheap replacement blades) Cabelas 3 blade broadheads since I started bowhunting 13 years ago and they don't make them anymore so it's time to find a new one. They killed a ton of deer and I can't say I ever lost a deer because of the broadhead, only because of my bad shots. Looking forward to hearing what people like and don't like as well.

Same boat for me. I would guess I have killed 75 deer withose Cabela's heads. If anyone has replacement blades for 100 grain Lazer pro mag super mini, let me know. They are in a yellow box with no. 4 on the end. I am down to a couple year supply.

Same boat for me. I would guess I have killed 75 deer withose Cabela's heads. If anyone has replacement blades for 100 grain Lazer pro mag super mini, let me know. They are in a yellow box with no. 4 on the end. I am down to a couple year supply.
This is the Jackson’s lucky day!! After reading your post I remembered I bought something like them if I still had them for the boys eons ago.
I checked before going to the daily grind. I have 5-6 heads with two boxes of blades.
Hum... these must be like gold now that they are no longer produced..... so I would trade these for 3 Iron Wills:cool: ...... okay this probably isn’t a fair trade :D:D
Joking aside I have enough IWs;)
I’ll let you and DH93 fight over them.
I’ll see that you get them either at the IBA spring banquet or my son can hand them over at church.

This video just impresses me so much I have to post it. 65# recurve with heavy broad heads blowing thru buffalo shoulders. These heads are good.

Side note... I tested BH’s & 6-8 types of arrows anfew years ago. I’d highly recommend easton FMJ Injexions with deep six if u find BH u like that fits it. Otherwise the FMJ 5mm. They r heavier, fly amazing, still fly flat & absolutely pummel things for penetration. Game changer.
I’ve shot: ramcat 125 Grain 1.5” cut deep six &
Wasp drone. Very happy with either. Lots of good BH’s out there. IMO- I like shooting a heavier arrow with good FOC - they r a tiny bit slower but I don’t care. Can’t tell any difference inside of 30 for me. But- when they hit bone or need that extra punch - that’s a game changer & why I shoot em. I’ll Never go back to lighter arrows.

Edge retention is something that is overlooked IMO. Some heads lose their edge on hide and hair on impact and lose their ability to cut. I was rarely impressed with the bloodtrails when I shot Slick Tricks and they always seemed dull after going through game. I did some research last year and was impressed by the Iron Will and the reports of how well they hold their edge. Too spendy though so I ended up going with QAD Exodus which also tested very well for edge retention and are super tough as well. Now I just need a chance to test them for myself.

A guy on youtube has tested A LOT of heads if you are interested. Look up Lusk Archery Adventures

Searched Rocket Hammerheads and see they are currently on sale at Amazon, though you need to spend $25 to get the deal: Hammerheads

I've shot tons of broadheads and really don't have a favorite. I have a real mish mash collection right now. Shooting Muzzy and Wasp fixed heads at the moment, but usually have a Jakhammer in the quiver. Just for something different, I might try the Rocket Hammerheads as I didn't mind Jakhammers.

Searched Rocket Hammerheads and see they are currently on sale at Amazon, though you need to spend $25 to get the deal: Hammerheads

I've shot tons of broadheads and really don't have a favorite. I have a real mish mash collection right now. Shooting Muzzy and Wasp fixed heads at the moment, but usually have a Jakhammer in the quiver. Just for something different, I might try the Rocket Hammerheads as I didn't mind Jakhammers.

Shot Hammerheads since Muddy Introduced me to them in 2006 or so. Hard to beat the Entrance and Exit holes these bad boys leave. Only issue with them is you will 100% bend a blade every deer you shoot. I have about 100 replacement blades so not a big deal and I will take the headache of replacing a blade for the damage they produce.

I've always had great luck with my Wasp Jak-Knife. Slender profile, strong as hell tip and feels just like a field point.

All good ones mentioned & solid advice.
I looked at iron will. Really like what I saw. I did look at a broadhead called “solid” a while back. Lil less expensive & also had very good reviews. Pretty similar. Those iron wills do look very cool & if price no issue- I’d try em too.
I think if I was gonna test just “fixed” again- I’d do wasp drones, ramcat, iron will & solids. I’ve shot 2 of those & like I said - crazy impressed. Good reviews on latter 2 but haven’t tested yet. I’d look at mechanicals if tons of KE, pull lot of poundage (both of which I do) & had issues hitting back (guts) more often then shoulder or bone. Low poundage, light arrow, bone + expandables... that’s One specific recipe that spooks me big time & I see that not play out well every season for way too many dudes I know. Which, pry doesn’t apply to many guys on here.

If u really wanna be satisfied..... go buy 4-5 brands u thinking. Dead of winter.... go set up lil range in garage or basement. I did tests with ballistic gel, wood, a material that mimicked bone, etc. see for yourself. Why I say to do that.... u can find 50 million reviews on YouTube where they do that.... when I did em for myself- my results were totally different than YouTube tests. For whatever reason. I decided to to test for myself & no doubt did it make my mind up and make me very confident in my choice.

QUESTION for u gurus!!!’..??????.....
Say u have a fixed broadhead that’s 1.5” diameter cutting (for sake of this discussion- say it flies 100% like field point). Then- u have a mechanical that also has a 1.5” cutting diameter. Also shoots like field tip. There’s undoubtedly some energy lost (even if minimal in some designs) with mechanicals to open, etc.
with that said- all things above equal with cutting diameter & accuracy. Is there ANY advantage to a mechanical in that situation?? I do ask this cause I see some fixed that fly perfect & the cutting diameter is close some smaller diameter expandables.

All good ones mentioned & solid advice.
I looked at iron will. Really like what I saw. I did look at a broadhead called “solid” a while back. Lil less expensive & also had very good reviews. Pretty similar. Those iron wills do look very cool & if price no issue- I’d try em too.
I think if I was gonna test just “fixed” again- I’d do wasp drones, ramcat, iron will & solids. I’ve shot 2 of those & like I said - crazy impressed. Good reviews on latter 2 but haven’t tested yet. I’d look at mechanicals if tons of KE, pull lot of poundage (both of which I do) & had issues hitting back (guts) more often then shoulder or bone. Low poundage, light arrow, bone + expandables... that’s One specific recipe that spooks me big time & I see that not play out well every season for way too many dudes I know. Which, pry doesn’t apply to many guys on here.

If u really wanna be satisfied..... go buy 4-5 brands u thinking. Dead of winter.... go set up lil range in garage or basement. I did tests with ballistic gel, wood, a material that mimicked bone, etc. see for yourself. Why I say to do that.... u can find 50 million reviews on YouTube where they do that.... when I did em for myself- my results were totally different than YouTube tests. For whatever reason. I decided to to test for myself & no doubt did it make my mind up and make me very confident in my choice.

I used the Solid Broadheads for two years. They were great heads and shot dead on. The reason I switch cause they were one and done. I killed 4 deer using them but each one the blade broke. They were covered under warranty if they broke only while shooting a animal. IMO and others the blades were very brittle and I had a hard time reshaping the blades due to the design. When the Outdoor group bought them they also started using a cheaper metal on the ferrule which would bend very easily.
I’m not hating on them but from first hand experience these were the issues I found.

Say u have a fixed broadhead that’s 1.5” diameter cutting (for sake of this discussion- say it flies 100% like field point). Then- u have a mechanical that also has a 1.5” cutting diameter. Also shoots like field tip. There’s undoubtedly some energy lost (even if minimal in some designs) with mechanicals to open, etc.
with that said- all things above equal with cutting diameter & accuracy. Is there ANY advantage to a mechanical in that situation?? I do ask this cause I see some fixed that fly perfect & the cutting diameter is close some smaller diameter expandables.
Not a guru, but my answer is No. If shooting an expandable the 2"+ diameter cuts are the way to go otherwise why shoot them.

I've debated throwing my 2 cents in here a couple times and stopped myself because I didn't want to sound like an A hole. Well here goes.

Every head mentioned here will have it's lovers and haters, including the OP's Montecs . I venture to guess a google search would prove that point.
In a case like the OP's the first thing I'd ask is if you shot those fixed heads to confirm they were hitting with field points before THIS season. Fixed heads of any type can be finicky. Maybe a string or cable stretched a bit. Maybe you had to contort your self in some strange way and torqued the bow causing bad flight. I've played around with grip and shooting fixed heads a lot. It doesn't take much change in grip to change point of impact.

The OP had success in the past with that head then 2 bad experiences this year. No doubt you've lost confidence in the Montec's and it's time for a change. IMO it's also pretty safe to say that if you had had a different head on your arrows and hit the deer in the same spot you would still have the same result. Maybe, just maybe a big 2" mech would have caught an artery just missed by the montec.

What I'm trying to say is so many things can be happening at the time of release with out a dead deer or at least video it's impossible to say what went wrong.

For the record I shoot a mix of mechanical and fixed. For mech's I shoot Wasp Jackhammers with a 1 1/4" cut. For fixed I use Slick Trick Standard 1" cut. I rarely have a fixed blade knocked. I have those little fixed blades setup for elk but I have killed enough deer with them to be confident in them. The only time I will knock one up deer hunting is when I find myself set up in a thick spot I have not been able to trim and the chance of catching a twig is greater.

As with everything in archery there are trade offs to be made. Hit one in the shoulder with a big mech you'll be wishing you had a small fixed. Hit one in the guts with a small fixed you'll be wishing you had a 2' mech.

Can't leave a BH discussion with out saying "shot placement is key." ;)

Sharp ones that's my answer. I like Shwackerss because they open up on the inside I get those blades really really really really really really really really sharp those blades are going to cut everything they touch.
1. Learn how to check sharpness. most people use a piece of computer paper
2. If they're not already extremely sharp get them extremely sharp. I would recommend a kme sharpener

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

That's a big NO! IMO you just risk a mechanical having a mechanical failure. That's why I switched to the Buzzcuts. They fly like a field tip and will blow through a shoulder. And I am real bad at hitting the shoulder! :)

I switched from slick tricks to grim reapers a couple years ago. I like to watch them drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flugge, last year I had something very similar happen after shooting a buck with a "montec". I have used them for 13 years and last year I ordered a new package off of Ebay right before my rut vacation. Two hours into my first hunt of the year a good buck was right under the stand so I aimed high to account for the sharp angle and let one rip. The buck took a few steps and stopped so I pulled out my phone to video him going down... The shot looked good to me and the deer started bleeding immediately, you can see blood below him in the photo. The entry hole is just to the left of his ear. The buck was able to recover himself and walked off slowly. As he left I could see blood running down the back of his front leg from the exit hole so I wasn't worried. I know enough that if one walks off you need to give them some time so I waited 5 hours. I followed decent blood for about 200 yards and then watched in disbelief as the buck bolted from under some thick stuff and ran straight up a very steep bank. I backed out and waited another 6 hours before trailing him again. Ended up losing blood and after 14 hours of searching I threw in the towel. While looking online at deer recovery threads and trying to figure how the hell he went that far, I discovered they make knockoff broadheads. Sure enough I started comparing the newest ones to legit montecs and there were subtle differences, I had been sold knockoffs. The ones I had purchased online were ridiculously dull, and I felt like crap for not checking them. I did find the buck, but it wasn't until two weeks later. He had traveled nearly a mile. I have had a g5 sharpening stone for years and now it goes with me to the tree where I use it often. I also switched to 125g for a slightly larger cut. I think montecs are a good head but they need to be sharp as possible, same as any head I assume.
492d494043a411b6bfa6184ba2087cb6.jpg
c8a23c08e5b029c6e209b56d26cc8994.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've heard of similar things for a lot of broad heads out there. For whatever reason I check the head on my arrow as I'm knocking up so have never had a problem with a dull blade. Freaks me out to even READ this now.

Paranoia and OCD in full effect now

Flugge, last year I had something very similar happen after shooting a buck with a "montec". I have used them for 13 years and last year I ordered a new package off of Ebay right before my rut vacation. Two hours into my first hunt of the year a good buck was right under the stand so I aimed high to account for the sharp angle and let one rip. The buck took a few steps and stopped so I pulled out my phone to video him going down... The shot looked good to me and the deer started bleeding immediately, you can see blood below him in the photo. The entry hole is just to the left of his ear. The buck was able to recover himself and walked off slowly. As he left I could see blood running down the back of his front leg from the exit hole so I wasn't worried. I know enough that if one walks off you need to give them some time so I waited 5 hours. I followed decent blood for about 200 yards and then watched in disbelief as the buck bolted from under some thick stuff and ran straight up a very steep bank. I backed out and waited another 6 hours before trailing him again. Ended up losing blood and after 14 hours of searching I threw in the towel. While looking online at deer recovery threads and trying to figure how the hell he went that far, I discovered they make knockoff broadheads. Sure enough I started comparing the newest ones to legit montecs and there were subtle differences, I had been sold knockoffs. The ones I had purchased online were ridiculously dull, and I felt like crap for not checking them. I did find the buck, but it wasn't until two weeks later. He had traveled nearly a mile. I have had a g5 sharpening stone for years and now it goes with me to the tree where I use it often. I also switched to 125g for a slightly larger cut. I think montecs are a good head but they need to be sharp as possible, same as any head I assume.
492d494043a411b6bfa6184ba2087cb6.jpg
c8a23c08e5b029c6e209b56d26cc8994.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Wow, sounds and looks about the same as my shot...I bought my broadheads out of Mills Fleet Farm so I assume they werent knockoffs but will be checking them all when I get home vs a brand new pack sitting there too.

Top Bottom