Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Looking for tractor/equipment

cornfield

I am looking to buy a small tractor and or equipment to work around 10 acres worth of plots. I don't know much about them at all and was wandering what other folks on here might recommend. Size, price, attachemts, etc? Anybody out there got anything they are looking to get rid of? Thanks.

Pharmer would be a great one to discuss this with. I think he has tried a huge assortment of machinery and would have some good ideas for you.

Did the PM thing to Silvertip, thought about it and wondered what kind of input everyone that is learning might have also.
First- I am not a farmer and bow to anyone making their living as one. They will be able to do things much more efficiently and to a better standard than I ever could. Picked up quite a bit of knowledge the hard way for us guys just trying to scratch things up enough to grow stuff. I'll share the gist of what I sent to Silvertip and look forward to other opinions.

ATVs are a great workhorse and can be fitted with sprayers that are very handy. My BIL has a really heavy duty pull behind mower that can handle fairly big saplings. I don't think that ATVs can handle breaking out old CRP sod because of the weight of the implements offered. They also can be very pricey for what you get. If you can get someone to plow or disk for you on the initial plots or are going to have someone no till for you, or you are going into existing tilled ground- I think an ATV would work fine. You will go slower and may not get a great looking seed bed without lots of extra effort.

You can pick up older tractors and implements fairly cheap if you look at local auctions, internet, and dealers. Money is always a tradeoff on tractors for dependability, power, and age. Any color tractor will work as long as you can get parts and service. Starting from scratch- I'd look for something with 40+hp, live PTO, PS, & hydraulics. A loader is really handy but will add $1000-1500 or so to the cost. I prefer a wide front end because most of the ground I have has some hill and roll to it. I just sold a nice outfit to Fishbonker last year. He knew what he was looking for so he may want to comment further.

After the tractor- you can do alot, if not all food plots with a small disk and a mower. A planter is nice but broadcasting worked for me. I have a plow to break out old CRP ground and cuts down on the number of passes I had to make with the disk. An old harrow section will smooth and cover broadcasted seed just great.

I have picked up alot of advice on the www.ytmag.com site. The "using your tractor" forum and "tractor talk" forum are great places to start. Lots of small acreage owners are looking for advice.
Pharmer

Silvertip, This Massey of mine is for sale. Runs great. 800.00 PM me if interested.
f9594bc1.jpg

Silver,

About five years ago I researched the compact utility lines of New Holland, Deere and Kubota. All are good tractors new or used. I settled on a 35HP New Holland with Land Pride mower, Kuhn tiller and bought a Befco spreader. The whole package went for around 16K. Try this web site for info, opinions and prices. (www.tractorpoint.com) Good Luck.

Thanks for all the help. Man this stuff is fun. I can't wait till this spring when I can get out there and start building for fall again.

Top Bottom