Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

looking for new scope.

beararchery

Well broke down and bought a new gun .243 to be exact. Mainly will be yote hunting with it and am curious on what kind of scope you guys would recommend. If it means much I have some spots where 200 yards wouldn't be a uncommon shot.

Whatever you do, don't cheap out on your glass. ALso get a good set of rings and a strong 1 piece base.

I have a Remington 700 .243 and I have 4.5-14 x 44 Scheels scope on it. It's decent for what it is. I also run a Weaver 3-10x 40 tactical on another rifle that I really like.

Do you want turrets or not?

I don't have one, but have heard good reviews on Vortex scopes especially how they handle warranty issues.

Ditto on both - I have VORTEX & Leupold VX-3's. No complaints on either. Both are very good scopes and I do believe they are significantly better many others I've had in the past.

Looked up both vortex and luepold, like the reticles in most of them...il have to give them a look next time in head to des Moines...thanks for the ideas.

Another question what magnification do you guys prefer?

I like something with a max of at least 10x, personally. Leupold and Vortex definitely make good scopes. I like to have some sort of BDC reticle. Nikon is another to consider. My favorite reticle is the mil-dot because its fairly simple to use. Also get 'STRELOK' on your phone. It's a ballastic calculator app that's very good to have.

Nikon and vortex are great scopes. I'm not a big fan of Leupolds but might just be a personal preference thing. All of my coyote rigs have either bushnell banners or the trophy series on top of them and it wasn't just by accident! :)

I like something with a max of at least 10x, personally. Leupold and Vortex definitely make good scopes. I like to have some sort of BDC reticle. Nikon is another to consider. My favorite reticle is the mil-dot because its fairly simple to use. Also get 'STRELOK' on your phone. It's a ballastic calculator app that's very good to have.

Yeah was looking at the mil-dot reticles. Probably something I'd like to have.

On my 25.06 I have a 4.5x14x40 and an a .270 I have a 3.5x10x40 and am extremely pleased with both. Either will work well out past 200 yards, but for longer shotstht the .243 would be capable of making I would go with the 4.5x14x40.

I've got pretty much all Leupolds, from VXI to VX6, 1.5-4 x up to 3-18 x. Can't say enough good about them. For your application a 4.5-14 40mm. should do very nicely. I've got 3 of them on various rifles. They can be had with a CDS (Custom Dial System) turret if you wish but for shots under 400 yards it's not really necessary.

For what your going to do with it. First choice would be a Burris fullfield2 4.5×14 sitting on Burris or loopy rings.
Vortex does make some amazing glass for the price. If I were in the market I would look at then very hard. And then the old standby loopy vx3. They will do what you want it just comes down to personal preference

Another thing to consider would be whether you do any night hunting. We do a lot of calling at night with a good moon. I went with a 50mm and the light gathering is way better than a 40mm.

Can't go wrong with Leupold. I have the Firedot on my coyote gun. Wouldn't trade that for anything. Also Firedot on my Muzzy. Best thing ever for low light.
Plus lifetime warranty.

I don't know if you have rings or not, but I would highly recommend the Burris Signature Series. I put them on my .22-250 this spring and will not be using anything different from now on. Watch this video to see what they are all about and how they work. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcRAX5OLtJE

Top Bottom